Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Flights to London Thu night/Fri morning

Flights to London Thu night/Fri morning

Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:49 pm
W10

Default Re: Flights to London Thu night/Fri morning

Originally Posted by expat.brat
The facts speak for themselves. EK has more than 31" seat pitch.

Anyhow I'm glad we cleared that up.
Perhaps I may be confusing seat pitch with general overall comfort. I've flown Emirates on more than 10 occassions and (except for the two biz class flights) found the cabin to be extremely uncomfortable.

It's not Dubai bashing. I used to think Emirates was great. But now they cram the cabins, the food quality is poorer and the cabin crew are extremely surly in general.

The only light relief I ever had was from watching two US marines sitting next to each other on a flight to gatwick. They couldn't even move an inch.

Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:51 pm
W10

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Ever worked for them?
No. I wouldn't fancy working for an airline. I'm just a frequent flyer and Qatar are the only airline that I haven't had a bad experience with.

I'd start on BA, but you know that expat.brat would accuse me of being blinded by Brit bashing.

Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
No. I wouldn't fancy working for an airline. I'm just a frequent flyer and Qatar are the only airline that I haven't had a bad experience with.

I'd start on BA, but you know that expat.brat would accuse me of being blinded by Brit bashing.

ooh you're touchy today..
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:55 pm
W10

I'm always touchy (its why I keep getting arrested).

Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Perhaps I may be confusing seat pitch with general overall comfort. I've flown Emirates on more than 10 occassions and (except for the two biz class flights) found the cabin to be extremely uncomfortable.

It's not Dubai bashing. I used to think Emirates was great. But now they cram the cabins, the food quality is poorer and the cabin crew are extremely surly in general.

The only light relief I ever had was from watching two US marines sitting next to each other on a flight to gatwick. They couldn't even move an inch.
You've gone from objective to subjective. EK seat pitch is greater than industry average, general overall comfort depends on the person and how they are shaped/sized. As for the marines, they probably couldn't move an inch because they were sat in cattle class, its a pretty common experience amongst most airlines nowadays..
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:01 pm
W10

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Yeah, had to search by schedule, and managed to get it for that price. It's about 700 dirhams more than Qatar, but is a lot more convenient, like you say. I think the system was confused because I was wanting to return on the same day.
I found Dh3,300 return on Qatar

Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:05 pm
W10

Originally Posted by expat.brat
You've gone from objective to subjective. EK seat pitch is greater than industry average, general overall comfort depends on the person and how they are shaped/sized. As for the marines, they probably couldn't move an inch because they were sat in cattle class, its a pretty common experience amongst most airlines nowadays..
I'm 5ft 10ins tall and 74kg. Average height and weight.

Like I say. I fly on average twice a month and I find Emirates seats to be awful. It 'feels' a lot less than 32" (possibly becuase the AVOD box blocks half of the seat), and it is certainly an uncomfortable seat. Especially in the 777 because of the cramped config.

Check out the economy seat ratings link I sent...not good viewing for an emirates board member (actually they don't care because they're making a killing)

Last edited by W10; Jun 12th 2007 at 1:07 pm.

Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:38 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
I'm 5ft 10ins tall and 74kg. Average height and weight.

Like I say. I fly on average twice a month and I find Emirates seats to be awful. It 'feels' a lot less than 32" (possibly becuase the AVOD box blocks half of the seat), and it is certainly an uncomfortable seat. Especially in the 777 because of the cramped config.

Check out the economy seat ratings link I sent...not good viewing for an emirates board member (actually they don't care because they're making a killing)
Bugger. I'm 6' 2" and about 50 kilos more than you. And my company have put me on the Emirates flight. I will just have to beg them to give me a bulkhead seat.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

I have. We are using different definitions.

QA flights are nearly always the most expensive originating outside Doha and when making comparisons, take into consideration the airline is years and years away from being profitable .. and believe me, its due to incompetence.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:05 pm
W10

Well why on earth would I want to make a critique on the front end service and compare it with the back end model?

I am a customer and nothing else. Sorry but Qatar is cheaper than most airlines 90% of the time, it uses well maintained, modern planes with nice cabins, comfortable seats, great AVOD, decent food and provides (in my opinion - and seemingly in the opinion of the people who rank airlines) a better service than any other Middle Eastern airline.

Ergo - it's good.

Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Well why on earth would I want to make a critique on the front end service and compare it with the back end model?

I am a customer and nothing else. Sorry but Qatar is cheaper than most airlines 90% of the time, it uses well maintained, modern planes with nice cabins, comfortable seats, great AVOD, decent food and provides (in my opinion - and seemingly in the opinion of the people who rank airlines) a better service than any other Middle Eastern airline.

Ergo - it's good.
I wasn't comparing front to back, I was comparing airline to airline. I said first off .. it depends on your definition of good. I made a statement about the organisation as a whole and did not argue with your opinions on their front end service.

Flying out of Doha, QA is no dearer than anyone else's direct flights no, flying into Doha its always about the 4th or 5th most expensive. It's often cheaper to fly to DbX via Doha than terminate a flight at Doha.

As a customer, personally, I judge a company and its product on its all round performance. That includes where and how it sources its goods and services and how it treats its employees. Whether I am buying an airline ticket, a PC or a pair of pants.

I have had multiple problems with QA, particularly with ticketing and customer services, that's flying both business and economy although problems in economy were inordinately worse.

I wont go into my experiences as an employee and what I know about the organisation as a whole. It is all, however, part and parcel of why I will not work in the ME anymore.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:38 am
W10

As a customer, personally, I judge a company and its product on its all round performance. That includes where and how it sources its goods and services and how it treats its employees. Whether I am buying an airline ticket, a PC or a pair of pants.
I'm amazed you buy anything then

Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by W10
I'm amazed you buy anything then
Actually it's not *that* difficult, and I'm not 100% anal about it, if I don't know, I don't know. Once I do know though, I will vote with my feet or my pocket as do millions of others.

It becomes very hard to even try to turn a blind eye or look at what little positives come out of the situation in the ME when your profession is HR though.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:48 pm
W10

100% anal
One of the best movies of all time!!

Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by W10
One of the best movies of all time!!

I wouldn't know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.