Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

Old Jul 14th 2013, 9:29 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

Originally Posted by Scamp
With 99% of the members here you'd probably be right, but I'm a lowly peasant unfortunately.

I got my job by being recommended for it. I got flown out here (as per the law), I had accommodation provided for a month (got extended but another story), visa was sorted for me, sorted permanent accomm myself, gym in the building (I've seen it once ), no pension....some handholding, but realistically the bare minimum.

I didn't go to uni.

Definitely all need help in life, you're 100% correct....but I wasn't trying to criticise you as an individual for working in that style / environment, I was just saying that so many chaps do and then refuse / struggle to get their head around not having everything (down to meals per day) being provided for them.
You would have made a great military officer...CHAPS
Old Jul 14th 2013, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Asho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond repute

With 99% of the members here you'd probably be right, but I'm a lowly peasant unfortunately.

I got my job by being recommended for it. I got flown out here (as per the law), I had accommodation provided for a month (got extended but another story), visa was sorted for me, sorted permanent accomm myself, gym in the building (I've seen it once ), no pension....some handholding, but realistically the bare minimum.

I didn't go to uni.

Definitely all need help in life, you're 100% correct....but I wasn't trying to criticise you as an individual for working in that style / environment, I was just saying that so many chaps do and then refuse / struggle to get their head around not having everything (down to meals per day) being provided for them.
And the last comment I would have to agree. There are a lot of people who do struggle. However I know from personal experience a lot of Bankers struggled in London when they never received their big bonuses they had been used to getting every year. Living above their means for so long, now all of a sudden they cant afford their flash car, house, champagne lifestyle.

Well done you though for getting where you are without a degree, hats off to you.

We all want the best contract we can get, this at present is the best I can get. Much like you im a lowly peasant, left school at 16 worked in Civvy street for a few years before joining the Mil. Done my time, matured then utilized the experience gained and contacts made to land what I consider popstar wages.

Ive been helped along the way and am willing to do the same for other people.

Good luck to you mate.

But think we've gone off on a tangent from the original post a wee bit.

Basra's awesome!!!
Old Jul 14th 2013, 9:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by commander
You would have made a great military officer...CHAPS
I'd have reveled in telling plebs what to do.
Originally Posted by Asho7225
And the last comment I would have to agree. There are a lot of people who do struggle. However I know from personal experience a lot of Bankers struggled in London when they never received their big bonuses they had been used to getting every year. Living above their means for so long, now all of a sudden they cant afford their flash car, house, champagne lifestyle.

Well done you though for getting where you are without a degree, hats off to you.

We all want the best contract we can get, this at present is the best I can get. Much like you im a lowly peasant, left school at 16 worked in Civvy street for a few years before joining the Mil. Done my time, matured then utilized the experience gained and contacts made to land what I consider popstar wages.

Ive been helped along the way and am willing to do the same for other people.

Good luck to you mate.

But think we've gone off on a tangent from the original post a wee bit.

Basra's awesome!!!
My industry is much less fun-sounding, so you kinda win.

I'd never say no to a trip to Iraq or somewhere a bit spicy. It's a cool thing to be able to look back on in the future.

So come on then, what did they serve for dinner last night?
Old Jul 14th 2013, 9:56 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

:
Old Jul 14th 2013, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Asho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd never say no to a trip to Iraq or somewhere a bit spicy. It's a cool thing to be able to look back on in the future.

As it goes just back from a pasta lunch. Tonight is Surf and Turf night.............

Last night was Basra Fish night......... I usually skip that
Old Jul 14th 2013, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

And at the end of the day it is very much each to their own. I worked in a bank for a few years, surrounded by people who live beyond their means, and live for the weekend. Some people enjoy the office environment and lifestyle of working in London, New York, Dubai etc etc.
I enjoyed my time in the military, saw places normal civilians will never see and met some of the best blokes you would ever meet. Don't get me wrong there were complete tools, as you get in every industry. But unlike every industry you can get away with knocking them out!
Old Jul 14th 2013, 10:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

As it goes just back from a pasta lunch. Tonight is Surf and Turf night.............

Last night was Basra Fish night......... I usually skip that
Basra Fish Night? Sounds interesting, what's that?

Don't get me wrong there were complete tools, as you get in every industry. But unlike every industry you can get away with knocking them out!
You've not worked in recruitment then....we operate at minimum 75-80% knobhead ratio.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Basra Fish Night? Sounds interesting, what's that?

