Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

International Schools in Qatar

International Schools in Qatar

Old Jul 17th 2017, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

CArken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International Schools in Qatar

I work in the airline industry and am considering applying for a role in Qatar (specifically with Qatar Airways). Before I do so, I wanted to better understand Qatar's education system. I have a 14 year old son and a 8 year old daughter, and want to consider them first before addressing other areas.

Would someone be able to outline the 3-5 best international school options, detailing the pros/cons of each one?

I'm also keen to understand approximate fee levels for each of these options.

If I do end up going with Qatar Airways, I noticed they have their own school (Oryx International School) - how does this compare to the 3-5 options above?
Old Jul 17th 2017, 3:39 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Schools in Qatar

Hi and welcome to the forum.

My recommendation would be to send your kids to private school in the UK, don't bring them with you to Qatar. If you must, then this is the best school: Doha College

You'd need to be earning a QR 60,000/ month all-in package to make it worthwhile relocating your family to Qatar, which I doubt QA will be offering anyone other than their expat executives. Job security is non-existent here, compounded by the current political turmoil.

Here are some thoughts from your prospective CEO...

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; Jul 17th 2017 at 3:41 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

International Schools anywhere in the Gulf region are not as good an educational environment as they might appear at first sight. Children do not often stay for long and the experience of being a pupil there can be unsettling for some.

I speak from the experience of our family. I worked for Saudi Arabian Airlines in Jeddah for 6 years and my youngest daughter spent some years at the American School in Jeddah. At the time a cynical colleague said "This school does not produce many winners." He was right.

I suspect Qatar is not different.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with the other two posters. Think very carefully before putting children of that age into school there and consider UK boarding options (or, relatives).