Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Old Feb 1st 2014, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

imi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant future
Default Re: If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Originally Posted by Heisenberg_WW
Anyone know what a good price in Riyadh is for a used 4x4 .. maybe 3/4 years old?. Any experience of buying a car in Saudi?
No real specific places, but off Exit 28 on Makkah (Khurais) Road there is the car market - 1000's of cars and 100's of dealers. Whatever you need you will find there. Otherwise try the expat boards like Expatriates.com as you do get decent cars here.

What is your budget? Its very tricky buying a good 2nd car here, as cars are subjected to extreme heat and driving conditions (simply put ppl abusing their cars) - but after a lick of polish and Hey Presto, it looks like a 'decent' car.

A few points to note: The 2nd car market is a lottery - find a recommended mechanic who can join you to give the car a once over. The car diagnostic places in the souk are not reliable as I'm pretty sure the garage and mechanics all know each other (generalist statement, but I know this happens). The best 4x4 for this country is the Toyota Landcruiser - very popular here and therefore quite expensive, but on the other hand maintains it s value very well due to this popularity. A good value car is the Kia Mohave - 7 seater with 7 years bumper to bumper warranty and great value for money. I bought a German car, and when it goes wrong I get ripped off for the parts so I source all my bits n bobs form the UK

FYI it took me 4 months to buy a decent 2nd hand german 4x4 that wasnt to shabby.

Cheers
Imi
Old Feb 1st 2014, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

imi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mzala
Hi Imi7,

Thanks for this thread, very kind of you !!
Some questions from me:

I will be moving to Riyadh from the UK shortly. My sponsor has said that they will put me on a Business Visa. What are the limitations of this type of visa? What challenges am I likely to encounter? Can i easily rent an apartment?

They also intend to put me on 6 monthly rolling contracts. Would it be a good thing to accept this arrangement?
The usual limitations of a Business visa are as follows:-

- you cannot open a bank account
- renting an apartment will be difficult - I rent an apartment on a 2 year rolling contract and had to show my resident ID to get this done. That said, there maybe some landlords who will rent on a 6m basis but will probably charge more. Ask your company to assist and provide any necessary guarantees.
- for a business visa, you usually have to leave the kingdom every 30 days as a prerequisite (this rule may have changed as it has been a while since I came across a business visa) - what this entails usually is driving across to Bahrain (or flying to any other country) ie exiting Saudi, only to re-enter soon thereafter (you can literally re-enter after 10 minutes lol).
- 6m rolling contracts may have a bearing on your UK tax status. TO be classed an non-resident (therefore get your income tax free), you have to show that you are in full time employment and you are out of the UK for a full tax year (recently they have changed some criteria).
- I only come across this short term rolling contract if they pay Contractor rates - if not, then I would be wary of why they are offering you only a 6m rolling assignment.
- If you get paid in Saudi locally, with only a business visa its difficult to repatriate your money through Western union etc as you don't have a residents card.
- you cannot buy a car.

Your main challenge is that a business visit visa should be used for just that purpose ie visiting a business to conduct meetings etc etc. But a lot of people do this as its easier for the company as they may not have a resident visa available for you (ask your Company if they are willing to provide you with an Iqama - local resident visa).

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by imi7
No real specific places, but off Exit 28 on Makkah (Khurais) Road there is the car market - 1000's of cars and 100's of dealers. Whatever you need you will find there. Otherwise try the expat boards like Expatriates.com as you do get decent cars here.

What is your budget? Its very tricky buying a good 2nd car here, as cars are subjected to extreme heat and driving conditions (simply put ppl abusing their cars) - but after a lick of polish and Hey Presto, it looks like a 'decent' car.

A few points to note: The 2nd car market is a lottery - find a recommended mechanic who can join you to give the car a once over. The car diagnostic places in the souk are not reliable as I'm pretty sure the garage and mechanics all know each other (generalist statement, but I know this happens). The best 4x4 for this country is the Toyota Landcruiser - very popular here and therefore quite expensive, but on the other hand maintains it s value very well due to this popularity. A good value car is the Kia Mohave - 7 seater with 7 years bumper to bumper warranty and great value for money. I bought a German car, and when it goes wrong I get ripped off for the parts so I source all my bits n bobs form the UK

FYI it took me 4 months to buy a decent 2nd hand german 4x4 that wasnt to shabby.

Cheers
Imi
Be very wary buying a second hand car if it has been imported. I looked at a few imports and on running a VIN check they had all, without fail, been written off in a major car crash in the US, "repaired" and exported to Saudi with a scrubbed history. Even if it's a genuine Saudi car it has probably been used and abused.

Also there is less incentive to buy second hand cars in Saudi because they hold their resale value here much better than in the UK or USA (people tell me 10% depreciation a year). I'm not sure why but it's probably because the car manufacturers prop up the second hand market by re-purchasing at high prices, plus you can only import cars less than 3 years old, so there is overall a smaller number of second hand cars on sale.

