Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai compared to South Africa ??

Dubai compared to South Africa ??

Old Jun 28th 2003, 3:40 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Question Dubai compared to South Africa ??

Greetings to everyone,

We are currently situated in South Africa. We have decided that it is time to get out of here and are looking at the various options / countries for consideration

I am from Scotland originally & have lived in Johannesburg since 1980 so I basically see SA as my home. I married S.A. lass eight years ago & we have very recently been blessed with the birth of our son, Gabriel.

We are very concerned about the future here in SA. The rising crime (which we have experienced) and the bubbling racial tension here makes for a very unsettled vibe. Of course the other factor is the affirmative action & black empowerment programmes, which is putting a tight, squeeze on white males in particular.

I have a brother that immigrated & settled in Canada (BC) in the early eighties. He has been trying to convince us for a long time now that we should consider Canada as a country with a future for us. We have started doing some research and are trying to gather information on the various options for immigration and have found forums like this one of great help & the members very helpful & informative.

Most important is that we are trying to make contact with folk in Dubai and if possible folk that have lived in SA & get some feedback regarding the whole acclimatisation from SA to Dubai has gone for them.

We would also like to get some feedback as to the job situation over there. I come from an IT background and was retrenched in 2001. I spent three months here chasing the local job market & decided to start my own company after getting turned down on most occasions due to AA & BE regulations.

Both my wife & I have our own small companies; I have started a music production company focusing on corporate productions as well as the music creation side of the business. My wife runs her own beauty salon offering massage, waxing, nail treatments & the likes.

We would love to hear from people that have moved to Dubai & get some feedback on issues like the cost of living, schooling, weather, adapting to the culture there and other things.

We hope that we can make contact!

Best regards to you all

Campbell.