Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Internet Access - Games

Internet Access - Games

Old May 22nd 2014, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Malkin61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internet Access - Games

Hey all, thanks to all so far for info shared. Me and the missus are still seriously considering teaching in Saudi. We both play online games and love our TV - like everyone else I guess.

Can anyone tell us what the service is like out there? May sound daft to some but we're both sitting here chatting online and playing games (despite our age..)

Thanks

Ray
Old May 22nd 2014, 6:09 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet Access - Games

Set up a VPN for ~£80/yr and you will have a IP address in the UK, so you can access whatever websites you want, play online games, access SkyGo for TV etc. The only restriction is your broadband speed, which depends on where you live.

You can even download Wolfenstein - The New Order @ 44GB, just to annoy your local BB provider
Old May 22nd 2014, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

bodieanddoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Set up a VPN for ~£80/yr and you will have a IP address in the UK, so you can access whatever websites you want, play online games, access SkyGo for TV etc. The only restriction is your broadband speed, which depends on where you live.

You can even download Wolfenstein - The New Order @ 44GB, just to annoy your local BB provider
what he said - we use <snip> VPN. Works great.

Last edited by Bob; May 22nd 2014 at 9:01 pm. Reason: PM for deets. Folks don't like them openly posted so they dont' get blocked.
Old May 22nd 2014, 9:33 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Set up a VPN for ~£80/yr
That's a bloody expensive VPN. We're with one of the major ones, and it's £40 per year.

We don't have to use it much, though. Only really for bypassing the geolocking on UK and US TV streaming sites, and we only stream when we want to watch something live. It's all torrents otherwise.

Last edited by Eeyore; May 22nd 2014 at 9:35 pm.
Old May 23rd 2014, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Malkin61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Once again thanks for the information - muchly appreciated
Old Jul 10th 2014, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

pomomp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Eeyore
That's a bloody expensive VPN. We're with one of the major ones, and it's £40 per year.

We don't have to use it much, though. Only really for bypassing the geolocking on UK and US TV streaming sites, and we only stream when we want to watch something live. It's all torrents otherwise.
What torrrnt sites would you recommend?
Old Jul 10th 2014, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Malkin61
Hey all, thanks to all so far for info shared. Me and the missus are still seriously considering teaching in Saudi. We both play online games and love our TV - like everyone else I guess.

Can anyone tell us what the service is like out there? May sound daft to some but we're both sitting here chatting online and playing games (despite our age..)

Thanks

Ray

What the service is like? Get fibre optic and you're reasonably fine. On the 4g side of things I'd of recommend STC as their ping means you can just play on servers back home, although sometimes not. I had Mobily 4g last and the ping was too high, plus last Ramadan it went down to half of dialup speed and didn't get better till after the month was up. It was as if they had no service technicians in the kingdom during that period so I'll never, ever give them my hard earned again.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there risks involved in using a VPN to, say, torrent content (be it a Disney film or an adult movie)? Do VPNs simply get blocked quietly, or have any individuals been pulled up on the content they've accessed? (I'm well aware the whole point in a VPN is to avoid telling everyone what you're doing. Just wondered how 'equipped' UAE is in seeing through that.)
Old Jul 15th 2014, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

The main objection to using torrents is likely to come from your VPN provider, many of whom forbid the use of P2P software (because VPN connections are contended, so if everyone started P2P-ing then your VPN speed would drop to a crawl).