Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Old Jan 19th 2014, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

imi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant future
Default If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

.... I am happy to help.

I have been working in this region for over 8 years, and lived here for almost 6 years. I have a good understanding of local laws/customs etc.

As a Brit expat, I am happy to help anyone searching for advice. As part of my job I regularly recruit from the UK to Saudi Arabia so am aware of all visa issues/work laws/general niggles.

Just throwing it out there

PS I don't charge - just doing my bit for the expats
Old Jan 20th 2014, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

rocha27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Hi Imi7,

I'll be moving From Portugal, to Riyadh within a week or so, and would I'm looking into the lodging situation.

I have a budget given by the company, and it's below the compound market.

Can you please let me know which area/zone I can find a furnished studio/1bedroom flat, near King Abdul Aziz Rd?

Do you recommend a reliable not too expensive car hire company?

Thanks in advance.
Alex
Old Jan 20th 2014, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

imi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant futureimi7 has a brilliant future

Hi Alex,

Can you let me know what budget you have in mind for the housing and the car. Also, where abouts on KAA Road are you looking at, as its a very long road that stretches North to South Riyadh.

For Car hire, there are 100's of local companies here. Some are dodgy and would avoid at all costs, but you have your global companies like AVIS, Hertz, SIXT etc - I personally used he last one for 6m with no problems, but that was a while ago. They accepted my international license, so would advise you get one made before you get here. If you are staying here for at least a year, you may want to look into buying a decent car - there normally is one to suit all budgets.

BTW Compounds are nice but I have personally lived out of compound with the wife and we love it - better atmosphere and easier to get to the shops etc (of course depends where you are).

Let me know if you need further help.

Cheers

Imi
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

rocha27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by imi7
Hi Alex,

Can you let me know what budget you have in mind for the housing and the car. Also, where abouts on KAA Road are you looking at, as its a very long road that stretches North to South Riyadh.

For Car hire, there are 100's of local companies here. Some are dodgy and would avoid at all costs, but you have your global companies like AVIS, Hertz, SIXT etc - I personally used he last one for 6m with no problems, but that was a while ago. They accepted my international license, so would advise you get one made before you get here. If you are staying here for at least a year, you may want to look into buying a decent car - there normally is one to suit all budgets.

BTW Compounds are nice but I have personally lived out of compound with the wife and we love it - better atmosphere and easier to get to the shops etc (of course depends where you are).

Let me know if you need further help.

Cheers

Imi
Hi Imi,

I'll be working close to the Orchid Al Mansour Hotel.
It's slightly south of the Riyadh Air Base, on the northern part of KAA Rd (after Makkah Al Mukarramah Rd). I think I'll have to stick to more a less the As Sulimaniyah area, as it's closer to work... but an area with shops and cafés would be nice.

My budget is 45k for housing and 1200SAR for transport. Are táxis cheap?

I would also prefer to live outsider a compound, but I've heard it's pretty hard to get into one, due to waiting lists.

Anyway, let me know your opinion.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

clubs is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Originally Posted by imi7
.... I am happy to help.

I have been working in this region for over 8 years, and lived here for almost 6 years. I have a good understanding of local laws/customs etc.

As a Brit expat, I am happy to help anyone searching for advice. As part of my job I regularly recruit from the UK to Saudi Arabia so am aware of all visa issues/work laws/general niggles.

Just throwing it out there

PS I don't charge - just doing my bit for the expats
I think it is brilliant and generous that you have decided to volunteer your services and experience. From a new forum user's perspective-thank you
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

clubs - my pleasure. Can be a daunting task coming into Saudi as everything here is run on the rule 'its Who you know, not what you know' .

Alex, the area you are talking about (Sulimaniya) is where I lived for 4 years up until late 2013. I lived just next to the Military hospital, and paid SR 60k for a HUGE flat with 4 ensuite double bedrooms, 3 reception rooms and a massive kitchen - point being that within your budget you should easily find a decent place.

Also you may want to consider Malaz area - its just south of makkah road but reasonably priced - if you get a car its a 10-20 min drive to work - but admittedly Sulimaniyah would be my first choice. Loads of grocery shops, restaurants etc within walking distance, and as its near to 2 major hospitals (Military hospital and King Fahad Medical City) there is a considerable expat community (mainly Filipino). Friendly place - I used to go for walks and got a few 'Salaams' on my travels.

