Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

A few questions regarding visa and tax

A few questions regarding visa and tax

Old Mar 20th 2017, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Jadeamy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A few questions regarding visa and tax

Hi all my husband and I are considering a move to Dubai.

He has been offered around 45,000aed per month as a package. This is around 28k aed wage and 17k aed in allowances. This is inclusive of flight to and from for my husband and I, medical insurance £2k moving allowance and two months end of service gratuity after two years.

My question is would it make sense for me to come over on his visa or should I be trying to find a job and come out on my own visa? I am a teacher so hopefully I would be able to find a school who offer accommodation or money towards accommodation.

We are hoping to be able to save up over the two years before starting a family back home. Is it true we would ha r to pay tax for the two years? We would be moving around July/Aug. If we have to continue to pay tax back home it may not be worth while for us.

I hope someone is able to help :-)
Old Mar 21st 2017, 6:55 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few questions regarding visa and tax

Plenty other posts on the tax issue if you look. Easiest way to avoid tax is to be confirmed UK non-resident (and tax free from the day you left the UK) is by passing the 'Automatic Overseas Test'. Basically you need to work full-time overseas for a full tax year and limit your visits/ days working in the UK. If possible, your hubby should leave the UK and start working before 6th April this year, otherwise he'll need to work until 5th April 2019 to meet that test. This can be risky, as his job may not work out and job security is nil in the whole region.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Jadeamy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A few questions regarding visa and tax

Thank you! We wouldn't be able to get out there by April so the second option would have to work.