Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job Offer in Dubai - help with accommodation!

Job Offer in Dubai - help with accommodation!

Old Mar 1st 2017, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Taz786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Offer in Dubai - help with accommodation!

To be fair, metro isn't bad if you take the gold class. Note, getting a seat depends where you get on or off though.

I prefer metro than rush hour traffic but its my own preference.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Aye. Pay no attention to Scamp. He has a personal vendetta against the metro because it doesn't take him directly from his front door to his favourite golf course

Originally Posted by Taz786
To be fair, metro isn't bad if you take the gold class. Note, getting a seat depends where you get on or off though.

I prefer metro than rush hour traffic but its my own preference.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 7:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Only since you told me I was wrong for pointing out it's not that useful.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CeeBee
We looked at loads of apartments in the marina. There's some real cr@p out there so if you want any advice feel free to PM me. Avoid jlt. It's not that much cheaper and you'll pay for a.c costs on top. Plus it's boring and there isn't much there (people that live there will disagree). Marina is definitely the place to be so ignore anybody that tells you to look further out like sports / motor city.

Traffic can be bad but it's really not as bad as people make out. The ones that complain are the ones that came here 8 or 9 years ago when it was dead. Compared to the UK it's a breeze. Just avoid driving anywhere near jbr on a Friday afternoon or after 7 or 8 at night and you'll be fine. Hence why living in the marina makes sense as you can walk / tram it everywhere (again the tram is excellent despite people saying it's rubbish). As is the metro.
I gotta agree with SCAMP.....this is to a large extent complete shyte. I have lived in both the Marina (5 yrs) and JLT (3 yrs). The ONLY thing the marina has going for itself is the marina/sea view - absolutely NO point in living in the marina if all you will see are the buildings through your window.
Most of the buildings are extremely old and sh*t...IMO there are only about 2-3 reasonable buildings worth living in the marina:
Orra Marina
Opal Tower
Cayan Tower
most others are either:
too small
sh*t building
sh*t layout
no balcony or the balcony is off the bedroom which is completely pointless

Last edited by mission; Mar 1st 2017 at 9:07 am.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
I gotta agree with SCAMP.....this is to a large extent complete shyte. I have lived in both the Marina (5 yrs) and JLT (3 yrs). The ONLY thing the marina has going for itself is the marina/sea view - absolutely NO point in living in the marina if all you will see are the buildings through your window.
Most of the buildings are extremely old and sh*t...IMO there are only about 2-3 reasonable buildings worth living in the marina:
Orra Marina
Opal Tower
Cayan Tower
most others are either:
too small
sh*t building
sh*t layout
no balcony or the balcony is off the bedroom which is completely pointless
Trident...
Cascades...
Old Mar 1st 2017, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Scamp
**** me, what a load of bullshit.

Traffic in the Marina not that bad?
'Marina is definitely the place to be'
'the tram is excellent'
'as is the metro'

Were you paid to lie?
Nope, merely expressing my opinion. I assume that's ok? I'll ask permission next time sir.

Go on them all knowing seasoned expat give us your alternative suggestion for a newcomer to the city. I'm dying to hear it.

Ps. Don't be so aggressive.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 3:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by CeeBee
Nope, merely expressing my opinion. I assume that's ok? I'll ask permission next time sir.

Go on them all knowing seasoned expat give us your alternative suggestion for a newcomer to the city. I'm dying to hear it.

Ps. Don't be so aggressive.
Oh dear.

You suggested that the ONLY place to consider living is the Marina....not even considering a person who may not work next to it. The OP for example will be in Healthcare city so living in the Marina as the ONLY option is bullshit, because it is.

As for other suggestions, I'll start with Downtown or DIFC or Business Bay or SZR. Any of those would be far better placed for someone working in Healthcare city than the Marina.

PS. No need to ask permission in future, just try to think before typing.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Trident...
Cascades...
Trident is good
I have never been to Cascades - but I was under the impression it was shyte also?
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
Trident is good
I have never been to Cascades - but I was under the impression it was shyte also?
Cascades is OK, obviously there are some less desirable apartments but generally they're big and well laid out. Some apartments do have issues with the noise from the neighbouring buildings roof mounted AC units. They've had the ministry out several times who have take readings and said the noise is excessive.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

chipie is an unknown quantity at this point

What are peoples thoughts on Al Barsha for living?

I need to find some accommodation within next six weeks, office is located near FGB Metro although I anticipate sorting a vehicle, using the Metro isn't an issue having suffered London Underground for so long.

I'm mid-forties so somewhere steady but still somewhere sociable with the odd decent bar within walking distance.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chipie

I need to find some accommodation within next six weeks, office is located near FGB Metro although I anticipate sorting a vehicle, using the Metro isn't an issue having suffered London Underground for so long.

I'm mid-forties so somewhere steady but still somewhere sociable with the odd decent bar within walking distance.
Cheap and not very cheerful.

Maybe tecom although it's damn depressing there.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit grim mate to be honest , it all depends on what you want though . Some decent bars round there though and you'll never be short on company !
Old Mar 5th 2017, 4:42 am
Account Closed

Buy a business card holder. A large one.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Barsha is a big area and most of it is villas, but I assume you're referring to the apartment ghettos behind Mall of Emirates and along Sheikh Zayed

This area can be divided into two sections. The first part is directly behind Mall of Emirates and is a high-rise (up to 20 floors thereabouts) ghetto that's looking worse for the wear. Some buildings are fine enough, others are downright dire. A number of inexpensive hotels with cheap bars in the area. Upside is that you can walk easily to Mall of Emirates and there's scads of inexpensive cheap eats (and, err....'massage' parlours).

The other part is south of MoE and alongside Sheikh Zayed and goes back inland a few blocks. This is the better area, relatively speaking. There's one actually very nice mid-rise apartment block reminiscent of a European building, with shops and cheap Arabic grills/kebab places on the ground floor and well-kept, bright and airy apartments. The other buildings are not as nice and quality varies. A few hotels dot the area with their bars. This area is handy to Sharaf metro (two stops to FGB where G&D Park is).

If you find an apartment you like and are comfortable with, Barsha, especially the latter area I described, can be just fine and dandy, especially if you intend to take the metro to work daily. Driving in/out during rush hour can be a mare, which is why you'd want to take the metro. Weekend traffic is generally not a problem, especially for the nicer part of Barsha. The location is central, only a few minutes from the Marina and slightly longer to reach Downtown.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

The Greens may also be a shout.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.