Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai stopover in August - Good plan or too F'ing hot?

Dubai stopover in August - Good plan or too F'ing hot?

Old Apr 1st 2013, 4:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dubai stopover in August - Good plan or too F'ing hot?

Ok, so I'm going to Europe from Australia in August and have the chance to stop over in Dubai for a few days on the way home. Good plan or is it too ****ing hot to do anything and I'll spend all my time indoors at the hotel or () shopping mall?
Old Apr 1st 2013, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all
Default Re: Dubai stopover in August - Good plan or too F'ing hot?

Too hot and Ramadan till 7th august, Eid till 15/16th August.

Not much else to do in Dubai but eat & drink - (limited locations in Ramadan) and shopping Malls
Old Apr 1st 2013, 4:19 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Up to 50 during the day and around 35 at night so you literally cannot sit outside. You're going to only be moving from A/C'd hotel, to A/C'd taxi to A/C'd mall.

Last edited by mikewot; Apr 1st 2013 at 4:19 am. Reason: Centigrade, not F
Old Apr 1st 2013, 4:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
Too hot and Ramadan till 7th august, Eid till 15/16th August.

Not much else to do in Dubai but eat & drink - (limited locations in Ramadan) and shopping Malls
Originally Posted by mikewot
Up to 50 during the day and around 35 at night so you literally cannot sit outside. You're going to only be moving from A/C'd hotel, to A/C'd taxi to A/C'd mall.
Well, that sucks. I was hoping to stop over and go to the markets. Oh well, guess I'll have to travel during the Middle Eastern winter instead. Thanks guys.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
Too hot and Ramadan till 7th august, Eid till 15/16th August...
Is Eid really that long?
Old Apr 1st 2013, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mentalist
Is Eid really that long?
No its 3 days 8/9/10 but that is Thurs/Fri/Sat
Old Apr 1st 2013, 7:10 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Ok, so I'm going to Europe from Australia in August and have the chance to stop over in Dubai for a few days on the way home. Good plan or is it too ****ing hot to do anything and I'll spend all my time indoors at the hotel or () shopping mall?
Depends on your tolerance. We still use the beach/pool in August, it's fine until midday then from around 3pm onwards it's also bearable.

Ramadan gets too much bad press - it's quiet (bonus) and restaurants all open from 7pm. Most hotels allow you have soft drinks during the day, even if it means being discreet at the pool.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:44 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

What markets?

Carrefour is pretty much the same anywhere.

Well, that sucks. I was hoping to stop over and go to the markets. Oh well, guess I'll have to travel during the Middle Eastern winter instead. Thanks guys.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Just think of going to the Pilbara or Kimberley in the middle of December and not being able to swig on your water bottle. If you don't want to stay indoors and shop, it's not really the time to go - but Ramadan is a great time to shop because there's hardly anyone in the malls during the day and there are usually loads of good bargains happening.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 7:10 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't stop thousands of tourists visiting Dubai over the summer months, I like Ramadan as it is quieter, shorter working day for the husband. We spend a lot more time at the pool as NL said later in the day. However if you are thinking of visiting souks then I would say no, they are outdoor and it would be unbearable.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

...and take note of the news tonight advising Australian tourists how to behave in Dubai now that Qantas is in partnership with Emirates. No PDA's, dress conservatively, don't get drunk, violent or swear.

I was actually quite impressed to see if on the news tonight as there will be many more Australians flying through now.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 11:09 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
...and take note of the news tonight advising Australian tourists how to behave in Dubai
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikewot
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 11:50 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by Kim67
...and take note of the news tonight advising Australian tourists how to behave in Dubai now that Qantas is in partnership with Emirates. No PDA's, dress conservatively, don't get drunk, violent or swear.

I was actually quite impressed to see if on the news tonight as there will be many more Australians flying through now.
I saw that. Not getting drunk, violent or swearing on holiday is going to be a challenge for the Aussie bogans who are used to Bali

I've actually booked a different route so now I'm stopping in Singapore. I know it's hot in SIN in summer, but not +50 type hot.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. If I ever do decide to travel during northern winter I'll be sure to spend a few days in Dubai.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I saw that. Not getting drunk, violent or swearing on holiday is going to be a challenge for the Aussie bogans who are used to Bali

I've actually booked a different route so now I'm stopping in Singapore. I know it's hot in SIN in summer, but not +50 type hot.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. If I ever do decide to travel during northern winter I'll be sure to spend a few days in Dubai.
Haha, that's what I thought. I think they better stick to Bali.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.