Reload this Page >

Goal posts being moved was Dubai now Doha or Kuwait

Goal posts being moved was Dubai now Doha or Kuwait

Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Senpaiman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goal posts being moved was Dubai now Doha or Kuwait

Hi All,

I have been in discussion over positionon in Dubai but last week the firm has stated they would rather me locate in Doha or Kuwait.

From what I can gather it will cost me about £5,000 a year more and from what I see round here the facilities/ lifestyle will be lower?

I am a UK resident and my main interest is fitness/ martial arts - I like a drink and being social but don't need to/ want to live in a Party Town as being married (all be it traveling alone) my party days are long gone.

All advise appreciated.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:52 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goal posts being moved was Dubai now Doha or Kuwait

Originally Posted by Senpaiman
Hi All,

I have been in discussion over positionon in Dubai but last week the firm has stated they would rather me locate in Doha or Kuwait.

From what I can gather it will cost me about £5,000 a year more and from what I see round here the facilities/ lifestyle will be lower?

I am a UK resident and my main interest is fitness/ martial arts - I like a drink and being social but don't need to/ want to live in a Party Town as being married (all be it traveling alone) my party days are long gone.

All advise appreciated.
I personally wouldn't live in Kuwait as I would go mental not being able to go to a restaurant or bar for a glass of vino. It is doable if you would get 2k extra a month to cover flying out every thursday to bahrain/doha or the UAE. Dubai is the glitz and glamour and you will not be short of things to do whereas Doha is quieter and I like that. There are martial arts clubs/Gyms and plenty of things to do if you look for it. I am never bored here.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Britexpat76 so Doha sounds ok but Kuwait a no as I do like my veno, this is what my research was pointing toward, out of interest can you buy wine to drink at home in either?

Am I right about the extra cost of living? I have it that I could live reasonably on about £21k in Dubai, but need more like £26k in Doha.

Not looking at flash living - 1 bed apartment - single living as family are staying in the UK, would be provided with a car, phone computer etc from work.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:14 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Thanks Britexpat76 so Doha sounds ok but Kuwait a no as I do like my veno, this is what my research was pointing toward, out of interest can you buy wine to drink at home in either?

Am I right about the extra cost of living? I have it that I could live reasonably on about £21k in Dubai, but need more like £26k in Doha.

Not looking at flash living - 1 bed apartment - single living as family are staying in the UK, would be provided with a car, phone computer etc from work.
AED9800/month (Dubai).

Are you serious?
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:16 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Kuwait is a no no regarding any alcohol. In doha you can drink in most the 5* hotels and buy plonk for at home from the booze shop. You can even buy Miss Piggy there. Its more expensive here but not that bad unless you are on the piss everynight. A 7L box of vino is £25 and will last you more than a week at home.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kix
AED9800/month (Dubai).

Are you serious?
UK resident...
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Kuwait and alcohol is plentiful, however, it is of the home brew variety. That is either you brew your own or you buy home brewed date rum off the locals. Also most long term expats have or know of an expat with a bar in their house.

I personally wouldn't go back to Kuwait (after living in Dubai) however, as a first middle east posting is is OK (as you know no better). It is a very slow pace of life and amenities are great. For example finding any social scene is a ball ache.

Saying that the date rum is awesome. Gets you trollied with no hangover the next day.

£21K as in, £21K a year? F**K that! Doable in Kuwait but not in Dubai or Doha if you want any kind of life. If, its a month, beers are on you and come on over!
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:24 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Kix
AED9800/month (Dubai).

Are you serious?
If that is what he gets to live on alone he would be fine. I am assuming that is what he means, 10k a month beer/food money?
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:31 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by britexpat76
If that is what he gets to live on alone he would be fine. I am assuming that is what he means, 10k a month beer/food money?
And where does he live? Never mentioned that accom is provided...
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Lady Penelope 2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Senpaiman
The quality of accommodation in Doha is lower than in Dubai. The rent is more expensive in Doha. Each time I visit my friend in Dubai at the Arabian Ranches she points to the town house with private garden across the road from her and laughs and reminds me that the rent is the same as I pay in Doha for my 1 bed flat with no facilities in the Bronx/Old Airport. However, the wages (in my experience) are higher in Doha.
You are likely to spend more of your wages in Dubai as there is more to do in Dubai, which could means less savings.
That aside, Doha is a great place to live, its boom time and in my opinion its a place for serious profesionals, yes that might seem boring but it doesnt have the wideboy bol++x new money element of Dubai. Yes its a bit rough around the edges but its more 'real'.
Could you negotiate more money and explain you have done your research regarding cost of living.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

To be clear I am going to be paid a lot more but I have to support my family back home too.

