Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Middle East

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Aug 29th 2017, 6:18 am   #136
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
JustMyself is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav14 View Post
Travelling to Rumaila Oil Field for work, one or two weeks max.Main concern travel from airport to the main ROO compound. How safe is the area?
Same question here, I recently signed with one of the contractors in Rumaila, and I was wondering about details about how my first landing and transfer to Rumaila will be. I'll really appreciate some details about things to happen after I will collect my luggage and enter Iraqi side of the airport. Anyone? Thanks!
JustMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th 2017, 8:09 am   #137
BE Enthusiast
 
Dubaiexile's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Dubai
Posts: 792
Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

If the Company that you are going to work for has not covered all this in the offer letter /Orientation then I would seriously consider if they are a professional outfit!! All this should be explained prior to travel and would be in an orientation by any reputable company!!
Have you asked these questions of the HR department or whoever signed off on your offer???
Dubaiexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th 2017, 9:18 am   #138
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
JustMyself is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaiexile View Post
If the Company that you are going to work for has not covered all this in the offer letter /Orientation then I would seriously consider if they are a professional outfit!! All this should be explained prior to travel and would be in an orientation by any reputable company!!
Have you asked these questions of the HR department or whoever signed off on your offer???
Thanks for the answer . The contractor is a huge one, topping the list of the contractors here in GCC, and it is actually a british contractor... so they are a professional outfit... but I really do think that they have some issues at the communication level. Anyway, I'll try to sort out this matter to the finest detail, so every detail counts.
JustMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th 2017, 9:58 am   #139
BE Enthusiast
 
Dubaiexile's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Dubai
Posts: 792
Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMyself View Post
Thanks for the answer . The contractor is a huge one, topping the list of the contractors here in GCC, and it is actually a british contractor... so they are a professional outfit... but I really do think that they have some issues at the communication level. Anyway, I'll try to sort out this matter to the finest detail, so every detail counts.

I would get on to the HR Dept and ask them to sort it out and get you the info, this should be part and parcel of any new starters going out there. If they are the size you say then that should not be a problem maybe as you say a communication error!!
Dubaiexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th 2017, 10:32 am   #140
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
JustMyself is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

You are perfectly right... I will go visit them next week...
JustMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 8:08 am   #141
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
JustMyself is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

... and another question... how much time it takes for the Iraqi work visa to be issued? I know that in theory it will take about 4 weeks, but I am looking for your personal experience. Thanks!
JustMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 2:12 pm   #142
BE Enthusiast
 
Dubaiexile's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Dubai
Posts: 792
Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

If I was you I would be seriously worried if there was a job or not as it seems to have been an awful long time and you have not even started yet!!!!!!
Dubaiexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th 2017, 1:14 am   #143
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 854
carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaiexile View Post
If I was you I would be seriously worried if there was a job or not as it seems to have been an awful long time and you have not even started yet!!!!!!
I work extensively in conflict zones.

Standard practise in those areas is that someone should pick this person up at the airport and drive them to wherever the compound is. Should not be a problem for HR to confirm that as HR staff do travel regularly to sites and would know. I do know people who occasionally wave that off and chance taxis but under no circumstances would I advise OP to do that without knowing the lay of the land and using a driver you know (not random cabbie).

Though I have never been to Basra specifically, the ride to and from the airport (generically in conflict zones) is one of the most dangerous parts of being in a conflict zone because quite often there are only limited routes to get there, thus creating a bottleneck. Someone wanting to pick off a foreigner can just plant themselves at one or two locations and eventually get someone.

I do prefer to ride around in a local-looking unmarked vehicle (the more Soviet it looks or is, the better, like a Lada or a Volga) as anyone targeting a foreigner is going to look for the fancy-looking SUV that says "UN" on the side, or some other Western organisation (though, again, don't do that until you know the lay of the land). When I stutter by in my Lada by the time they realise it's a foreigner I'm long gone.

Follow security rules stringently, don't make yourself low-hanging fruit and everything will probably be fine.
carcajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th 2017, 5:05 am   #144
BE Enthusiast
 
Dubaiexile's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Dubai
Posts: 792
Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
I work extensively in conflict zones.

Standard practise in those areas is that someone should pick this person up at the airport and drive them to wherever the compound is. Should not be a problem for HR to confirm that as HR staff do travel regularly to sites and would know. I do know people who occasionally wave that off and chance taxis but under no circumstances would I advise OP to do that without knowing the lay of the land and using a driver you know (not random cabbie).

Though I have never been to Basra specifically, the ride to and from the airport (generically in conflict zones) is one of the most dangerous parts of being in a conflict zone because quite often there are only limited routes to get there, thus creating a bottleneck. Someone wanting to pick off a foreigner can just plant themselves at one or two locations and eventually get someone.

I do prefer to ride around in a local-looking unmarked vehicle (the more Soviet it looks or is, the better, like a Lada or a Volga) as anyone targeting a foreigner is going to look for the fancy-looking SUV that says "UN" on the side, or some other Western organisation (though, again, don't do that until you know the lay of the land). When I stutter by in my Lada by the time they realise it's a foreigner I'm long gone.

Follow security rules stringently, don't make yourself low-hanging fruit and everything will probably be fine.
As I have said in previous posts, all this should have been covered by your HR department in the initial Orientation, if it has not, or you did not ask the questions, I suggest that you revert to them.

Getting Visa`s approved usually depends on how much Wasta (power) your local guy has, and especially in Basra, they will want some folding as well, so to give an exact time frame is nigh on impossible...never needed one myself as I work on Military contracts!

The above poster is quite correct in what he says, but I would restrict that to old hands and newbies should not be trying it at all!! Stick with your PSD team and follow all their directions to the letter...that is what they are there for!!
Dubaiexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th 2017, 4:48 am   #145
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
JustMyself is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaiexile View Post
As I have said in previous posts, all this should have been covered by your HR department in the initial Orientation, if it has not, or you did not ask the questions, I suggest that you revert to them.

Getting Visa`s approved usually depends on how much Wasta (power) your local guy has, and especially in Basra, they will want some folding as well, so to give an exact time frame is nigh on impossible...never needed one myself as I work on Military contracts!

The above poster is quite correct in what he says, but I would restrict that to old hands and newbies should not be trying it at all!! Stick with your PSD team and follow all their directions to the letter...that is what they are there for!!
Thanks again for the answer... in the meantime I've sorted out the details with HR (lovely guys...) and now I am waiting for the visa to be issued - I am in my fifth week as they applied for a non-urgent visa and I begin to feel a little anxious - but it's probably only me running out of patience...
Cabs in Basra?... No way

Last edited by JustMyself; Oct 18th 2017 at 4:52 am.
JustMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th 2017, 5:50 am   #146
BE Enthusiast
 
Dubaiexile's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Dubai
Posts: 792
Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMyself View Post
Cabs in Basra?... No way
Yeh sure, if you fancy starring in a video in orange overalls, endings are all the same gurgling and blood!!!
Dubaiexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th 2017, 3:50 am   #147
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
JustMyself is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaiexile View Post
Yeh sure, if you fancy starring in a video in orange overalls, endings are all the same gurgling and blood!!!
I hate cameras...
JustMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Middle East


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 3:05 pm.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com