Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Old Apr 12th 2014, 6:10 am
Just Joined

Dorris77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Hi all I've had alook through the links for compound suggestions in Kholbar but if all seems old?
Old Apr 12th 2014, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Ask your (or husbands) HR department, they should have a list of places, and may have some swing to get you in one. Same for education too, if your kids are old enough.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Dorris77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you :-)
Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

doodlediver is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm moving to Jeddah in August. I'm a smoker,
who smokes Rolling Tobacco.
My question is: can I buy Rolling Tobacco &
Rolling Papers, in Jeddah?
Will I be allowed to bring my own into the
country?
Thanks for offering your help.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 5:53 am
Just Joined

fizz32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Imi7
I have a general question as regards to leaving KSA. I am contractor for the Al Hoty group am still in my 3 months probation period but I want to return back to the UK this country is not for me. I have a job back in the UK with a start date. My contractor will not release my passport or issue me a final exit visa until i pay him 27000Sar ( recruitment costs) I was not made aware of any of theses hidden cost during my interview back in the UK. I do not have this kind of cash i feel am am trapped hear.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

seasons is an unknown quantity at this point

Fizz that sounds terrible....I hope you find a way out

Seasons
Old Apr 15th 2014, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Robinlee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fizz32
Hi Imi7
I have a general question as regards to leaving KSA. I am contractor for the Al Hoty group am still in my 3 months probation period but I want to return back to the UK this country is not for me. I have a job back in the UK with a start date. My contractor will not release my passport or issue me a final exit visa until i pay him 27000Sar ( recruitment costs) I was not made aware of any of theses hidden cost during my interview back in the UK. I do not have this kind of cash i feel am am trapped hear.
I know it's not a great help, but ride it out to the end of the probation, don't work hard, get sacked.

I don't yet live in the the Middle East but can't the embassy help you?
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robinlee
but can't the embassy help you?
The British embassy is there to sell weapons.

Last edited by OleJanx; Apr 15th 2014 at 9:13 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Sida is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,

Can I have some advise on Riyadh living please as currently I am also waiting for my written formal contract.

The questions I have is about housing, school and transport.

I've been offered a budget of SR 82K for housing, can I easily get a 2 bed villa in a western compound within this budget?

In regards to the school, I find British school too expensive and out of my budget. Any idea about other schools less expensive offering the same British curriculum?

On the transport side, can you please advise how much its gonna cost me to lease a brand new reasonable car like Accord or Camry? Any deposits needed ? How much is the monthly installment?

Thanks,

Sida
Old Apr 20th 2014, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Heisenberg_WW is an unknown quantity at this point

Sida ..

I don't really know housing costs, as ive been here for a short time and live in a company provided compound ..

In regards to school - if you want a British curriculum based, then you are kind of limited in choice to the British school .. there is the Multinational School which follows the Australian Curriculum .... there are other international schools (e.g. kingdom school) which teach in English, but they don't follow the British system .. also you have to bear in mind that those schools will have mainly arab kids from all over the middle east, so ur kid(s) may feel out of place as those kids are likely to speak to each other in arabic..

Rental of cars can get expensive .. much cheaper to buy one .. for a mid sized car it will be around 3,000 SAR a month ..
Old Apr 20th 2014, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Asak is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am currently living in Abu Dhabi. Will most likely relocate to Riyadh which scares me a bit since I only heard bad things about it specially to live there as a woman. We've got 2 children (5 and 2). Is there anywhere I can read about what is not allowed to do as a woman? How do mums normally go anywhere with their kids, do most have private drivers or is taxi ok? Is there anyone that got some nice things to say about living there? Thank you! /Asa
Old Apr 20th 2014, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

lostinthedust is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been offered a budget of SR 82K for housing, can I easily get a 2 bed villa in a western compound within this budget?

No, a 2 bed villa on the cheapest western compound will start at 120K. There are also long waiting lists.

In regards to the school, I find British school too expensive and out of my budget. Any idea about other schools less expensive offering the same British curriculum?

The Multi-National School is a little bit cheaper, but has Australian curriculum
Old Apr 21st 2014, 5:12 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Multinational School is only Australian at primary. It's British in secondary because they offer IGCSEs etc.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 5:15 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Asak
Hi, I am currently living in Abu Dhabi. Will most likely relocate to Riyadh which scares me a bit since I only heard bad things about it specially to live there as a woman. We've got 2 children (5 and 2). Is there anywhere I can read about what is not allowed to do as a woman? How do mums normally go anywhere with their kids, do most have private drivers or is taxi ok? Is there anyone that got some nice things to say about living there? Thank you! /Asa
I actually quite like it here. You can have a very good life and it's relaxed. Parties every weekend if you want. Most people are very friendly, Saudis included in that. It depends what you need in your life, but IMO there are a lot worse places than KSA.

I'm male though so I can't offer a perspective on the female experience.

My wife has a driver taking her somewhere most of the time, but she does use taxis sometimes too.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Sida
Hello All,

Can I have some advise on Riyadh living please as currently I am also waiting for my written formal contract.

The questions I have is about housing, school and transport.

On the transport side, can you please advise how much its gonna cost me to lease a brand new reasonable car like Accord or Camry? Any deposits needed ? How much is the monthly installment?

Thanks,

Sida
you could get an apartment just about, probably on that budget. A friend of a friend just got a 2 bed flat for 90,000.

Alternatively you could live off compound and get a nice 3/4 bed villa and have change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.