Reload this Page >

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:40 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Jail until Standard chartered got their s#it together and told the police there was no case
Blimey, and you wanted to go back to live in Dubai?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:55 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Blimey, and you wanted to go back to live in Dubai?
Yup, I paid $20,000 to fly back here....

You live and learn....
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:37 am
Just Joined

docmood is on a distinguished road

if it's less than AED 100,000 then don't even worry about it. If and when you do come back you'll probably find it written off or brushed under the carpet coz a LOT fo people are doing this, particularly those who have car loans and are leaving the cars at the airport.

If it's more then you have to weigh up whether it's worth your while. An american acquaintance of mine skipped because he lost his job and life here and had nothing to go back to. He took as much credit as he could and left the country so that he could at least live for a few weeks back in the US while looking for a job.

I doubt you'd get jailed in the current environment unless you were stupid about it.

If you wanted to come back at some point in the future, get a new passport(renewed, lost etc)
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:41 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by docmood
if it's less than AED 100,000 then don't even worry about it. If and when you do come back you'll probably find it written off or brushed under the carpet coz a LOT fo people are doing this, particularly those who have car loans and are leaving the cars at the airport.

If it's more then you have to weigh up whether it's worth your while. An american acquaintance of mine skipped because he lost his job and life here and had nothing to go back to. He took as much credit as he could and left the country so that he could at least live for a few weeks back in the US while looking for a job.

I doubt you'd get jailed in the current environment unless you were stupid about it.

If you wanted to come back at some point in the future, get a new passport(renewed, lost etc)

The "new passport" routine does not work...............FACT
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:50 am
Just Joined

docmood is on a distinguished road

The "new passport" routine does not work...............FACT
Hmmm, well that American friend of mine has been back twice for a visit on a renewed passport after a year.

Maybe they just forgot about it then.

BTW I'm not advocating doing a runner as you will always be looking over your shoulder but was just pointing out that if you have to look out for yourself as no one else will...particularly in Dubai
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

mantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nice

7 hours until Standard Chartered could be bothered to tell the cops that i did indeed pay off all my debts weeks before i flew in.
Christ thats disgusting.

Ive always been intrigued by how so many people from the first world turn into Dubai Uncle Toms. And aside from wanting to have sex with you, Im intrigued by how someone like you still persists with the pricks over there.

Particularly after having been screwed over in this way, and then the nonsense with your wife (and to be clear - Im not making light of that - its the exact dubai centric arrogant attitude of employers that is one of many reasons why I hate the place with a passion).

Is it really that gratifying for you and the others on this board to be given honorary "house *****" status over there. Has "home" been that bad to you?

Or is it a more serious west hating thing, like Australias 5 foot tall "Jihad Jack" that was so angry at his rejection and ridicule here at home that he joined the Taliban and fought against Aus and the US in Afghanistan.

Or is there some other reason for the Dubai defence and advocacy (that I missed out on when I got rejected by a desperate desert exiled employer ... the one that organised a home for me in "Discover Gardens" which looked worse than a labour camp)?

Serious question.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Feb 23rd 2009 at 9:00 am. Reason: offensive word removed
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:24 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

An american acquaintance of mine skipped because he lost his job and life here and had nothing to go back to. He took as much credit as he could and left the country ... I doubt you'd get jailed in the current environment unless you were stupid about it.
That sounds like somewhat of a contradiction in terms. Your American acquaintance appears to have been rather stupid about it (ie. taking as much credit as he could) and yet didn't get jailed.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:35 am
Up in the air

Originally Posted by mantronic
Christ thats disgusting.

Ive always been intrigued by how so many people from the first world turn into Dubai Uncle Toms. And aside from wanting to have sex with you, Im intrigued by how someone like you still persists with the pricks over there.

Particularly after having been screwed over in this way, and then the nonsense with your wife (and to be clear - Im not making light of that - its the exact dubai centric arrogant attitude of employers that is one of many reasons why I hate the place with a passion).

Is it really that gratifying for you and the others on this board to be given honorary "house nigger" status over there. Has "home" been that bad to you?

Or is it a more serious west hating thing, like Australias 5 foot tall "Jihad Jack" that was so angry at his rejection and ridicule here at home that he joined the Taliban and fought against Aus and the US in Afghanistan.

Or is there some other reason for the Dubai defence and advocacy (that I missed out on when I got rejected by a desperate desert exiled employer ... the one that organised a home for me in "Discover Gardens" which looked worse than a labour camp)?

Serious question.
Mantronic,
I persist/persisted over here, because a few years back i genuinely liked it here. I had many friends and work was good. I enjoyed the "can-do" risk taking attitude.
One thing to remember, i knew the law when i moved here, and i knew that i had broken it, so i cant really complain too much. My biggest greivance was that SC took so long to sort out their admin.

One thing many people forget, is that "this ain't Kansas Toto"....different rules apply and i accept that.

Home has not been bad to me in the least, however i have more issues with the UK's politics and policies than i do with Dubai's...so it's the lesser of two evils.

Your posts always seem to go on about Dubai's failings, the thing is, most of us know all that is wrong with this place....and we accept it.

Anyway, we plan on leaving here when it is convenient to head off to Australia.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

mantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nice

Mantronic,
I persist/persisted over here, because a few years back i genuinely liked it here. I had many friends and work was good. I enjoyed the "can-do" risk taking attitude.
One thing to remember, i knew the law when i moved here, and i knew that i had broken it, so i cant really complain too much. My biggest greivance was that SC took so long to sort out their admin.

One thing many people forget, is that "this ain't Kansas Toto"....different rules apply and i accept that.

Home has not been bad to me in the least, however i have more issues with the UK's politics and policies than i do with Dubai's...so it's the lesser of two evils.

Your posts always seem to go on about Dubai's failings, the thing is, most of us know all that is wrong with this place....and we accept it.

Anyway, we plan on leaving here when it is convenient to head off to Australia.

Except you dont seem to have broken the law .. and I dont see why people need to accept that crap in this day and age

Seriously all internet hate aside the sacking your wife sounds like a low act - I hope they cough up some serious cash to tide you over,

Im sure you will love aus even if you end up a few bucks behind esp with kids. And it will give me a chance to stroke your lats.

No bs the sooner you move the better IMO - we havent had a quarter of neg growth yet so you might find work before the recession (if not depression) sets in.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Handsome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I've already done that....

My husband's Dutch and has been reading (Dutch) news about (Dutch) expats also skipping debt and flying home. Certainly not an issue confined to the British.

handsome - what part of the US do you come from?
good for you
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

how do you know for a FACT they wont come after you...... Im sick of people posting on here if its less than 150,000 or 100,000 or 50,000 then you will be fine - you dont know that and people shouldnt take it as truth!

No one knows if or when they will come after you regardless of the amount of debt...
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:52 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Handsome
good for you
There's a city called "Truth Or Consequences" in New Mexico, but I haven't found a "Good For You" in the US.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
how do you know for a FACT they wont come after you...... Im sick of people posting on here if its less than 150,000 or 100,000 or 50,000 then you will be fine - you dont know that and people shouldnt take it as truth!

No one knows if or when they will come after you regardless of the amount of debt...
All i know is that i had debt (not too high) and came back on the same passport several times - no hassle and I had defaulted by then. I now have a 2nd passport and use either to come into the UAE
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Smacked is an unknown quantity at this point

Stuble

How much was your debt then, I am sure everybody on this thread is wondering and wants to know.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Smacked is an unknown quantity at this point

Stublue

And also you may be did not provide the security cheque, so nothing to bounce hence no reason to file a report from the bank's point of view.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.