Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job offer Muscat for teacher Advice!

Job offer Muscat for teacher Advice!

Old Jun 15th 2017, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

dany86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Job offer Muscat for teacher Advice!

Hi

I have been offered a teaching job in Oman for 1400 OMR monthly. Includes housing allowance, health insurance and tickets home.

I am a single male.

Would this salary be enough for me to live on and save good money?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer Muscat for teacher Advice!

can you post us the last 12 months of your bank statements? that way, we'll have some idea of what you spend in proportion to what you get.

Otherwise, the answer based on the info you've provided is as long as a piece of string...
Old Jun 16th 2017, 11:37 am
Just Joined

dany86 is an unknown quantity at this point

It was just a general question in respect to the living costs etc in Oman. I am single. I am not sure about rent etc but I have heard it is not cheap.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

FrederickBloggs is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not know about you, but I can live really low cost. I doubt I would be happy in Muscat on that kind of money.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Muscat is cheaper than many of the other Gulf cities, but that's not a great salary. If you're going back to the UK you can save "some" money but not "good" money.

Are you a qualified school teacher in the UK, or is this an EFL job? For a qualified school teacher, coming to the Middle East is professionally risky. If you're EFL, however, it's probably the best spot financially (in the generic sense) for you.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You will not save much on that - but it could be an interesting experience. A period anywhere in the Middle East does not always enhance the CV, It can be difficult to get back into teaching in UK after working in the region for a lengthy period - whether in EFL or in international schools.

On that salary you certainly could not support a family, unless the employer took care of ticketing, housing, health cover and education.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

eastrunner is an unknown quantity at this point

Cost of Living in Muscat everything per month
1 bed flat 300-400 OMR, you will find better prices if you flatshare
cost to rent a car cheapest I have seen recently is 120 OMR (Mazda2)
Cost of Groceries single person 120 OMR
Utilities 25 OMR (electricity and water)
Broadband 20 OMR

That's not a great Salary for Muscat to be honest if you want to save money, but if you keep away from champagne buffets, and expensive hotels you can have a good experience in the gulf.

ER