Finally, buying on expatriates.com is a pain because there are a lot of scammers who copy genuine adverts, insert a lower price and then try to get you to transfer money overseas in exchange for a car which you'll never receive. Sometimes 90% of adverts are fake and it is a pain wading through to find the geunine ones.

Last edited by FriendlyExpat; Feb 2nd 2014 at 8:08 am.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

nathanielrichard1604 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Imi7, I have been offered a senior position to be based either in Dammam or across the causeway in Bahrain. Monthly salary is in the SR30-35k region. It will be just my wife and I as I have a son studying in Leicester (he will visit from time to time). We are used to a high standard of living. Will the salary afford us to live comfortably (on or off compound?)and to save? Any advice will be welcomed.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nathanielrichard1604
Hi Imi7, I have been offered a senior position to be based either in Dammam or across the causeway in Bahrain. Monthly salary is in the SR30-35k region. It will be just my wife and I as I have a son studying in Leicester (he will visit from time to time). We are used to a high standard of living. Will the salary afford us to live comfortably (on or off compound?)and to save? Any advice will be welcomed.
is this salary all inclusive? to hire a decent 2 bedroom flat in Khobar you need around 25 SAR a year, which is affordable given your salary. For a flat in a compound you are looking at 100k SAR per year.
Your salary is good if accommodation is provided. As for grocery and food (not including eating out), you and your wife probably need 4 to 5k SAR a month.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hi. I do not know the exact cost of living in Khobar, but agree with EastWest that compounds are 4-5 times more expensive than living in the city. However, if you choose to live across the waters in Bahrain then to live to a 'high standard' you could be looking at least SR 12k/m (eg place is called Amwaj Island - beautiful resort type place but 30-40mins from the Causeway) - I know Brits who lived here and worked in Dammam.

For grocery, we usually spend SR 5-700/week.

SR 35k/m is good if accommodation is provided. If not, then I would think about the overall cost of housing/transport/living.

On a general note, eating out here much cheaper than in the UK.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

On a general note, eating out here much cheaper than in the UK.
And extremely hazardous to waistline and health. Really to be avoided for long stays.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 10:35 am
Just Joined

bobbym is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi imi7,

Thanks for offering your knowledge to all the board members here.

I'm a British expat currently working in Copenhagen. My company wants to send me to Riyadh for a 6 month stint to work on some of our projects there. We're in the process of organising all the documentation and visas.

Do you know whether I can apply for a business visa at the local KSA embassy in Copenhagen? Or do I need to return to the UK? I'm trying to avoid having to spend an extended amount of time in the UK waiting for my visa to be processed.

Cheers mate!
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobbym
Hi imi7,

Thanks for offering your knowledge to all the board members here.

I'm a British expat currently working in Copenhagen. My company wants to send me to Riyadh for a 6 month stint to work on some of our projects there. We're in the process of organising all the documentation and visas.

Do you know whether I can apply for a business visa at the local KSA embassy in Copenhagen? Or do I need to return to the UK? I'm trying to avoid having to spend an extended amount of time in the UK waiting for my visa to be processed.

Cheers mate!
Hi,

I think you should be able to apply in Denmark, and I base this on a time when I had to renew my business visa in Bahrain (albeit a few years ago), and I know that other nationals have obtained a visit visa whilst based in a different country.

FYI, a business visa should not take more than 3-5 working days.

See you out here soon .

HTH.

Cheers
Imi
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beakersful
And extremely hazardous to waistline and health. Really to be avoided for long stays.
Lol that's true - they say when you come here you will put on a 'Saudi Stone'
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Lol that's true - they say when you come here you will put on a 'Saudi Stone'
unless you join Riyadh Road Runners
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 5:03 am
Just Joined

wattsbug1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi imi. Ive just posted about primary teaching and mental health nursing positions in dubai. Could I be really cheeky and ask you to read it and offer any advice please. Thanks in advance
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

steviehouse is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a brit but living in the Netherlands and went to Saudi for 4 months last year.
It was no problem to apply at the Saudi embassy in The Netherlands.
However quite recently it has changed that now you have to go in person to deliver your application at the Embassy, while when I applied last year July, this was not needed.

@Imi & Beakersful I was in Saudi for 4 months last year and actually lost a stone, eating out most days
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steviehouse

@Imi & Beakersful I was in Saudi for 4 months last year and actually lost a stone, eating out most days
What's the magic formula? I'm not too bad nowadays as I cut down on the crappy foods, but always good to know.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by flares
unless you join Riyadh Road Runners
Riyadh Road Runners - I'm interested but just seen on their website they are full to capacity for now. Do I need Waasta ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.