Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

GPS in Doha-info request

GPS in Doha-info request

Old Jul 22nd 2014, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default GPS in Doha-info request

dear all

my husband in Doha is looking for a portable GPS with good maps of Doha. He says that he can find only GARMIN and that someone told him that GARMIN doesn't provide good maps.

What would you recommend? is it possible to find anything better? I could buy another GPS now here in Italy, but I am not sure if it will be possible then to load a map of Doha on an European GPS.

thanks a lot

Primula
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all
Default Re: GPS in Doha-info request

I use Garmin - If you buy in Italy you will get European maps but can buy Middle East maps on a Sim. - the roads change often so I recommend buying lifetime maps included in the unit not on a sim. life time maps for Middle East and North Africa costs $149.99.

I don't know of any better GPS.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

thank you very much. Did you buy your Garmin GPS in Doha? and may I ask you where? included this "maps continuous update" package?

ciao, Primula
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by primularossa
thank you very much. Did you buy your Garmin GPS in Doha? and may I ask you where? included this "maps continuous update" package?

ciao, Primula
I bought in KSA, but it really doesn't matter. You can buy in Carrfour or Lulu, probably with a single one time map upgrade. You buy the lifetime upgrade direct from garmin at $150. You need a decent internet connection to download the upgrades . It will probably take you no more than 3 months to find everywhere in Qatar/Doha and then the Garmin will be of no value in Doha. I find it useful when visiting other countries/cities in the region.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
I bought in KSA, but it really doesn't matter. You can buy in Carrfour or Lulu, probably with a single one time map upgrade. You buy the lifetime upgrade direct from garmin at $150. You need a decent internet connection to download the upgrades . It will probably take you no more than 3 months to find everywhere in Qatar/Doha and then the Garmin will be of no value in Doha. I find it useful when visiting other countries/cities in the region.
Correct , no need for a Garmin here as it's not a big city . Just get a map and get out on a Friday morning and you'll have it licked within a month . When you get lost just follow the signs for the airport and then begin again.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

JamesandTamsin is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Google Maps on my iPhone. Well I did until I learnt my way around.

It’s pretty good, though it still think most intersections are roundabouts. That and it tells you to turn left when it means right.

As has been said, if I can navigate with my sense of direction I doubt anyone will need a sat nav!