British Expats

British Expats (http://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (http://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra? (http://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/how-safe-work-iraq-basra-802404/)

Ena Jul 9th 2013 8:32 pm

How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?
 
Hi to all!

My husband has an offer to work in Iraq, in Basra region, for a big international construction company.
I am so worried, so please, please, share some info on how safe is to work there?
Thanks

Millhouse Jul 9th 2013 9:40 pm

Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ena (Post 10791886)
Hi to all!

My husband has an offer to work in Iraq, in Basra region, for a big international construction company.
I am so worried, so please, please, share some info on how safe is to work there?
Thanks

I've not been to Basra, but I have been to almost every conceivable war zone in the region and my take on it is that it's never as bad as the media make it out to be, or what you imagine it to me.

weasel decentral Jul 10th 2013 4:53 am

Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10791978)
I've not been to Basra, but I have been to almost every conceivable war zone in the region and my take on it is that it's never as bad as the media make it out to be, or what you imagine it to me.

I have been to a few war zones and I have some friends in Basra at the moment. But I would have to say Basra is on the lively end of the scale, its not like Syria but its certainly more dangerous than just about any other ME location right now.

Mogs Jul 10th 2013 5:07 am

Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ena (Post 10791886)
Hi to all!

My husband has an offer to work in Iraq, in Basra region, for a big international construction company.
I am so worried, so please, please, share some info on how safe is to work there?
Thanks

As he is working for a big international construction company, you can probably gain some comfort in the knowledge that they will a provide a safe working environment (as far as possible). I would imagine 24 hour armed security protection, etc.

Large international companies have a reputation to maintain and typically they will do their utmost to protect their employees from any danger.

From my limited experience of working in less hospitable places (not any active war zones), the most dangerous part of the time spent is the travel between airport and worksite/accommodation.

Scamp Jul 10th 2013 6:10 am

Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ena (Post 10791886)
Hi to all!

My husband has an offer to work in Iraq, in Basra region, for a big international construction company.
I am so worried, so please, please, share some info on how safe is to work there?
Thanks

The only concern he should have is how it will affect his CV. Most people last a year there, get paid lots of cash and then struggle.

Especially if he goes to work for a big American firm or USACE

Ena Jul 10th 2013 6:39 am

Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10792360)
The only concern he should have is how it will affect his CV. Most people last a year there, get paid lots of cash and then struggle.

I am not sure that I understand what do you mean by 'it will affect his CV'? :confused:

Scamp Jul 10th 2013 7:13 am

Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ena (Post 10792405)
I am not sure that I understand what do you mean by 'it will affect his CV'? :confused:

Personally (note), I struggle to get anywhere with a CV from one of the big American firms after someone has lasted 12 months in Iraq. All they do is chuck up concrete or lay runways.

If your chap is into the O&G stuff then it's completely different.

weasel decentral Jul 10th 2013 7:54 am

Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10792457)
Personally (note), I struggle to get anywhere with a CV from one of the big American firms after someone has lasted 12 months in Iraq. All they do is chuck up concrete or lay runways.

If your chap is into the O&G stuff then it's completely different.

Things have changed a lot in Iraq this year, especially in some of the city governates. They have split up areas to invest in for schools, hospitals and a lot of more commercial works.
They now have some huge budgets and its not being spent through the usual American companies, all open tender stuff. Expect to see a lot of activity soon.

Ena Jul 10th 2013 8:00 am

Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?
 
No, it's not American company, it's an international - middle east division.

Thanks for all your replies!:)

Scamp Jul 10th 2013 8:34 am

Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10792509)
Things have changed a lot in Iraq this year, especially in some of the city governates. They have split up areas to invest in for schools, hospitals and a lot of more commercial works.
They now have some huge budgets and its not being spent through the usual American companies, all open tender stuff. Expect to see a lot of activity soon.

Oh, I must have missed the announcement of the high end resi towers and Hiltons and big commercial developments that are being built...

weasel decentral Jul 10th 2013 8:43 am

Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10792561)
Oh, I must have missed the announcement of the high end resi towers and Hiltons and big commercial developments that are being built...

Its because you lot are too busy trying to recruit for my lovely project in Kazakhstan, you have forgotten about Iraq.

Scamp Jul 10th 2013 9:17 am

Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10792568)
Its because you lot are too busy trying to recruit for my lovely project in Kazakhstan, you have forgotten about Iraq.

Kazakhstan is the future, Iraq is history.

Meow Jul 10th 2013 9:30 am

Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?
 
I thought Azerbaijan was the future? Or part of it.

Scamp Jul 10th 2013 10:03 am

Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10792635)
I thought Azerbaijan was the future? Or part of it.

Azerbaijan has been making money for a while.

co durham boy Jul 10th 2013 10:04 am

Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10792457)
Personally (note), I struggle to get anywhere with a CV from one of the big American firms after someone has lasted 12 months in Iraq. All they do is chuck up concrete or lay runways.

If your chap is into the O&G stuff then it's completely different.

Laying runways is one of the most complex specialised infrastructure projects a firm can take on .

Ive done 4 , Hong Kong , Dubai , T5 and the N.D.I.A .


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:07 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com