Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

lofty1 has a spectacular aura aboutlofty1 has a spectacular aura aboutlofty1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Hi All

I know this is a hot topic at the moment. I am interested in only facts (not opinions) about what fate may await those individuals who choose to skip leaving credit card and personal loan debt??

I accept that coming back to the UAE / GCC would be unwise but what about the likely hood and jurisdiction of any actions to recover money from people back in the UK?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Originally Posted by lofty1
Hi All

I know this is a hot topic at the moment. I am interested in only facts (not opinions) about what fate may await those individuals who choose to skip leaving credit card and personal loan debt??

I accept that coming back to the UAE / GCC would be unwise but what about the likely hood and jurisdiction of any actions to recover money from people back in the UK?
Eventually the debt might be sold to a debt collecting company that might contact you and take legal action against you...depends on the sums involved really.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Why not write directly to the Dubai Municipality and find out? Otherwise I suggest you rely on considered opinions because facts will be hard to get from here.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Unless someone personally experienced it you wont get facts, you will get i know someone who knows someone...

i would say skip if its a last resort or you really dont give a flying shit.

If you are a worrier then try and sort it out before leaving, it will follow you and you will always be what if....
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:00 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
Unless someone personally experienced it you wont get facts, you will get i know someone who knows someone...

i would say skip if its a last resort or you really dont give a flying shit.

If you are a worrier then try and sort it out before leaving, it will follow you and you will always be what if....
This have been covered on another thread.
Been there, done it.....

they wont chase abroad as the costs for recovery make it not worth while
Unless it's more than a few 100,000dhs i would not worry
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

evickage is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I dont want to skip. I have a gf who works here and I have been made redundant but have a new job in Qatar. I have a 60000 dh loan and a week of work left. To my horror my accounts been frozen today and I am now 66000 dh overdrawn. Work have told all banks about the people who have been made redundant. So I presume I will have a travel ban.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
This have been covered on another thread.
Been there, done it.....

they wont chase abroad as the costs for recovery make it not worth while
Unless it's more than a few 100,000dhs i would not worry
Wasn't yours a few years ago?

God knows what is going happen, if they do if they dont, just sort it when it happens, at least here we are safe and no facing jail!!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:18 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
Wasn't yours a few years ago?

God knows what is going happen, if they do if they dont, just sort it when it happens, at least here we are safe and no facing jail!!
Yes it was, I was stitched up by trying to resolve the issue with the bank.
I was proactive, went to the bank, arranged payment terms and even left my car with them for security.

Basically I had to fly back to the UK.. I left my car with the bank, and said I would commence payments once back in the UK...2 weeks later they had sold my 180,000 car for 88,000 at auction and wanted the difference.

I paid the difference and flew back to dubai.....still got arrested because Standard Chartered didnt update the police that the case was closed.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

evickage is an unknown quantity at this point

Did they jail you or did you get it resolved pretty quick? I am hoping they will let me pay my loan from Qatar. Anyone had any experience of changing jobs in the GCC?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:09 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by evickage
Did they jail you or did you get it resolved pretty quick? I am hoping they will let me pay my loan from Qatar. Anyone had any experience of changing jobs in the GCC?
Jail until Standard chartered got their s#it together and told the police there was no case
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Handsome is an unknown quantity at this point

Jail until Standard chartered got their s#it together and told the police there was no case
How long did you stay in jail? What were your thoughts during that time? Please share if you can.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:07 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by Handsome
How long did you stay in jail? What were your thoughts during that time? Please share if you can.
7 hours until Standard Chartered could be bothered to tell the cops that i did indeed pay off all my debts weeks before i flew in.

My thoughts during that time in jail?

"What a cheap alternative to renting a room in a villa!"

"I wonder if they do a brunch here on Fridays?"

"Do they have Orbit or Showtime??"

"We drove through Salik on the way to jail....will they invoice me???"

Sorry my friend, but its a stupid question.
The only thing you worry about is how long they are going to keep you,
how to let someone know your in there, and the best strategy to stop you getting arse-raped by a 6'4 fat turkish dude with a penchant for young men.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:20 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

7 hours until Standard Chartered could be bothered to tell the cops that i did indeed pay off all my debts weeks before i flew in.

My thoughts during that time in jail?

"What a cheap alternative to renting a room in a villa!"

"I wonder if they do a brunch here on Fridays?"

"Do they have Orbit or Showtime??"

"We drove through Salik on the way to jail....will they invoice me???"

Sorry my friend, but its a stupid question.
The only thing you worry about is how long they are going to keep you,
how to let someone know your in there, and the best strategy to stop you getting arse-raped by a 6'4 fat turkish dude with a penchant for young men.

Did you forget 'Does Waxy's Deliver?'
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:20 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Handsome
is this for your article again?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

Handsome is an unknown quantity at this point

no..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.