Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai GEMS Schools vs UK Private Schools Study

Dubai GEMS Schools vs UK Private Schools Study

Old Aug 23rd 2015, 8:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Dubai GEMS Schools vs UK Private Schools Study

Originally Posted by Millhouse
In PE?! what are the kids eating here to reach that level of physical development.

I find it all of this very interesting - I've known many kids here who did well here to only find themselves very much mid-placed in the UK ... often with significant gaps.

Mini-millhouse was top in maths here - a position that he has held in the UK but that's mostly because I value it so highly and a lot of effort is done at home to push him and make it fun. I think the UK school has brought him on a lot more (due to competition with other kids) that what happened in Dubai.

Of course - let's not forget that the only education that really matters occurs pretty much in the later school and university (or post university) years.
Less on the physical front in terms of distances or speeds I think, more on their ability to understand it, learn the technique and do it. I used to have weekly swimming lessons in the UK when I was at the comprehensive, but only in year 3 and 5. But they definitely helped. Kids here obviously have loads of swimming lessons.

The teams and clubs etc are ridiculous too. You were pretty special in the UK if you were decent at more than a couple of standard sports. Kids she teaches here are pretty good at numerous things.

Don't worry - there's plenty of ham-fisted idiots she deals with, but generally she reckons the kids are genuinely a long way ahead of counterparts in UK.

That's exactly the right balance in my opinion too - pity I failed the exams for the grammar - maybe then I wouldn't have been drinking Special K at a bus stop on a winter Friday night when I was 14. We'd have found somewhere warm.

of course it is a bit like the "without war you cannot have peace" argument - without some shitter school to house the masses you can't have Grammars.

ah, it was a joke that I immediately regretted posting - it looked so much harsher in written form

Very true that. One can't exist without the other.

Failing the grammar test hardly hurt you, don't forget I know where you went to Uni and you're right - that matters more.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 10:15 am
Just Joined

ShahUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to every one for giving feedback, hopefully it will help us in making some sort of a decision.
Thx

I think the test should be against an average UK school.

The schools here so ok as the kids are from a good intake. Almost all parents have degrees, have money and have time to support the kids. Yet the schools churn out results similar to a good UK mixed intake comprehensive.

Don't confuse facilities with education. The schools here are staffed with young teachers going a job rather than crusty grumpy ones trying to make a career.

Of course - UK private schools also mean that your children are excluded from mixing with a demographic of people that make up most of the country.

I do love an education debate.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Ethos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant future

You'll be sorry. Passing up the opportunity to turn mini Mill into the spitting image of Ethos?

But more importantly, have the Millhouses moved back to the UK? The golden dreams of Dubai ending up in the rubbish as it ultimately does for most? Back to a cramped semi on a new build Barratt estate and broken down commuter trains to London?

Fair enough - hence my "good intake" argument. Kids in schools here are somewhat privileged yet their results are not overly different. There is a lack of competition in schools here - partly as a result of a comfortable life.

I recently made the decision between a UK comprehensive, and a UK private school. Both schools were nice and friendly, one had 30 kids in a class, the other 7. I still opted for the comprehensive as the smaller private school would mean that my child would only be socializing with the children of doctors and overly aspirational engineers. In life, which is what school is suppose to be preparing people for, he will have to deal with builders, people from under-privileged areas, people with different outlooks on life - I wanted to prepare him for that.

Of course, we still invest heavily in more formal education but what you learn in the playground is very important too. He can't go through life not knowing how to cook heroine on a spoon.

Last edited by Ethos82; Aug 23rd 2015 at 3:46 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos82
You'll be sorry. Passing up the opportunity to turn mini Mill into the spitting image of Ethos?

But more importantly, have the Millhouses moved back to the UK? The golden dreams of Dubai ending up in the rubbish as it ultimately does for most? Back to a cramped semi on a new build Barratt estate and broken down commuter trains to London?
Far from it. Life is very good.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 5:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The golden dreams of Dubai ending up in the rubbish as it ultimately does for most? Back to a cramped semi on a new build Barratt estate and broken down commuter trains to London?
Talking from experience Ethos?

