Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Marina - is it nice to live there?

Dubai Marina - is it nice to live there?

Old Jul 14th 2015, 7:48 pm
VHB
Just Joined

VHB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai Marina - is it nice to live there?

Hey there,

I'll be relocating to Dubai with the Mrs (no kids) this October; considering Marina for accommodation. will be working out of internet city; Mrs will probably end up working at DIFC, still looking.

Have read about the traffic situation, since the advent of tram. can someone give an insight into the real deal?

Currently, we live in Canary Wharf, London; we are after a similar environment/water view. and hence thinking about Marina. Any other recommendations of places equally chic? 175-180K budget - 2 bedroom apt. Downtown, JLT, Palm?

Thanks.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Marina - is it nice to live there?

I would rather staple my eye lids to my scrotum than live in the marina.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Darren of Arabia is an unknown quantity at this point

Where is recommended as I am also possibly moving to Dubai would be working sheikh zagged road where is recommended?
Old Jul 16th 2015, 4:51 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Darren of Arabia
Where is recommended as I am also possibly moving to Dubai would be working sheikh zagged road where is recommended?
Where on SZR would be helpful, its a long road...
Old Jul 16th 2015, 4:54 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VHB
Hey there,

I'll be relocating to Dubai with the Mrs (no kids) this October; considering Marina for accommodation. will be working out of internet city; Mrs will probably end up working at DIFC, still looking.

Have read about the traffic situation, since the advent of tram. can someone give an insight into the real deal?

Currently, we live in Canary Wharf, London; we are after a similar environment/water view. and hence thinking about Marina. Any other recommendations of places equally shit? 175-180K budget - 2 bedroom apt. Downtown, JLT, Palm?

Thanks.
I've corrected that for you....
Old Jul 16th 2015, 5:34 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VHB
Hey there,

Currently, we live in Canary Wharf, London; we are after a similar environment/water view. and hence thinking about Marina. Any other recommendations of places equally chic? 175-180K budget - 2 bedroom apt. Downtown, JLT, Palm?

Thanks.
I work in DIC and live on The Palm, you'll get a Shoreline 2 bed apartment within that budget. Maximum 10 minutes drive to DIC, 15dh in a taxi.
There is more development going on here, currently 5 beach clubs (one of them, Riva, you need to pay for), quite a few mini-marts, and a bar/restaurant in each beach club.
Personally I'd never go for The Marina, traffic is awful.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

i've lived the past 8 years in the Marina (bar 1 year of that which was in jlt) and i absolutely love it.....i'd probably avoid JBR, but the Marina side is perfectly fine traffic wise.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 11:52 pm
VHB
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I would rather staple my eye lids to my scrotum than live in the marina.
And why is that? if you could share the reasons, that'd really help. thx.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 11:56 pm
VHB
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mission
i've lived the past 8 years in the Marina (bar 1 year of that which was in jlt) and i absolutely love it.....i'd probably avoid JBR, but the Marina side is perfectly fine traffic wise.
any recommendations for the towers (marina side)? thx.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 12:14 am
VHB
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
I've corrected that for you....
would you care to elaborate as to why is it shit? thx.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VHB
And why is that? if you could share the reasons, that'd really help. thx.
Other than the fetish side, I find the marina far from anywhere, dreadful traffic, souless and all the towers are too packed in. All newbies want to go to the marina, but the truth is it is not as great as it first looks. I'd take JLT over the marina if I was forced.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 5:54 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by VHB
would you care to elaborate as to why is it shit? thx.
See below.....

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Other than the fetish side, I find the marina far from anywhere, dreadful traffic, souless and all the towers are too packed in. All newbies want to go to the marina, but the truth is it is not as great as it first looks. I'd take JLT over the marina if I was forced.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine that all those critisizing the MARINA complex have never lived in a Marina. That is the difference. I always want a marina view (having lived aboard cruising for 10 years) and if not possible for a Marina view then a very good sea view of ships and yachts at sea.

I might be wrong about the bad comments though?
Old Jul 19th 2015, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

mdm26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Marina is fine! Ok, the JBR side is often a nightmare but if you stick to the Marina side by SZR you wont have a problem. Having lived in London as well you wont find the traffic an issue here at all, only if you decide to live in JBR and have to drive.

(FYI - I live in Dubai Marina, SZR side and have never had issues with traffic...)
Old Jul 20th 2015, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VHB
any recommendations for the towers (marina side)? thx.

sure - you could try the following:

Opal Tower
Cayan/Infinity Tower
Orra Marina
Jewels
Dorra Bay
Park Island - 3 towers (although some of the 1 bed units are a little small, but you get some great views of the marina)
Marina Promenade - 3 towers
Elite Residence
Ocean Heights

the above builds are some of the premium buildings in the marina and so the units will be more than some of the other buildings in the marina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.