Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Gems Wellington Dubai

Gems Wellington Dubai

Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:45 am
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all
Default Gems Wellington Dubai

Anyone else have experience of Gems Wellington Academy school in Dubai. I heard Gems schools used to be good but have recently expanded and built a lot of new schools. Apparently the Gems operation is now purely commercial as opposed to making good teaching a first priority.

I have an offer of a place for my daughter at Gems Wellington Academy but there are seven (I kid you not) year one classes alone - and this is replicated all the way up the grades. They seem to be focussing on high number of students to maximise income and charge some of the highest fees in Dubai. I am struggling to see what it is they offer over schools that are a lot cheaper and still have an outstanding rating.

I am wondering whether to try and get a place at a smaller school where the kids will not be just a number and get lost in amongst the thousands of others. I also met the senior staff and Wellington Academy and was not impressed - they seemed to reinforce the impresson that this is a money making operation and that they are really not that interested in the kids.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:44 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gems Wellington Dubai

Originally Posted by abbey08
Anyone else have experience of Gems Wellington Academy school in Dubai. I heard Gems schools used to be good but have recently expanded and built a lot of new schools. Apparently the Gems operation is now purely commercial as opposed to making good teaching a first priority.

I have an offer of a place for my daughter at Gems Wellington Academy but there are seven (I kid you not) year one classes alone - and this is replicated all the way up the grades. They seem to be focussing on high number of students to maximise income and charge some of the highest fees in Dubai. I am struggling to see what it is they offer over schools that are a lot cheaper and still have an outstanding rating.

I am wondering whether to try and get a place at a smaller school where the kids will not be just a number and get lost in amongst the thousands of others. I also met the senior staff and Wellington Academy and was not impressed - they seemed to reinforce the impresson that this is a money making operation and that they are really not that interested in the kids.
You have heard? Hahaha..
Yes they are a company who are in business to make a profit.

This may come as a shock to you, but some GEMS schools are better than others. The new ones tend to be very expensive whilst possibly not being any better in terms of teaching. Facilities will be top class though. The older ones are unable to raise their fees more than that which is allowed by KHDA hence they are relatively cheaper.

If you didn't like the school then for gods sake just move on and put your kids in a different school. The schools that are good and also reasonable are full with massive waiting lists so you probably have to compromise. Unless you have access to a company debenture somewhere of course.

Re number of classes I don't get you. Dubai is a city with more than 2 million residents. The kids need school places and since there aren't that many schools the ones that do exist have more students...
Old Sep 9th 2014, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Friends of ours had children at Gems Wellington a few years ago and had no complaints.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 4:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Remember - classes will be right on the limit of what they can get away with. EG: 27 kids is the max, so expect 4 classes of 27 instead of 5 classes of 21/22. That would cost an extra teacher, an extra apartment, an extra annual flight, an extra visa etc.

It's business first, but remember they have to sell something that at least looks and sounds quality or nobody would buy.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:37 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

moved mine from Gems AlKhail to Gems Cambridge
seems a bit better but to be honest I also wasnt too happy with the grade 1 having 7 sections!
I have always been anti-school anyway, take them out and home school them is what I say, but headquarters wont let me do it!
finding the right school, with good teachers AND a good reputation is hard to find I agree with you
and yes education, health, food are all businesses