Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

International Driving Permit - France

International Driving Permit - France

Old May 21st 2017, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default International Driving Permit - France

Morning

Off to France next week and have booked a hire car and I'm now wondering if there is any need to get an IDP?

Have any of you guys hired a car in France using a UAE licence?

Cheers
Old May 21st 2017, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Driving Permit - France

nope never driven in froggy land
*waits of MISS ANN to reprimand her*
Old May 21st 2017, 7:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Morning

Off to France next week and have booked a hire car and I'm now wondering if there is any need to get an IDP?

Cheers
Google should give a better answer than me but often the hire car rules can tell you if you need. I got one for South Africa because lots of places said you don't need it unless the police stop you and want to be helmets. Didn't take long in Dnata / Emirates building in Business Bay and lasts a few years I think.
Old May 21st 2017, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Google should give a better answer than me but often the hire car rules can tell you if you need. I got one for South Africa because lots of places said you don't need it unless the police stop you and want to be helmets. Didn't take long in Dnata / Emirates building in Business Bay and lasts a few years I think.
I did have a bit of a google. Including the ATCUAE website (who issue them) and under the list of countries that require them was..... pretty much every country including France, the UK and the UAE strangely enough.

Apparently I can apply online, they cost 170 dibs and they last a year.
Old May 21st 2017, 8:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I did have a bit of a google. Including the ATCUAE website (who issue them) and under the list of countries that require them was..... pretty much every country including France, the UK and the UAE strangely enough.

Apparently I can apply online, they cost 170 dibs and they last a year.
Reckon you'll have to go get it at some point. Took me about 15 mins all in all, quite easy and the local lady who did it was a right laugh, great service.
Old May 21st 2017, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Reckon you'll have to go get it at some point. Took me about 15 mins all in all, quite easy and the local lady who did it was a right laugh, great service.
Just ordered one online. Says it's be here in 3 working days.....
Old May 21st 2017, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I have rented on a UAE licence in France, as well as several other Continental countries. No problem.

As you probably know, IDP is not an actual licence or permit, it is just a translation of your existing licence.
Old May 21st 2017, 9:05 am
Account Closed

Just ordered one online. Says it's be here in 3 working days.....
Sounds much easier. I think that option was maybe available through one of the driving clubs when I did it, maybe it's new.
Old May 21st 2017, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Sounds much easier. I think that option was maybe available through one of the driving clubs when I did it, maybe it's new.
Yeah it was 170 AED from the ATC UAE who actually issue it. The Emirates Driving folk wanted 200 AED, cheeky beggars!
Old May 21st 2017, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carcajou
I have rented on a UAE licence in France, as well as several other Continental countries. No problem.

As you probably know, IDP is not an actual licence or permit, it is just a translation of your existing licence.
To be honest I was thinking it was going to be fine and obv rent in the UK on a UAE licence all the time, the thing is this is a family hols and I couldn't be arsed with any issues and I know how arseholeish hire car companies can be if they want to be.

Well it kind of is a permit, hence it being called a permit but I get your point.
Old May 21st 2017, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I was thinking it was going to be fine and obv rent in the UK on a UAE licence all the time, the thing is this is a family hols and I couldn't be arsed with any issues and I know how arseholeish hire car companies can be if they want to be.

Well it kind of is a permit, hence it being called a permit but I get your point.
I absolutely agree with you - better safe than sorry - and I have one myself. But never been asked for it.
Old May 21st 2017, 11:59 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
I absolutely agree with you - better safe than sorry - and I have one myself. But never been asked for it.
Same here - have rented in multiple countries and never required it. I got it for Canada as I recall but they didn't care either, at least not in Quebec. Aus/NZ and more than a half dozen European countries: all the same. I wish it had been required in Lebanon, as driving there is an experience I never want to repeat.

The thing is if you look at most detail on car hire reservations, they say that if your licence is not in the Roman alphabet then you need an IDP as it is an official translation. However, UAE licences have all relevant information in English as well as Arabic so even if they say they need it I have never found a place that isn't happy just to take the details from the UAE licence directly.

Note that the IDP is only valid for a year so not an inconsiderable cost if you have to keep renewing
Old May 21st 2017, 12:01 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
nope never driven in froggy land
*waits of MISS ANN to reprimand her*
Appropriate chastisement will be arranged.
Old May 21st 2017, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

Yeah it was 170 AED from the ATC UAE who actually issue it. The Emirates Driving folk wanted 200 AED, cheeky beggars!
Ah OK, the ATC one was the place I saw online too, but seeing as I live walking distance(ish) to the Dnata place, I just drove there one day.
Old May 24th 2017, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Morning

Cheers
I have a few years ago - no problem (without an IDL)