Help for a mum

Old Mar 26th 2017, 9:04 am
Just Joined

katyjac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help for a mum

Hi all,

I am about to interview for a job in Dubai and am trying to prepare myself for the move if I get the job. There are 2 things that I'm keen to find out. If anyone can help I'd be really grateful.

1. I have 1 child who is not yet school age. What are nurseries like in dubai? How do you find a good one? Is a nanny really the best option? What do they cost?

2. Did anyone move with young kids? How did they adapt? Was there anything you weren't expecting and has been a difficulty to deal with in terms of your kids?

I think this could be a brilliant opportunity if I am lucky enough to secure the job but I need to make sure I'm as well informed as I can be given that I have 2 little ones in tow.

Thanks to anyone who replies.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help for a mum

Originally Posted by katyjac
Hi all,

I am about to interview for a job in Dubai and am trying to prepare myself for the move if I get the job. There are 2 things that I'm keen to find out. If anyone can help I'd be really grateful.

1. I have 1 child who is not yet school age. What are nurseries like in dubai? How do you find a good one? Is a nanny really the best option? What do they cost?

2. Did anyone move with young kids? How did they adapt? Was there anything you weren't expecting and has been a difficulty to deal with in terms of your kids?

I think this could be a brilliant opportunity if I am lucky enough to secure the job but I need to make sure I'm as well informed as I can be given that I have 2 little ones in tow.

Thanks to anyone who replies.
single mum? will dad sign the export papers?
Old Mar 26th 2017, 9:17 am
Just Joined

No, dad is coming! He will be looking for jobs too if I'm successful.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

1) Mine went into KS1 at JPS, other than the fees it's decent, dunno about nurseries as such. Is a nanny necessary, well if you're both working than yes, if not, no. They're 2-4,000 a month. How to find them? Word of mouth.
2) Pre-school kids will adapt quicker than you, they don't have any baggage (in a good way).
Old Mar 26th 2017, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

School fees should be covered for my son at ks1 but my daughter is an issue. She is 2.5 and as for a nanny...I've never had one and don't need one but not sure on options. I'd prefer hr in a nursery as I think it's academically better....but I'm not sure how to even go about discovering where is good prior to arrival and given that we would both be working...It's something that needs sorting now if I get the job is there a forum anyone can recommend?
Old Mar 27th 2017, 7:47 am
Just Joined

mustang sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!
There are lots of nurseries - some better than others. It may help to focus on the school for your KS1 child and the area you want to live in (ideally close to the school) as I certainly found a nursery close to home helps keep the blood pressure down!

You can survive without a helper (very few are qualified child carers - but that is not to say they aren't capable). I did, arriving with a 5yo and 1yo - for the first 4 1/2 years. They do make life easier though, particularly when you would rather leave the little one at home to rest/play rather than take them on school runs/activities etc. One issue you may have if both of you are working - children tend to catch various bugs/viruses here and consequently you will need cover, or a very understanding employer, when one is sick and can't go to school/nursery.

Most children I know adapted very well - though Summers aren't easy once the heat kicks in and many of their friends head away for most of the Summer holidays (approx. 11 weeks this year). However, there are Summer Camps/organised activities to keep them busy.

Best bet for all your questions will be the Facebook page 'British Mums Dubai'.

Good luck with the interview