Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Filling in a UK tax return

Filling in a UK tax return

Old Oct 18th 2017, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Filling in a UK tax return

Hi all. It's my first year here in the middle east and I realise I need to do my UK tax return.

How do you guys do it?

In the UK I have always busy filed using the hmrc online form, which was pretty straightforward. I have a savings account and some dividends but nothing major. Now that I'm here we have rental income from renting our UK house.

I was planning to do the same this year and use the online hmrc form but according to this I can't as I'm no longer a resident.
https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad

Now I'm worried as it seems paper returns have to be in by end of October.

Am I misunderstanding? What's the easiest way to submit?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Oct 18th 2017, 9:38 pm
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Filling in a UK tax return

If you are renting through an estate agent I think they are legally obliged to inform HMRC of your rental income. You can phone the Self Assessment help phone line for people overseas on 00 44 1619319070 for information - week days UK time 8am - 8pm - also open at weekends - shorter hours.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I filled online last week, while claiming non residence.

Should add that I used 'software' for this. Same login etc. I use taxcalc, it's very easy and costs about 20quid.

Last edited by Millhouse; Oct 18th 2017 at 10:47 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

Should add that I used 'software' for this. Same login etc. I use taxcalc, it's very easy and costs about 20quid.

Likewise, I use taxcalc
Old Oct 19th 2017, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

Yes, to file online from overseas you MUST use one of the approved software packages as these include S109 form. I've used taxcalc for some years and it works fine and has never been rejected by HMRC.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Great. Thanks all. Taxcalc it is then.

I presume the deadline is the same as it is for using the hmrc website to submit it. Ie January not end of October?
Old Oct 19th 2017, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominoman
Great. Thanks all. Taxcalc it is then.

I presume the deadline is the same as it is for using the hmrc website to submit it. Ie January not end of October?
Yup
Old Oct 19th 2017, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sabi Star
If you are renting through an estate agent I think they are legally obliged to inform HMRC of your rental income.
not only that but they're obliged to deduct tax prior to paying you unless you tell them you are an HMRC-approved non-resident landlord (NRL).

You can apply for NRL status with HMRC (google form online) and, if approved, they'll give you a code you give to your letting agent so that they don't have to deduct tax.

Be aware that if you don't have NRL status and your tenant pays you directly then they are responsible for withholding tax as follows:

If you don’t have a letting agent and your tenant pays you more than £100 a week in rent, they’ll deduct the tax from their rent payments to you.
tenants probably have no idea that this is their responsibility however...
Old Oct 19th 2017, 9:43 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sicklyman
not only that but they're obliged to deduct tax prior to paying you unless you tell them you are an HMRC-approved non-resident landlord (NRL).

You can apply for NRL status with HMRC (google form online) and, if approved, they'll give you a code you give to your letting agent so that they don't have to deduct tax.

Be aware that if you don't have NRL status and your tenant pays you directly then they are responsible for withholding tax as follows:

Yes I thought that was the case but did not check. I know someone who has this done for them by large London estate agent - so thought it maybe was not be done by all agents. I don't think this person has any dealings themselves with HMRC but only with tax authorities where they live - which is France.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

I used to use software, one of the packages someone on this board recommended, but to be honest I found it a bit of a pain. I now just do it on paper - really quick (especially if you keep a photocopy of last year's, and just copy/update the figures). I try to remember to do it in June, and then post it when I am back in the UK in July or August. I don't have property to worry about, just some UK income & investments (separate to my UAE income etc), so maybe software is better for those with property.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sicklyman

How would this work? If they withhold tax then how do they then pass that on to HMRC? My tenants shouldn't have to deal with the taxman on my behalf.

It would all be very complicated. The amount of tax due can only be worked out at the end of the year once the interest deductions and other expenses (letting fees, maintenance, inspections costs etc) have been deducted. And in my case the income is then split amongst me and my wife as we jointly own the property.

Much easier to receive rent and treat it as any other income - with the tax worked out and paid once the tax return is done
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

don't shoot the messenger. I'm just quoting the government's website advice.

You're right that it's easier taking the whole amount and declaring the income on your return. But I wonder if the rule is there to tackle landlords who don't actually do that... ahem...