Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is Dubai a racist City???

Is Dubai a racist City???

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:19 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Dubai a racist City???

Originally Posted by LakesLassie
I just don't see what can be gained by raising this old chestnut again. We all know we all have our own views - we don't necessarily need to stick them on a public forum to have them validated.

I think there's been enough confrontation on here recently. Can't we stick to sexual innuendo instead?!
I would say those 'sexual innuendo' causing all the trouble ...
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:20 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tami2
Hi Novi,
What's up, hon? How's Jelly/Jools after all the fuss this weekend? I'm not really trying to pull anyone's chain, but I think it could be an interesting discussion if everyone could make calm observations insted of angry cuts, you know? Maybe that's just not possible any more?
Hi Tami ... I think Jelly still recovering ... I do like to follow the discussion abt racism ... being an Asian married to a Caucasian... I still received 'funny' treatment here and there ...
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:26 am
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by novita77
Hi Tami ... I think Jelly still recovering ... I do like to follow the discussion abt racism ... being an Asian married to a Caucasian... I still received 'funny' treatment here and there ...
I know what you mean. My best friend in Riyadh was half Vietnamese and half Polish, married to an Austrian diplomat. She used to get rude comments from strangers all the time because they automatically took her for a housemaid or something worse :scared: . She eventually learned to just laugh at it, but I think deep down it still upset her.
Then there's my own kids, half American and half Iranian. The older three look more ethnic, while my little one came out just like my Mom, fair-skinnedm, light brown hair with blondish highlights and blue/green eyes. We get so many questions about where she came from. And people here in the states treat the older ones different, because they do look middle eastern.
Of course there is discrimination everywhere, it's just that, IN MY OPINION, and from the places I've lived/visited, the worst of it APPEARS to be in the Arab countries.
It's an opinion people.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:41 am
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

Translation please...
Oh sorry, I don't have the zionist-English dictionary.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:44 am
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DanMarsden
Oh sorry, I don't have the zionist-English dictionary.
WTF little boy...you'd better choose your battles better. I'm one of the biggest Palestinian supporters you'll find in this part of the world...so watch yourself!
And if you can't write a coherant post, it's not my fault.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:48 am
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

My point is, your obvious bias against Muslims doesn't even need to be pointed out. That there are so many Muslim countries that might be racist does not mean "Israel" cannot be racist. Are we done with the fallacies or not yet?
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:53 am
Yes, Master...

My point is, your obvious bias against Muslims doesn't even need to be pointed out. That there are so many Muslim countries that might be racist does not mean "Israel" cannot be racist. Are we done with the fallacies or not yet?
You are one stupid little ****. MY HUSBAND, to whom I have been married for 21 years, and his entire family are Moslem! I am NOT in any way against Moslems; I am, however, against the racism and prejudice I have seen in ARAB countries. If I were a sociologist, I would find it interesting to study why it APPEARS, that Arabs are more prejudiced that other Moslems. That was my point, genius!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:56 am
semarang

I know what you mean. My best friend in Riyadh was half Vietnamese and half Polish, married to an Austrian diplomat. She used to get rude comments from strangers all the time because they automatically took her for a housemaid or something worse :scared: . She eventually learned to just laugh at it, but I think deep down it still upset her.
Then there's my own kids, half American and half Iranian. The older three look more ethnic, while my little one came out just like my Mom, fair-skinnedm, light brown hair with blondish highlights and blue/green eyes. We get so many questions about where she came from. And people here in the states treat the older ones different, because they do look middle eastern.
Of course there is discrimination everywhere, it's just that, IN MY OPINION, and from the places I've lived/visited, the worst of it APPEARS to be in the Arab countries.
It's an opinion people.
Went shopping to Carrefour with hubby... he walked first to the cashier and I walked last. I grabbed a bar of chocolate and put it on the till last ... the cashier asked me, "Have u asked ur employer permission???" I said... "no I haven't ... pls don't tell him". This cashier asked my husband,"Sir, ur maid took this chocolate bar!".
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:00 am
Yes, Master...

Went shopping to Carrefour with hubby... he walked first to the cashier and I walked last. I grabbed a bar of chocolate and put it on the till last ... the cashier asked me, "Have u asked ur employer permission???" I said... "no I haven't ... pls don't tell him". This cashier asked my husband,"Sir, ur maid took this chocolate bar!".
OMG...did your husband deck the guy...I would have. I actually got into a huge fight with a stupid Saudi woman in the mall one day because she was beating her maid right there in front of everyone. I don't know if she understood my English, but I'm sure she understood me pushing her away from the maid and screaming at her. It probably didn't help the maid any in the long run, but someone has to stand up to people who abuse their maids.
And, you certainly should have given that stupid salesclerk a piece of your mind!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:05 am
semarang

OMG...did your husband deck the guy...I would have. I actually got into a huge fight with a stupid Saudi woman in the mall one day because she was beating her maid right there in front of everyone. I don't know if she understood my English, but I'm sure she understood me pushing her away from the maid and screaming at her. It probably didn't help the maid any in the long run, but someone has to stand up to people who abuse their maids.
And, you certainly should have given that stupid salesclerk a piece of your mind!
lol... slow down Tami ... it is just a bit of fun... that cashier guy i think in shock when I am the on who pay the shopping bill