I fully understand I could be missing something hence asking the question here before accepting the offer/ moving!!!

What I estimated originally for Dubai was:

£
Food £1,036.27
Drink/ Eat Out £2,279.79
Training £829.02
Rent £10,362.69 £15,000 in Doha
Housing costs £4,317.79
Misc Cash £2,072.54
Annual Total £21,098.10 £26,000 in Doha
Monthly Total £1,758.18 £2,166.00
Monthly Total AED 10,000 QAR 12,000

As I stated this is only to support me, my family would be supported by what I send home.

As for the change of location I am assuming only 1 change, RENT! as it's the only thing I can research from a far, I have added an additional £5k as it looks like the rents in Doha are a lot higher but the terms more flexible.

I understand I look like a right newbie , but I prefer to be open and ask stupid questions up front rather than keep my mouth shut and feel stupid when it turns out I can't afford to eat! It's just my way.

Thanks for some possitive and constructive feedback so far.... sure you all understand how hard it is to get any sort of handle on such things from a far.

Last edited by Senpaiman; Mar 14th 2013 at 4:48 pm. Reason: Forum kept re-arranging my post!!!
Old Mar 14th 2013, 4:34 pm
Shark Fisherman

To be clear I am going to be paid a lot more but I have to support my family back home too.

I fully understand I could be missing something hence asking the question here before accepting the offer/ moving!!!

What I estimated originally for Dubai was:

£ AED
Food 1,036.27 6,000.00
Drink/ Eat Out 2,279.79 13,200.00
Training 829.02 4,800.00
Rent 10,362.69 60,000.00
Housing costs 4,317.79 25,000.00
Misc Cash 2,072.54 12,000.00
Annual Total 21,098.10 109,334.00
Monthly Total 1,758.18 9,111.17

As I stated this is only to support me, my family would be supported by what I send home.

As for the change of location I am assuming only 1 change, RENT! as it's the only thing I can research from a far, I have added an additional £5k as it looks like the rents in Doha are a lot higher but the terms more flexible.

I understand I look like a right newbie , but I prefer to be open and ask stupid questions up front rather than keep my mouth shut and feel stupid when it turns out I can't afford to eat! It's just my way.

Thanks for some possitive and constructive feedback so far.... sure you all understand how hard it is to get any sort of handle on such things from a far.
I cannot understand those numbers at all! Bottom line is you can rent a room in a villa for 5k a month leaving you 5k to live on in Doha. Doable but not going to be great fun for you. Unless what you are sending home is enough to save a good chunk and make a difference I would not bother.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Sorry mate the formatting is rubbish let me try and tidy it up and report.

Still looks unclear but basically 10,000 AED or 12,000 QAR per month. I know your exchange rates just dipped so this has impacted on my sums, was using 5.8 conversion rate so had it a little higher.

Last edited by Senpaiman; Mar 14th 2013 at 5:02 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:20 pm
Shark Fisherman

Sorry mate the formatting is rubbish let me try and tidy it up and report.

Still looks unclear but basically 10,000 AED or 12,000 QAR per month. I know your exchange rates just dipped so this has impacted on my sums, was using 5.8 conversion rate so had it a little higher.
7k a month will be tolerable, but only just. I don't know where you will be working or whether it will be with westerners. If it is with westerners it will be a bit miserable if they go out for a drink and meal and your weekly budget is blown on 1 night. I would have to be sending enough money home to mahe a difference there before I would consider living on 7k.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britexpat76
7k a month will be tolerable, but only just. I don't know where you will be working or whether it will be with westerners. If it is with westerners it will be a bit miserable if they go out for a drink and meal and your weekly budget is blown on 1 night. I would have to be sending enough money home to mahe a difference there before I would consider living on 7k.
Much appreciated, I think I'll have to ask for more and risk the job passing by, shame fancied the challenge but from what you are saying I'd need a £30k (165k QAR) living allowance and I know they only pay that for the next Job grade up ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.