Can you do me a favour and run this miserable image by my Mrs? She's come back from a month in UK and is intent on making us move home 'soon'.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

Can you do me a favour and run this miserable image by my Mrs? She's come back from a month in UK and is intent on making us move home 'soon'.
Spend a week or two there in February - no thanks.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 6:26 am
Account Closed

Spend a week or two there in February - no thanks.
Don't worry. It's just the usual post-UK trip misery. I feel for her, she genuinely misses home and family etc a lot. I just don't, or am a master at subduing those feelings of missing a cuddle from Mummy or Daddy. I don't get on brilliantly with any of my sisters and rarely used to see my Granny and barely have any friends back home, so really don't mind.

Case in point - my sister is going to Bahrain for a week next week to work. 'Couldn't' change her return flight to a few days later to either come here to see me or me go there for weekend because 'she's got a busy weekend'. Siblings eh.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Ethos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant future

So you have moved back? Glad it all worked out. Miss expatdom?

Far from it. Life is very good.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Make more money in UK, go back.

Make more money in Dubai, stay there.

But being married I can confirm that if your wife wants to go back, you're going back at some point.

Old Aug 24th 2015, 6:32 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

My family are likely heading back next summer. My plan is to stay for a couple years after that, but going back straight away to contract is definitely an option. Based on my back of fag packet estimates I can actually earn the same or even more money in UK than here and job security is about the same. End of the day it comes down to money ;-)

We have looked at a huge number of houses over the last few months and I have to say they are dainty. Not unusual that a 4 bedroom semi is under 1400 sqft. I am not looking forward to the first few months in that but you do get used to it and as long as you make sure you have a proper living space and not a galley kitchen (wtf?) then it's doable in my opinion.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So you have moved back? Glad it all worked out. Miss expatdom?
I don't miss it at all. I didn't go back.

Life in a cold house, getting up at 6am for a freezing cold wait at the train station in drizzle to board a commuter train to the city doesn't appeal anymore.

All that said, I go back around once a month and I do like a trip to ASDA on a Saturday - Most of the UK now looks like there has been a zombie apocalypse.

There are many absolutely suburb things about the UK - Living there isn't one of them. Leaving the UK has always been my plan, even from a fairly young age. The Middle East probably won't be the final place, but I doubt the UK will either.

Last edited by Millhouse; Aug 24th 2015 at 7:29 am.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 8:21 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry. It's just the usual post-UK trip misery. I feel for her, she genuinely misses home and family etc a lot.
I've had the same.. but pointed out that we were back for four weeks, the weather was good and all family/friends make effort to spend time with us as it is an annual trip. That made it a great holiday.

Moving back full time is very different, and holds no appeal to me.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 11:17 am
Account Closed

Make more money in UK, go back.

Make more money in Dubai, stay there.

But being married I can confirm that if your wife wants to go back, you're going back at some point.
Oh I know we'll go back at some point, unless I can convince her to go somewhere else like the USofA
Old Aug 24th 2015, 11:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I've had the same.. but pointed out that we were back for four weeks, the weather was good and all family/friends make effort to spend time with us as it is an annual trip. That made it a great holiday.

Moving back full time is very different, and holds no appeal to me.
Yep, that's what it is. She sort of knows it too, but coming back here and dealing with all the usual spastics that this city employs isn't a pleasant return. She also needs reminding that here is home, it's where we work and eat and sleep and have to pay bills and cook meals and do the daily grind. THe UK is now holiday, it's pub gardens, hotels, hire cars, dinners out, beers, no work etc.

It's really hard to remind her that the UK is how Millhouse describes - it's all the same grind as here but in a shitter apartment, with no view, with a shit car, expensive petrol, terrible commute, miserable weather and much less disposable income....oh and shitter holidays.