You've not worked in recruitment then....we operate at minimum 75-80% knobhead ratio.

Basra Fish Night ............ its a night..........where we get fish............ from basra............ If you ever have the pleasure of going to Iraq and bypassing one of the "rivers"........... have a look.

makes the Thames look like an Infiniti Swimming pool. Apart from all the sunken broken ships the locals use the river as a communal toilet. So I'd avoid the fish.

Ahhhh recruitment. So you basically get to sift through the knobheads of the world. Rather you than me!
Old Jul 14th 2013, 11:38 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Its not offensive, it just came across as a criticism. Your profile says you live in Dubai. Did you pay to get there yourself. Did you organize your own visas, did you get accom yourself without any help, aid, guidance, do you buy your own food, get subsidized gym membership, pension etc etc etc.As discussed above, most companies/jobs offer that now. A form of handholding wouldn't you say? And how did you get the job? from qualifications attained at Uni I would hazard a guess. How did you pay for that? Student loan? parents? another form of handholding. I might be wrong but I would suggest we all need a little help in life.
You seem to be of the view that the majority of people in Dubai are some kind of ultra feather bed package. That's not the case.

Most people source their own acommodation, pay for their food (an odd thing to suggest people wouldn't) and do not have company pensions. Few get perks like subsidised gym membership and the employer has to be involved in arranging visas as they are the sponsor.

It is common to have school fees paid and many get a housing allowance, but life for most people is pretty normal in that they pay their own bills and organise their own lives as they see fit.

I think you'll find that it pretty standard for parents to assist their children when in education...
Old Jul 14th 2013, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't go to uni.

I seem to remember you saying a few months ago that you where upper class?
Old Jul 14th 2013, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RyanC
I seem to remember you saying a few months ago that you where upper class?
I am. But not out here compared to the other western folk.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meow
You seem to be of the view that the majority of people in Dubai are some kind of ultra feather bed package. That's not the case.

Most people source their own acommodation, pay for their food (an odd thing to suggest people wouldn't) and do not have company pensions. Few get perks like subsidised gym membership and the employer has to be involved in arranging visas as they are the sponsor.

It is common to have school fees paid and many get a housing allowance, but life for most people is pretty normal in that they pay their own bills and organise their own lives as they see fit.

I think you'll find that it pretty standard for parents to assist their children when in education...
I don't have the view people are on a "ultra feather bed package" however it would seem that a lot of Dubai expats do get a sweet deal too. As you've pointed out, school fees and housing allowance........

You wouldn't expect that when taking a job in the UK /US would you?

And it may be pretty standard for parents to assist their children in education where you come from, but where im from people don't have that luxury. We have to get loans, get jobs and pay the loans off ourselves. If you have the funds to get your kids through college/uni well done you.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Bog Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems to be a bit of a town clown / field monkey vibe developing on this topic! I've done both - cursed the guys flying a desk in town, and hankered for the lack of politics/bullshit of the field when I found myself behind one of those desks! Vive la Difference!

Y'know though - Scamp has a point in so far as you do become sort of institutionalised doing the rotation/remote work thing. I remember moving to a town based job after years rotating to a desert camp and it took me a couple of weeks to realise I could go get a burger whenever I liked ..... it felt kinda weird for some reason .... I then found a "bar". It all went downhill from there!
Old Jul 14th 2013, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bog Man
I then found a "bar". It all went downhill from there!
Weasel - we have a title for your next book
Old Jul 14th 2013, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Asho
just for nostalgias sake which will resonate with every one here but should you.
Altcar ranges, red rose naafi bar, everyone dopped, back to the accommodation which was bunk beds with the green waterproof cover on. I am on the bottom bunk waiting for the room to stop spinning, guy on the top swamps on his maggot, runs off the top and swamp pouring everywhere. Dragged out and beasted. Finally off to sleep only to be woken up to find some dophead swamping in my ****** tin wardrobe and 58 pattern absorbed swamp like a sponge

So yes the place was full of knob heads.

Of course in the best tales of old and bold, you guys had it easy with your Gucci walking boots, swamp resistant webbing and single beds with decent maggots

For sure things were harder then

Mind you people used to join the SAS because that was the only way to see action in those days besides NI. These days even the chunkies get shot at in God forsaken places. Bet you didn't have Chunkies in your day lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.