Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Filipino maid visa for UK visit

Filipino maid visa for UK visit

Old Apr 30th 2013, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filipino maid visa for UK visit

Originally Posted by Scamp
Is it now that I mention my sister and I had a full time Nanny when we were younger?
You spoilt brat.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abbey08
Alas you are spot on, I do need a babysitter when I am back in Blighty so any advice would be appreciated.
She is getting three weeks holiday all expenses in London so don't really think there is any "worker abuse" going on.
No cleaning, cooking etc as she would do in Doha, so not really working is probably accurate.
as said have to been working for you for a year.

Last edited by busybee2; Apr 30th 2013 at 7:17 am.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 7:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mentalist
You spoilt brat.

Parents were loaded then, late 80's, early 90's boom time. We had it all.

Crash came, rug got pulled, they split, bye bye mega-nanny Vanessa, hello broken home.

I wonder how many more stories there are like that from that period.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 7:41 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

You lot are awfully mean sometimes.

It is quite possible that the maid would like to visit the UK and in return for looking after the children on some days will get time off and taken to see a few places that she would never get to see otherwise.

My view generally is that having domestic staff is little different to employing a secretary or decorator. You could do the work yourself, but there are other more productive uses of your time (referring to housework more than child-minding really) and things you would rather do.

Unless you know the OP, his family, maid and how she is treated, how can you say that his request is a bad thing? You can't possibly know either way.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

No matter how well you treat your maid they have still drawn a very short straw in life's lottery. They have to consider that you are not going to employ them for ever and their next employer is likely to be a complete shit. Any maid with even the slightest bit of nous should use their initiative and abscond if ever taken to the west. I am bloody sure I would if in the same position.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
No matter how well you treat your maid they have still drawn a very short straw in life's lottery. They have to consider that you are not going to employ them for ever and their next employer is likely to be a complete shit. Any maid with even the slightest bit of nous should use their initiative and abscond if ever taken to the west. I am bloody sure I would if in the same position.
Very true.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Really?

Go from legally employed, earning a salary, holding a visa and living in potentially a nice house......to living illegally in London (eg), without a job, without a home etc etc etc.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:11 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Tosh, as Scamp said. What would she do for a job?

Having said that, I wouldn't mind absconding to the Philippines. Closest I've ever got is Ratsky's...
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:22 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Really?

Go from legally employed, earning a salary, holding a visa and living in potentially a nice house......to living illegally in London (eg), without a job, without a home etc etc etc.
Quite. I am sure many are very happy with their situation, with a kind employer and security. Maybe not ideal, but better than struggling to earn a living.

Like most things, we only tend to hear about maids who are mistreated, not from those who are happy enough with their situation. There is nothing instrinsically wrong with domestic work. Statistics show that some 40% of British women were in domestic service in the 1890s, although declined sharply from the time of WW1 onwards. One of my grandmothers was a cook in a manor house.

Not everyone gets the same advantages that many of us do in the West and there are far worse ways to make a living than being a housemaid for a benign employer.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
Quite. I am sure many are very happy with their situation, with a kind employer and security. Maybe not ideal, but better than struggling to earn a living.

Like most things, we only tend to hear about maids who are mistreated, not from those who are happy enough with their situation. There is nothing instrinsically wrong with domestic work. Statistics show that some 40% of British women were in domestic service in the 1890s, although declined sharply from the time of WW1 onwards. One of my grandmothers was a cook in a manor house.

Not everyone gets the same advantages that many of us do in the West and there are far worse ways to make a living than being a housemaid for a benign employer.
Agree. I know my point cannot be applied across every situation, I just don't think that the opposite (desire to abscond) can be applied universally either.

There are horrible situations and great situations, all are very different. If a maid wants a job in the UK, I'm sure there are potentially easier ways to get there than by working for a family in the Middle East until they eventually take you on holiday to England to baby sit.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

GolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant future

Really?

Absolutely right Scamp. I'd say most maids working for a western family here are probably able to send at least Dh1,000 home to their families each month as almost all their expenses are covered on top of salary.

How many illegal immigrants in the UK are able to stash away £200 per month after all their living expenses? In fact how many legal citizens are able to do that...?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GolfGardener
Absolutely right Scamp. I'd say most maids working for a western family here are probably able to send at least Dh1,000 home to their families each month as almost all their expenses are covered on top of salary.

How many illegal immigrants in the UK are able to stash away £200 per month after all their living expenses? In fact how many legal citizens are able to do that...?
I would suggest most of them.

The legal citizens all want to rattle around in a house while working as little as possible. The illegals are quite happy in a slumlandlord flat and doing three jobs.
Old May 1st 2013, 9:13 am
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

Meow;It is quite possible that the maid would like to visit the UK and in return for looking after the children on some days will get time off and taken to see a few places that she would never get to see otherwise.

First person to see things correctly from the maids point of view.
Old May 1st 2013, 9:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by abbey08
Meow;It is quite possible that the maid would like to visit the UK and in return for looking after the children on some days will get time off and taken to see a few places that she would never get to see otherwise.

First person to see things correctly from the maids point of view.
However you want to justify it, you will.
Old May 1st 2013, 10:52 am
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

Option 2 is leave her in a compound in Doha in the middle of fifty degree summer heat on her own.

Option 1 is three weeks in a five star hotel in London, top restaurants, no cooking, cleaning, ironing, washing, a bit of spending money thrown her way, tourist attractions, and some babysitting..............

Now even you Scamp as argumentative and provocative as you try to be should really in this instance shut the f**k up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.