As for the taxi's, yes they are cheap if you can haggle with them - buts lets say that the price goes up for people of European looks. With your transport budget, you could easily rent a decent med size sedan from the numerous car rental places - I would stick to the regular global ones (Sixt, Avis etc). From your work place, if you head East by 2 miles or so along Makkah road, there is a belt of about 40 car rental places with 100's of cars outside available - never used myself but my local arab mates have without any issues - will try to get some local company names for you. Make sure you bring an International Driving License.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Imi
Old Jan 24th 2014, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Well done imi7 and welcome to the 'bored'
Old Jan 24th 2014, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Heisenberg_WW is an unknown quantity at this point

hi imi7 ..

I'm looking into schools in Riyadh .. hopefully moving soon ..any experience of the Riyadh Multinational school ??

Also, any advice of how to get a driver / taxi for the school run and what kind of costs will be expected .. i think the school is around 5km from where i will stay ..thanks
Old Jan 25th 2014, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Heisenberg_WW
hi imi7 ..

I'm looking into schools in Riyadh .. hopefully moving soon ..any experience of the Riyadh Multinational school ??

Also, any advice of how to get a driver / taxi for the school run and what kind of costs will be expected .. i think the school is around 5km from where i will stay ..thanks
Hi - unfortunately I am not too familiar with the schooling side of things as my kids are only 7m old. However, I will try to help.

The only school I am aware of is the British school - this is quite expensive as you get a lot of the wealthy locals going there. As for Riyadh multinational school - unfortunately never come across it. How old are your children - and be wary as most schools follow the American education standards.

As for costs of transport, it all depends on the starting/end point ie location. In Riyadh traffic, esp during school runs, is crazy and a 5km stretch could take 30-60 mins depending what route you take. Most schools should have their own transport, but if you were to get a taxi then you need to get a trusted driver (I know of a couple if you need their details). An important point is that recently, the ministry of labor has had a 'cleanse' of sorts on people (including taxi drivers/maids) who are not working under the correct visa stipulations - this means drivers are in more demand therefore asking for more money.

Hope that helps a little - can provide you my number should you have further queries.

Cheers
Imi
Old Jan 26th 2014, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Heisenberg_WW is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply imi7..

Im actually still in the UK, with all my paperwork being processed .. I am probably realistically looking at another 2 months before coming out ..closer to the time i may take up your kind offer for contact details ..

In general, do you know any expats that have a regular driver / taxi to do the school run? and roughly what those costs are?

As my wife wont be able to drive there and i will be at work, I will need someone reliable and trustworthy - the Riyadh Multinational School doesnt have a school bus service .. I looked into the Brtish school and that is too expensive, since i have 3 children (ages, 7, 7 and 5)..

Thanks
Old Jan 28th 2014, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

bimco63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Hi imi7,
Hoping to move to KSA in next few weeks with Sadara. Got a few q's if you have the time.

Mobile phones; are UK fones ok to use or is it cheaper to buy a local sim? Also, are apps like twitter & whatsapp still in use or have they been banned?

Compounds; I know it may vary but are they normally furnished and if so to what extent? Are basics like towels/bedlinen provided?

Thanks in advance,
Andy.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 5:53 am
Just Joined

KSADoonhamer is an unknown quantity at this point

UK Phones work but at GBP 1.85 per minute (depending on network provider) so a local Sim card is always better but you will need an Iqama to purchase one, although some providers will do it with passport. My opinion is that STC give the better coverage but unsure as to cost as on a company phone.

Twitter and whatsapp both work here, although I had them both installed before I arrived, not sure if you can download and install on a new phone.

My furnished apartment (not on a compound) provided a set of bedding (not good though) so I bought my own and there were no towels.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

The best advice for anyone who thinks to move to KSA is: don't do it. You will regret your move!
Old Jan 29th 2014, 7:55 am
Just Joined

bimco63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EastWest
The best advice for anyone who thinks to move to KSA is: don't do it. You will regret your move!
That's a pretty broad statement, any particular reason?
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Gtvscott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EastWest
Very Helpful - NOT!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.