Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UK to UAE complicated license conversion

UK to UAE complicated license conversion

Old Feb 15th 2018, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

ShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to all
Default UK to UAE complicated license conversion

Hello,

Wonder if anyone can help— I’ve just moved to Abu Dhabi. I’m a British / American dual national, getting my residence permit on my American passport. BUT I have a UK driving license.

I just found out about this rule that you can only exchange your driving license for a UAE one if you’re a citizen of the country where you got your driving license. Will they consider my British nationality for the license conversion even though my residence permit is on a different passport?

I obviously wouldn’t do this if I had known about this rule.

Many thanks in advance!
Old Feb 15th 2018, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to UAE complicated license conversion

Originally Posted by ShirleyG102
Hello,

Wonder if anyone can help— I’ve just moved to Abu Dhabi. I’m a British / American dual national, getting my residence permit on my American passport. BUT I have a UK driving license.

I just found out about this rule that you can only exchange your driving license for a UAE one if you’re a citizen of the country where you got your driving license. Will they consider my British nationality for the license conversion even though my residence permit is on a different passport?

I obviously wouldn’t do this if I had known about this rule.

Many thanks in advance!
Interesting situation I’m fairly certain that because your licence and both citizenship’s are in the allowed list you should be ok.

See below

Exempt country: Licence and Citizenship
If you are a citizen of one of the above countries, and also have a licence from one of these countries (same or different), the process is very simple. For example, if you are a Japanese citizen with a valid Japanese driving licence or a Japanese citizen with a Saudi driving licence, you can go straight to RTA and get your UAE licence in less than 20 minutes if all your required documents are in order.

That’s from the Dubai RTA guidance..... as it’s a UAE wide licence I’m assuming the same will apply in AD.