Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

Old Jul 9th 2014, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Asho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

JimmyCliff

Shells Security Contractors are primarily "Control Risks Group (CRG)" (I believe they also sub contract to a number of other companies) but almost irrelevant of who they employ Shell are a huge company and have a zero tolerance for risk, therefore any hint of danger and they will make sure their guys are removed. That being said CRG have been in the business for as long as the business has been around and are considered one of (if not) the best security provider. Very experienced guys. (and no i don't work for them)

If you have to fly in and fly out of Basra with Shell i would say its a very reasonable ask.

The company are massive. Everyone is dusting off, evacuation plans, and has contingency plans ready. They would not fly you in if there was an imminent danger.

Obviously you have been watching the news. ISIS/ISIL or IS call them what you will are still in the north. The South is predominantly Shia meaning the group would struggle to garner enough support to operate in the same manner as they have done in the north.

The South is still ok to work and operate in.

Obviously if Baghdad fell, your Shells/BPs/Exxons etc would take a long hard look at their position in Iraq and if it is financially viable and worth risking their reputation to remain in country.

Personally i would take the job (obviously if the pay and conditions are favourable) and assess the situation in regards to Iraq as and when. I wouldn't even worry about entering Basra, if the situation deteriorates they would not send you in.

Im still here and no company has hit the big red alarm button yet.

If you require any further info/advice PM me and ill can give you anything else you require.

Cheers

Ash
Old Jul 9th 2014, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

JimmyCliff is an unknown quantity at this point

Ash,

Thanks for the info, appreciate it....Think I might give it a go..

Stay safe etc..
Old Sep 18th 2014, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Borislav is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Ash,

would you please advise about Rumaila oil field-is it safe enough to live and work there ? I understand it is quite huge area (80km x 20km). BP is contracting very big volume of work-renovation and expansion , so they need engineers .Though the giant oil field is very close to Basra( south part of the country) I guess accomodation is located outside the city, maybe inside Rumaila complex .
I will really appreciate if you share some infro about this.

Thanks,

Boris
Old Sep 19th 2014, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Asho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Borislav
Dear Ash,

would you please advise about Rumaila oil field-is it safe enough to live and work there ? I understand it is quite huge area (80km x 20km). BP is contracting very big volume of work-renovation and expansion , so they need engineers .Though the giant oil field is very close to Basra( south part of the country) I guess accomodation is located outside the city, maybe inside Rumaila complex .
I will really appreciate if you share some infro about this.

Thanks,

Boris
Hi Boris.

You have North and South Rumaila Oilfields. They lie to the west of Basra city and house thousands of contractors.
Very good accom, very good facilities, very safe.
There has only been a few incidents very minor, with the most significant one at the back end of last year when a security contractor got beaten, by a number of Iraqis from his team and other security teams. That was at Schlumberger.
The contract has since changed hands, all those involved were arrested.

Occasionally there is a demonstration, such is the culture in Iraq, they demonstrate about everything, but the Security Forces are keen to ensure everyones safety so generally move them on, after their point has been made.

Rumaila is fine. I would have no reservations about working there.
( I work in the Field next to Rumaila so know the area very well)

Cheers

Ash
Old Sep 19th 2014, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Borislav is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot, Ash,
for your valuable advise and info you share .
In this case I will have no fear to accept the proposal. I noticed that actually the employer will be Worley Parsons, and not BP, though BP is the main contractor there, I guess they are customer of Worley . I hope Worley Parsons engineers are also accomodated with the rest of the Rumaila west contractors.
I will update soon if everything goes fine with contract signing, and when I will travel.

Cheers,

Boris
Old Sep 25th 2014, 10:09 am
Banned

mejohnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ena
Hi to all!

My husband has an offer to work in Iraq, in Basra region, for a big international construction company.
I am so worried, so please, please, share some info on how safe is to work there?
Thanks
It is dangerous to travel to that country. Expats are all returning.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mejohnsam
It is dangerous to travel to that country. Expats are all returning.
Hhhmmm welcome to BE. Your 'advice' does not seem to be what others posters are saying. Perhaps you would like to expand a little and tell us more about where you are etc. so that, as a new poster, we can evaluate what you're saying.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

moto6876 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Asho7225
Hi Boris.

You have North and South Rumaila Oilfields. They lie to the west of Basra city and house thousands of contractors.
Very good accom, very good facilities, very safe.
There has only been a few incidents very minor, with the most significant one at the back end of last year when a security contractor got beaten, by a number of Iraqis from his team and other security teams. That was at Schlumberger.
The contract has since changed hands, all those involved were arrested.

Occasionally there is a demonstration, such is the culture in Iraq, they demonstrate about everything, but the Security Forces are keen to ensure everyones safety so generally move them on, after their point has been made.

