Reload this Page >

Expected Salary in Oman

Expected Salary in Oman

Old Jun 12th 2017, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

EddyBaloch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expected Salary in Oman

Hi,

I have been considered for a Finance senior manager job in Muscat. They have asked for an expected salary without telling me their budget.

My current salary in UK, inclusive is £100k per annum.

With two kids going to primary, Is it possible for someone to help me out here?

Thanks,
Ed
Old Jun 13th 2017, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expected Salary in Oman

it's ramadhan over here and so people are on part time hours....i'm sure someone will get back to you
Old Jun 13th 2017, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mission
it's ramadhan over here and so people are on part time hours....i'm sure someone will get back to you
Thanks

A recruiter told me OMR3000 plus benefits (and then said its his guess as he doesn't recruit for Oman)
I was approached for a job last year that said budget up to OMR5500 plus benefits
Google Search says 2000

I am all confused. I don't want to give a wishy-washy answer and at the same time do not want to undervalue myself.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 10:15 am
Just Joined

sman987 is an unknown quantity at this point

In the UAE they generally

- Take your current salary.. say 100K
- Remove the tax -- so you take home 70K
- Give you that -- say approx 5K a month; try and get a bit high as exchange rate is low at the moment.
- Then add in housing and most schooling covered

So say 3000OMR + housing + schooling would work.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sman987
In the UAE they generally

- Take your current salary.. say 100K
- Remove the tax -- so you take home 70K
- Give you that -- say approx 5K a month; try and get a bit high as exchange rate is low at the moment.
- Then add in housing and most schooling covered

So say 3000OMR + housing + schooling would work.
Thanks so much. Do you know if common in the Middle East to negotiate? In UK so far my experience has been take it or leave it.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 10:51 am
Just Joined

sman987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EddyBaloch
Thanks so much. Do you know if common in the Middle East to negotiate? In UK so far my experience has been take it or leave it.
I'd negotiate based on the exchange rate. I live in Abu Dhabi and moved here when it was 6AED/STG now its 4.7 so I'm 20-30% better off. You will move with an exchange rate that in 2 years time could make you 20% worse off in sterling terms.

They do negogiate here.. Just maybe not that much 10-20% might be doable
Old Jun 14th 2017, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Taz786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EddyBaloch
Definitely negotiate. I've worked for 3 companies within the region and have realized, if they like you, they would be willing to pay extra to attract you.

Note, don't be too greedy but nothing wrong with being confident.

Good luck.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

eastrunner is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved to Muscat last year, a few things to note, there are no pensions in the middle east so I would add the pension % and any other benefits from the UK to your salary and give a package rate, i.e. if your pension and total benefits are about 25% then quote 125,000 GBP. In the times when oil was 120 USD a barrel, people used to get loads of allowances but now everything is bunched up and they give it as one salary. An yes the exchange rate matters as the pound has taken a hit. You should be good with anything north of 4500 Omr a month. Kids schooling can be expensive. We have a toddler so currently not an issue. So that needs to be a consideration. The British school can be anywhere from 3000-8000 per year/child (Nursery is 3000 - A levels is around 8000 according to my boss who has 4 kids). Housing here is less expensive than other cities in the region. You can get a villa any where from 800-1500, depending on the area. Flats are cheaper and there's an over supply issue so the prices have come down quite a bit. they range from 500-800 for a 2 bed.

ER
Old Jun 14th 2017, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by eastrunner
We moved to Muscat last year, a few things to note, there are no pensions in the middle east so I would add the pension % and any other benefits from the UK to your salary and give a package rate, i.e. if your pension and total benefits are about 25% then quote 125,000 GBP. In the times when oil was 120 USD a barrel, people used to get loads of allowances but now everything is bunched up and they give it as one salary. An yes the exchange rate matters as the pound has taken a hit. You should be good with anything north of 4500 Omr a month. Kids schooling can be expensive. We have a toddler so currently not an issue. So that needs to be a consideration. The British school can be anywhere from 3000-8000 per year/child (Nursery is 3000 - A levels is around 8000 according to my boss who has 4 kids). Housing here is less expensive than other cities in the region. You can get a villa any where from 800-1500, depending on the area. Flats are cheaper and there's an over supply issue so the prices have come down quite a bit. they range from 500-800 for a 2 bed.

ER
Thank you so much. This is very helpful
Old Jun 14th 2017, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

eastrunner is an unknown quantity at this point

Fees 2017 - 2018 | British School Muscat

Groceries are around 300 a OMR month goes up when the missues tries to go organic
Broadband around 20 OMR
You can get a live in maid for around 150 OMR a month
Utilities are subsidized electricity + water is around 40
Old Jun 15th 2017, 10:33 am
Just Joined

FrederickBloggs is an unknown quantity at this point

I work for an Omani company. I'd say "take it or leave it" is quite common for an offer of work in Oman. Particularly at the present time of financial pressures. I'd also say that salaries are generally maybe amongst the lowest in GCC countries for western expats, but perhaps they have dropped elsewhere too. I have had to settle for 3000 OMR a month all in, which is a lot lower than I normally work for. But I need to eat. I took the job when it was ~1.65 OMR to the GBP. It is now ~2.04 so that has helped. I like Oman and Omani people generally, but I think if salaries do improve over the coming years a lot of people will follow the cash. I know a lot of ex UAE UK people in Oman, I get the impression they will move back there for the right salary.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

whovijay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FrederickBloggs
I work for an Omani company. I'd say "take it or leave it" is quite common for an offer of work in Oman. Particularly at the present time of financial pressures. I'd also say that salaries are generally maybe amongst the lowest in GCC countries for western expats, but perhaps they have dropped elsewhere too. I have had to settle for 3000 OMR a month all in, which is a lot lower than I normally work for. But I need to eat. I took the job when it was ~1.65 OMR to the GBP. It is now ~2.04 so that has helped. I like Oman and Omani people generally, but I think if salaries do improve over the coming years a lot of people will follow the cash. I know a lot of ex UAE UK people in Oman, I get the impression they will move back there for the right salary.
I understand that its an old post now but wanted to know how did you move go to Oman. How much do you manage to save with 3000OMR with the breakdown of costs please?
Many thanks for your help.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 12:42 am
Just Joined

FrederickBloggs is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked in Oman but only for a short period. As a western expat, a salary of OMR 3000 per month is simply not enough. More than half my salary was taken by accommodation and living costs. I didn't even run a car. I would say that for expats used to a standard of living somewhat lower than a European or American would deem acceptable, OMR 3000 might be OK. For a western expat, you need at least 50% more for it to be even worth thinking about. To demonstrate this, I found that while my salary was OMR 3000 my Omani colleagues were picking up OMR 4500 or more for exactly the same job. Hope that helps. I left Oman after three months and went to a country where I get 3.5x as much per month salary.