Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Initial costs for settling in Dubai

Initial costs for settling in Dubai

Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Initial costs for settling in Dubai

However you try to plan in advance, be aware of one thing:

You will spend a lot more money than you anticipate. Especially in your first six months - year.

A lot more.

It's the nature of the place. You can set up your excel sheets and try to account for everything in advance, but when reality hits you, whoa!
Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Taz786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I am conscious the costs will always be higher than expected. It's similar to my experiences with buying a car in the past. I always go higher than my initial budget as I am easily swayed on the luxuries

I may have sounded anal from this thread and trying to over-plan, but the general purpose was to get a rough idea on the costing. I have multiple options available such as renting my own flat vs. sharing or furnishing it fully vs. gradually. My concern is the company will only put me in a hotel for couple of weeks so should know what I would generally like to do before I arrive. I am not planning everything from now..
Old Apr 27th 2015, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Taz786
Yes I am conscious the costs will always be higher than expected. It's similar to my experiences with buying a car in the past. I always go higher than my initial budget as I am easily swayed on the luxuries

I may have sounded anal from this thread and trying to over-plan, but the general purpose was to get a rough idea on the costing. I have multiple options available such as renting my own flat vs. sharing or furnishing it fully vs. gradually. My concern is the company will only put me in a hotel for couple of weeks so should know what I would generally like to do before I arrive. I am not planning everything from now..
Wise to plan but don't make your monthly budget too restrictive early on. It's important to get out and about and meet new folk and all that shit.

I spent a fortune for the first 2 years. In fact, I still do, I just earn more now.

Don't take on too much / any debt in setting up if avoidable.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

If you're really smart, start spending time on us expat sites as well. When those guys go home they have to shift all their White goods cheap and they will probably have looked after them
Old Apr 27th 2015, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Taz786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Smart advice Scamp.

Good idea Tockalosh.. Will do that. Thanks.