Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Dubai

Job offer in Dubai

Old Nov 30th 2016, 6:57 am
Just Joined

Londoner77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer in Dubai

hello everyone, have been looking around and reading up, but still not sure. have an offer from a firm in Dubai to move out there on a base of AED 50k/month, with a living allowance (for rent mainly) of AED 15k/month, plus AED 30k/year for each child towards education and a relocation compensation of a one-off AED35k - how does this stack up locally there in Dubai please? thanks for any help / advice
Old Nov 30th 2016, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer in Dubai

Depends what you do, for a CEO it's crap, but for a road sweeper it's brilliant.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 7:49 am
Just Joined

thanks, ok - actually it's just a middle management position in a firm there, what I meant was on a normal standard of living, does this help to cover all the costs associated with accommodation, travel, education etc. and leave enough to save realistically? cheers
Old Nov 30th 2016, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

50 monthly base plus 180k housing allowance (annual as rents are paid in 1-2 cheques for the most part), plus 30k per child towards their education.

You will dip into your base salary for the school fees as 50k is the minimum you'd spend at the better British schools and it goes up very quickly from there.

All in all, a perfectly fine package. You'll live comfortably and should save quite a bit too (if that's your priority). Or you could spend all of it and live very flash!

The devil is also in the details. Will the company advance you the housing allowance a whole year up front? Makes a huge difference.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 7:54 am
Just Joined

thanks for that, yes they said the living allowance is payable in the first month for the entire year in order to be able to pay for rent. it seems that the only piece which is a bit below needs is the school fees, but because the base is good, I can dip into it as you say, then try and convert the rest to GBP after living costs and save up as much as possible...well that is the plan anyway...
Old Nov 30th 2016, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londoner77
hello everyone, have been looking around and reading up, but still not sure. have an offer from a firm in Dubai to move out there on a base of AED 50k/month, with a living allowance (for rent mainly) of AED 15k/month, plus AED 30k/year for each child towards education and a relocation compensation of a one-off AED35k - how does this stack up locally there in Dubai please? thanks for any help / advice
that's a good package overall, although as DXB mentioned the school fees seem a little low (how many kids do you have and what age are they?)
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Iggle?
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:18 am
Just Joined

thanks, two kids aged 10 and 6 - I think 25k/year each maybe covers about a third of schools fees and the rest I will have to pay myself out of base
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londoner77
thanks, two kids aged 10 and 6 - I think 25k/year each maybe covers about a third of schools fees and the rest I will have to pay myself out of base
Thought it was 30k/year/child?
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:45 am
Just Joined

sorry, yes 30k/year - I am getting mixed up. thanks
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

chipie is an unknown quantity at this point

Out of interest, what market sector is the job offer in?