Wherever we go ppl very often think that I am the maid in the family Once we went to Indonesian restaurant in Doha ... and being served with a new waiter (a girl) ... she asked ... how can my employer treating me very nice ??? I told her ... ,"Make sure u sleep with him !!!" And she asked me ... do I sleep with him ??? (Referring to hubby who read a paper on the table)... I said ... yes I sleep with him everynight hehehe...

right ... off to school now ... speak to u later ... XX
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:07 am
Yes, Master...

lol... slow down Tami ... it is just a bit of fun... that cashier guy i think in shock when I am the on who pay the shopping bill

Wherever we go ppl very often think that I am the maid in the family Once we went to Indonesian restaurant in Doha ... and being served with a new waiter (a girl) ... she asked ... how can my employer treating me very nice ??? I told her ... ,"Make sure u sleep with him !!!" And she asked me ... do I sleep with him ??? (Referring to hubby who read a paper on the table)... I said ... yes I sleep with him everynight hehehe...

right ... off to school now ... speak to u later ... XX
Good you can take is that way, Novi. I need to get to bed anyway. Have a great day. Talk to you tomorrow.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

Originally Posted by LakesLassie
I just don't see what can be gained by raising this old chestnut again. We all know we all have our own views - we don't necessarily need to stick them on a public forum to have them validated.

I think there's been enough confrontation on here recently. Can't we stick to sexual innuendo instead?!

Some subjects will always come up over and over again for as long as mankind is on this planet and are affected by it one way or another. Some new members might like to have their say and I personally love to observe people's views and opinions.

I can't comment about racism at workplaces but keep hearing about it. I am always keen to hear from people what it is like to work with a huge mix of nationalities that did their degrees in different parts of the world and aquired different skills. I would quite love to be somewhere for a week to get a taster of it, as working and mingling is so different to mingling during social hours. I grew up in Switzerland surrounded by many nationalities with big majorities of Italians,Spanish,Portuguese,Ex-Yugoslawians and Turkish but there they all had to adjust to one kind of life and most of them were labourers. My generation, I was a refugee child myself, were mainly born in Switzerland and therefore at work we might have had many backgrounds but all from the same educations system and therefore trained to work like Swiss clockwork but you would still find discrepancies and therfore I just cannot imagine the sort of chaos at a workplace in Dubai.

In regards to racism in everyday life, I have never felt prouder to be a human being than here in Dubai. In Switzerland, people are racist and even at work, because if by the time you finished school and you were not in the possession of a Swiss passport you would find it extremely challenging to get a job even if you had the highest degree possible. Obtaining a Swiss passport is for many labourers totally unaffordable. You have to pay Dhs 25,000.00 and will be checked out by police in every detail, even if you sleep on a bed, have a table and chairs, what kind of food you eat, which paper you read, how you dispose of your garbage, ... and then you have to take tests over tests and know everything about the history, culture, politics and you have to speak Swiss German which cannot be even learned as it only is a slang and each county (Kanton) has a different one. So, innocent kids like me, who were born there, have no rights, if our parents weren't given the chance to earn more money. Oh they will happily give you a job and use your talents but for a fraction of the salary of a Swiss person and then Swiss people shout aloud that we take their jobs away. They should have a word with their government and not blame it on people looking for a decent life.

It is quite interesting to see a gap between classes here and that is the only discrimination which I can feel and see but doesn't really bother me, as it isn't so harmful. There seems to be a lot of competition about who has got what kind of job and what they possess and where they hang out which is kind of typical Middle Eastern behaviour (not generalizing, just an observation) and it seems that many ex-pats follow suit. This was one thing which doesn't exist in Switzerland. People who have a lot of money like to hide it in their bank accounts, drive middle class cars, don't walk around to be noticed and generaly like to mix in with the crowds not judging people by their earnings just race.

I left my anxieties of fitting into a society behind in Europe and hope will never be faced with such again here in Dubai but have to learn to figure out people for who they are. Very interesting switch for me.

A note on Iran, people there do have home help and the majority is from Afghanistan. I do agree that they usualy try to treat them well but sadly due to the nature of people from Afghanistan, there are many sad cases of not labour abuse but labourers killing and robbing their employers and hence the hatred towards people from Afghanistan has grown and not many are keen to employ them and not many other nationalities are keen to work and live in Iran.

Good morning everyone! Lets tackle this complex world the best way we can. :scared:
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:32 am
Banned

You are one stupid little ****. MY HUSBAND, to whom I have been married for 21 years, and his entire family are Moslem! I am NOT in any way against Moslems; I am, however, against the racism and prejudice I have seen in ARAB countries. If I were a sociologist, I would find it interesting to study why it APPEARS, that Arabs are more prejudiced that other Moslems. That was my point, genius!
Yet you refuse to look at "Israeli" racism, by arguing that there are so many Arab/Muslim countries in the region that are racist. Still does not make any sense. How does the fact that the Arab countries are racist change the fact that "Israel" can be and is in fact a racist state (and not only simply racist, but FOUNDED on the bases of racism and supremacism)????????
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:36 am
semarang

Yet you refuse to look at "Israeli" racism, by arguing that there are so many Arab/Muslim countries in the region that are racist. Still does not make any sense. How does the fact that the Arab countries are racist change the fact that "Israel" can be and is in fact a racist state (and not only simply racist, but FOUNDED on the bases of racism and supremacism)????????
Dan !!! Just agree to be disagree !!!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:42 am
Banned

Dan !!! Just agree to be disagree !!!
It's not her opinion I am disagreeing with, it's her methods of arriving at it. It's utterly fallacious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.