Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

DUBAI driving licence (UK paper copy only)

DUBAI driving licence (UK paper copy only)

Old Apr 2nd 2013, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Jag21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation DUBAI driving licence (UK paper copy only)

Hi - I am moving to Dubai this month and have got my valid 1993 UK paper licence (don't have a photo one). Can anyone confirm that exchanging my paper copy for the UAE driving licence will be ok and I don't have to get a photo UK licence (I'm trying to keep hold of just the paper version)

Thanks
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DUBAI driving licence (UK paper copy only)

Originally Posted by Jag21
Hi - I am moving to Dubai this month and have got my valid 1993 UK paper licence (don't have a photo one). Can anyone confirm that exchanging my paper copy for the UAE driving licence will be ok and I don't have to get a photo UK licence (I'm trying to keep hold of just the paper version)

Thanks
it should be fine.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks

Thanks for your help
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 4:38 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Did that 4 years ago, no probs.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just say, in case I'm not actually there when you walk up to the counter at the traffic police and they telly you to get a real licence: mwap mwap mwaaa-aap!
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Guys - I was told that I needed to get the UK photo licence and they would not accept the old syle paper copy, but if you've had no problems with that, I will just try it and hopefully can forget about having to apply to get my photo licence.

Thanks
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Guys - I was told that I needed to get the UK photo licence and they would not accept the old syle paper copy, but if you've had no problems with that, I will just try it and hopefully can forget about having to apply to get my photo licence.
Thanks
For goodness sake, get the new style UK driving licence while you have the chance. It will make your life so much easier in the long run. I wish I had one instead of a crumpled piece of illegible paper issued 40 years ago.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 6:20 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mentalist
For goodness sake, get the new style UK driving licence while you have the chance. It will make your life so much easier in the long run. I wish I had one instead of a crumpled piece of illegible paper issued 40 years ago.
You're showing your age now mental...
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mentalist
It's the principle of being subject to fines if you don't update your photo every ten years, whereas with the old licence it's good for many years to come!
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the principle of being subject to fines if you don't update your photo every ten years, whereas with the old licence it's good for many years to come!
if you are not resident then you cannot use your uk licence anyways back in the uk on hols, and when you go back to becoming resident again you just inform dvla and they will reissue your licence with no penalty, as you cannot put a foreign address on your uk licence when you dont live there.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I used my old style paper one last August - no problems at all.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 1:04 pm

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

They can update your d/l photo from your passport application if you give your consent. As long as one of them is less than 10 years old its not a major hassle...
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Welivehere
They can update your d/l photo from your passport application if you give your consent. As long as one of them is less than 10 years old its not a major hassle...
the passport has to be under 5 years old.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB
I used my old style paper one last August - no problems at all.
That's great - hopefully no hassles then using the classic version when I arrive.

Cheers for everyones help, it's much appreciated
Old Apr 4th 2013, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Paper driving licenses are being phased out in 2015, so you'd need to get a new one anyhow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20968886

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.