Rumaila is fine. I would have no reservations about working there.
( I work in the Field next to Rumaila so know the area very well)

Cheers

Ash
Hello Ash. I'm in the early stages of applying/considering coming out to Iraq contracted to BP, so it must be the Rumalia field as I can't find any mention of other BP projects out there.
Have you seen any changes out there recently since the air strikes began?
Old Oct 14th 2014, 7:04 am
Just Joined

MD2808 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All, I am in the situation as moto. I am due (if I accept) the position to travel to Basra next month for Shell on the Majnoon oil field. Reading the posts from I Ash I had no issues accepting the position until recent airstrikes began. What is the current situation in Basra? I suppose the one positive is the fact we've been invited into Iraq to strike I.S/ISIL/ISIS but are these the only group to be wary of?
Old Oct 15th 2014, 5:53 am
Just Joined

expat2050 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I got an offer to work in Basra a security company .... How's thecurrent situation there ?
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

sgarden is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

Originally Posted by Asho7225
JimmyCliff

Shells Security Contractors are primarily "Control Risks Group (CRG)" (I believe they also sub contract to a number of other companies) but almost irrelevant of who they employ Shell are a huge company and have a zero tolerance for risk, therefore any hint of danger and they will make sure their guys are removed. That being said CRG have been in the business for as long as the business has been around and are considered one of (if not) the best security provider. Very experienced guys. (and no i don't work for them)

If you have to fly in and fly out of Basra with Shell i would say its a very reasonable ask.

The company are massive. Everyone is dusting off, evacuation plans, and has contingency plans ready. They would not fly you in if there was an imminent danger.

Obviously you have been watching the news. ISIS/ISIL or IS call them what you will are still in the north. The South is predominantly Shia meaning the group would struggle to garner enough support to operate in the same manner as they have done in the north.

The South is still ok to work and operate in.

Obviously if Baghdad fell, your Shells/BPs/Exxons etc would take a long hard look at their position in Iraq and if it is financially viable and worth risking their reputation to remain in country.

Personally i would take the job (obviously if the pay and conditions are favourable) and assess the situation in regards to Iraq as and when. I wouldn't even worry about entering Basra, if the situation deteriorates they would not send you in.

Im still here and no company has hit the big red alarm button yet.

If you require any further info/advice PM me and ill can give you anything else you require.

Cheers

Ash
Ash,

Understand that you mention Basra is safe few months back. My husband just got an offer to work in basra, Exxon company. How is the situation at basra right now? Is it safe? How is the life working there? does the ISIL/ISIS affecting the safety? this is what we worrying now.

By the way, how about the others who accept/reject the job offer to working in Basra? Any updates how is the life working there?

Tam

Last edited by sgarden; Jan 22nd 2015 at 5:13 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 8:47 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

wow! Thats a mighty lot of jobs for O&G for Iraq. Seems to me Tony made a lot of people happy in the long run
Old Feb 8th 2015, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sgarden
Ash,

Understand that you mention Basra is safe few months back. My husband just got an offer to work in basra, Exxon company. How is the situation at basra right now? Is it safe? How is the life working there? does the ISIL/ISIS affecting the safety? this is what we worrying now.

By the way, how about the others who accept/reject the job offer to working in Basra? Any updates how is the life working there?

Tam
No change for Basra. Companies still operating as normal and no affect from the ISIS/ISIL up in the north.

Exxon are up in the Qurna/Majnoon area. The biggest issue there are the tribes and their constant bickering over their "rights". They occasional demonstrate, block a few roads demand increase in wages, etc etc etc.

Life here is ok. Your husband would likely be on a 4/4 or 6/6 contract. He flies in gets picked up a security team and taken to Exxon came. He will probably get bored, but the money is good, and the time off is great.

the ISIS/ISIL have not reached the south and will not reach the south, The amount of airstrikes being conducted in the north has stemmed the flow and stopped their advances. What you probably aren't hearing in the news is the Kurdish Peshmerga and the Shia militias making big advances.

No change to the security situation in the Southern Provinces especially Basra!
Old Feb 8th 2015, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moto6876
Hello Ash. I'm in the early stages of applying/considering coming out to Iraq contracted to BP, so it must be the Rumalia field as I can't find any mention of other BP projects out there.
Have you seen any changes out there recently since the air strikes began?

No changes to the situation in Basra. Just normal activity with crime and the usual Tribal issues you get in these parts of the world.

The airstrikes are being conducted in Anbar Province, Salah ad Din, Kirkuk and Ninevah.

To give you an idea.... Basra is approx. 660km away from Baghdad.
The airstrikes are occurring to the west and north of the Capital. Mosul for example is over a 1000km away from us.

BP is Rumailah. Lovely camp, great facilities away from everything. Good security. good food. no complaints from anyone who works for BP. Their camp and facilities and general work ethic is the reason everyone who works out here wants to gain employment with them.

BP and Shell are considered the top dogs out here. Other companies are ok but do not compare.

(and no I don't work for BP or Shell... I wish
Old Feb 10th 2015, 10:59 am
Just Joined

ph071241 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

Just a brief query... I have been asked to go out to Basra for my work.This would not be through a large corporate and there, presumably not involve the massive security and compound infrastructure that you mentioned.

I am not easily spooked regarding horror stories of certain places. However, what would you suggest to be the minimum safeguards that should be in place whilst I am there.

Cheers

D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.