Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:19 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Originally Posted by garygnu
Been in the UAE joint for unsettled personal loans served 23days for 1 case of 60K aed, and another 23days for another 60k aed, both local banks. News is, credit cards are coverd with insurance, no point reporting to Interpol considering fees they have to pay at Dubai Court, same is true with collection agents in mother country, that is if the loan amount is less that 50K. These info is from the joint.

Cnt go back to UAE though, was deported coz of Absconding case filed by sponsor due to 46 days n d joint, now am home but i still have 3 CC left n uae. No case was filed at the time of departure. So Forced to skip not by choice. Maybe they have filed by now. Not sure yet/

Now, I have a job offer in Qatar, managed to get new paspport as well, just worried if GCC coordination includes transfer of information among UAE banks and Qatar airport immigration officials. Is there any link?, there are sovereign juridiction concerns I think. This is tricky, information could appear in the system. Could this be possible?, d u hv info.
Why don't you in the interim set up DD's from an account where you are and make bona fides payments to the issuing CC companies.....
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

oscarwilde is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by docmood
if it's less than AED 100,000 then don't even worry about it. If and when you do come back you'll probably find it written off or brushed under the carpet coz a LOT fo people are doing this, particularly those who have car loans and are leaving the cars at the airport.

If it's more then you have to weigh up whether it's worth your while. An american acquaintance of mine skipped because he lost his job and life here and had nothing to go back to. He took as much credit as he could and left the country so that he could at least live for a few weeks back in the US while looking for a job.

I doubt you'd get jailed in the current environment unless you were stupid about it.

If you wanted to come back at some point in the future, get a new passport(renewed, lost etc)
Any idea about debt with international companies? What about all those who abandoned cars at the airport - can Hertz (obviously international) chase in the UK for debts left in the UAE? Someone mentioned HSBC too - obviously an international bank, but it seems totally separate in UAE to the other global offices - can they chase through other countries?

Any one any ideas?
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 7:55 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oscarwilde
Any idea about debt with international companies? What about all those who abandoned cars at the airport - can Hertz (obviously international) chase in the UK for debts left in the UAE? Someone mentioned HSBC too - obviously an international bank, but it seems totally separate in UAE to the other global offices - can they chase through other countries?

Any one any ideas?
a fitting name

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." oscar wilde
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 6:00 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oscarwilde

Any one any ideas?
HSBC can, not sure about Hertz but I would guess so.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bimcnorth
Eventually the debt might be sold to a debt collecting company that might contact you and take legal action against you...depends on the sums involved really.
Where did this guy disappear to???
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:30 pm
Banned

Moun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really nice

Hey, I posted another query along these same lines. In the GCC, is it considered a criminal offence to leave debts? If you leave a debt and you are checked for criminal records/police checked by another country would it show up as such?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Zohan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marty&vonnie
Thanks squirty cream I understand what you say about all eu countries but I just want to make sure. Read a few threads on here that say yeah you can move and no you cant.
I will do the court thing might actually go to the embassy here see if they can find out for me really dont want to risk jail!
Hey there, Im the same, need to know either way. been offered a brill job in Qatar but have debts in Dubai ;0/

Leme know how ya get on, thanks
Old Jul 27th 2009, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
Where did this guy disappear to???
wasnt he an adviser....
Old Jul 28th 2009, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

just worried if GCC coordination includes transfer of information among UAE banks and Qatar airport immigration officials. Is there any link?
Confirm NO link, don't worry
Old Jul 28th 2009, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Zohan
Hey there, Im the same, need to know either way. been offered a brill job in Qatar but have debts in Dubai ;0/

Leme know how ya get on, thanks
im not advocating skipping debts but i did it in dubai as many on here know. I have been back tons of times since and never had a problem.

i would suggest however setting out a payment plan with the bank. keeps you sorted no matter. however, HSBC can whistle for the way they treated me!!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

garygnu is an unknown quantity at this point

You seem to have info bout this, how bout this, a flight would layover in Abu Dhabi for 2 hours on the way to Qatar from UK, u hve news to this, any info I should know bout? Tnx ahead.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

You seem to have info bout this, how bout this, a flight would layover in Abu Dhabi for 2 hours on the way to Qatar from UK, u hve news to this, any info I should know bout? Tnx ahead.
Haven't you sorted this out yet? Your only other post was six months ago!

By the way, did you tell your new employer in Qatar that you have a criminal record? If they find that out, the debts will be irrelevant............. you'll be in big trubb.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you fly direct from Qatar? I fly from Abu Dhabi via Qatar to London because it is cheaper than Etihad and lands on the fairer side of the city.

You'd probably be OK as you are only in transit and not through customs but then again!!
Old Feb 5th 2010, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

daexpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dubai debt skips - INformation Sharing in the GCC

Hello all,

I just wanted to add my 2 cents regarding the information sharing within GCC.

Only the new emirates ID database is shared with all the GCC states. So if you have unpaid debts in the UAE and no Emirates ID, then you are good to go to any of the other GCC states.

I know this for a fact, coz I am the same boat and after verifying it clearly with some of my good local mates in DXB who is working with both the Immig. dept and DXB police, I skipped to Qatar. I had close to 300K AED debt from multiple banks. 150 in loans and rest as ccards. I am not very happy with my actions and I have already spoken to the banks with the loan and have worked out a payment plan through a friend who represented me.

However, I have 2nd thoughts about the credit-cards, as they were insured.

Last edited by daexpat; Feb 5th 2010 at 7:40 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Good news on the car abandonment front..............

http://business.maktoob.com/20090000...op/Article.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.