Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

If there was a property crash in Dubai..

If there was a property crash in Dubai..

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 11:03 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If there was a property crash in Dubai..

Originally Posted by Fairydust
That brings back to mind a very funny story a few years ago - was out on the lash (just for a change) with a friend of mine who wore contacts - anyway she ended up crashing at my house rather than drive home. Unbeknown to me she had taken her contacts out and left them in a glass of water in the kitchen.

Yes you guessed right - I stumbled downstairs in the morning and drank them
not stopping at yours then after a night on the lash!!!!

Last edited by Blue Cat; Mar 22nd 2007 at 11:03 am. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5
Considering you haven't actually realized a profit yet, i'd be a little careful about criticizing people who 'missed out'.

'One ought not speak until the end of the show'

That still doesnt excuse the fact that you make some wildly inaccurate predictions
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:44 pm
W10

Originally Posted by expat.brat
That still doesnt excuse the fact that you make some wildly inaccurate predictions
To be fair to TA5, so have Emaar, Damac, Nakheel etc etc

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:49 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
very true, especially when it comes to completion and handover dates!!! shocking
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:16 pm
Trust Your Instincts.....

sassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by W10
Since when are we ever fair to TA5.... dont be silly
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:18 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
I suppose everyone saw that article in (I think) Emirates Today about how the Burj Dubai is going to have to be shorter than planned if they actually want to finish it by their deadline?
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:20 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by GarethR
I suppose everyone saw that article in (I think) Emirates Today about how the Burj Dubai is going to have to be shorter than planned if they actually want to finish it by their deadline?
no don't get emirates today. I am not sure how true it will be as the project manager is a good friend of ours and he has just come back from USA after meeting with architects to get more floors added. Good luck tonight!!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:34 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
no don't get emirates today. I am not sure how true it will be as the project manager is a good friend of ours and he has just come back from USA after meeting with architects to get more floors added. Good luck tonight!!
Cheers

FWIW, the thrust of the article was that the construction is currently about two months behind schedule; they should have been fitting the glass cladding by now, but there were quality issues with the glass from the original supplier and they had to find a new source.

They can make this delay up, but the real problem is the height of the building; once they get to about 700 metres, the strength of the wind becomes a constant problem, even here in the desert. Apparently there are, on average, only about 100 days a year in which the wind is low enough for the cranes to operate safely at those heights, which is obviously going to slow construction down considerably. The bottom line being, unless they're willing to risk cranes, girders, labourers and God knows what else being blown off the top of the thing (and I'm making no comment there), they will either have to compromise on the height if they are to make their opening date, or build to the full height and simply push the opening date back by anything up to a year.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:35 pm
Concierge

Cheers

FWIW, the thrust of the article was that the construction is currently about two months behind schedule; they should have been fitting the glass cladding by now, but there were quality issues with the glass from the original supplier and they had to find a new source.

They can make this delay up, but the real problem is the height of the building; once they get to about 700 metres, the strength of the wind becomes a constant problem, even here in the desert. Apparently there are, on average, only about 100 days a year in which the wind is low enough for the cranes to operate safely at those heights, which is obviously going to slow construction down considerably. The bottom line being, unless they're willing to risk cranes, girders, labourers and God knows what else being blown off the top of the thing (and I'm making no comment there), they will either have to compromise on the height if they are to make their opening date, or build to the full height and simply push the opening date back by anything up to a year.
well you know our ruler, he will get it one way or the other even if there is a delay! I will try and find out for you though.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 5:15 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

well you know our ruler, he will get it one way or the other even if there is a delay! I will try and find out for you though.
It's all madness. They're talking about builidng 200-floor, 1000m high buildings in other places. Can you imagine living on the 186th floor? Dubai is actually quite a windy place, even at Ground Level, and the top floors are a really narrow structure. That bugger is gonna sway like mad. You won't get me up there!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 5:33 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave earlier.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 5:38 pm
Soupy twist

well you know our ruler, he will get it one way or the other even if there is a delay!
It wouldn't surprise me if they just swallow their pride and push the deadline back so that they can get the maximum height. Or maybe they'll fiddle it so that "completion" just means that it looks finished from the outside, and it'll take another year before the inside's done and people can start moving in
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
It's all madness. They're talking about builidng 200-floor, 1000m high buildings in other places. Can you imagine living on the 186th floor? Dubai is actually quite a windy place, even at Ground Level, and the top floors are a really narrow structure. That bugger is gonna sway like mad. You won't get me up there!
They expect the top floors will sway 10 feet in the wind
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 5:53 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
ROFLMAO Sorry Gareth but hey sometimes you ask for it

Hope the little bub is ok
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
But Gareth never said Dubai is a shit place to live I thought you were the one who always said it..... Guess you are now liking your new job - makes a big difference

Anyway that apart I thought that the idea behind this thread was to spread nasty rumours so that prices fall and whoever wants to buy can then get on the property ladder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.