Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai becoming a victim of its own success!

View Poll Results: do u agree that dubai should slow down?
yes
36.36%
no
9.09%
i dont know
0%
maybe
0%
it should not, strike it while the iron is hot
0%
it should, too much isnt good.
0%
i really dont know, make hay while the sun sunshines.
9.09%
the weather is already too hot, so take it easy on economy.
0%
All things, no matter how good, come to an end. So YES slow down.
18.18%
I am here to make money, so NO dont slow down.
27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Dubai becoming a victim of its own success!

Old Nov 20th 2005, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

creative is a jewel in the roughcreative is a jewel in the roughcreative is a jewel in the roughcreative is a jewel in the roughcreative is a jewel in the rough
Default Dubai becoming a victim of its own success!

the silent rumor that dubai becoming a victim of its own success is very true as many things are pointing that out. Please note, this is my own personal analyzation, feel free to disagree with it.

dubai was nothing 30 years ago, today it has become everything a city or nation dreams of.

dubai has marketed itself as a haven. I love the marketing dubai has done, really good, no doubt about it.

I repeat, dubai has marketed itself as a haven. I love the marketing dubai has done, really good, no doubt about it

A haven to save on taxes of all sorts but in this haven called dubai, you have to bear other headaches to save your taxes, which we would be paying in UK or elsewhere in the world.

if you are pious, then life in dubai is just like in london, crammed with everything! No serenity. if you are a nightlife person, you have endless nightclubs [all same garbage] to enjoy with all the babes [married n single] and all the booze you need.

then if you are a pro, you will be at work almost all the time as dubai cant sleep and moves on 24 hrs a day.

if you hate driving, hate crowds, hate attention, hate dubai's commercialization, hate using the cellphone like drinking water and hate all the noise outside your house............then dubai is not the place for you.

can you afford dubai? The cost of living in increasing by 15% every year, inflation is at 25%[govt says 5%], petty crimes are increasing, housing, water and electricity is in real shortage. not to mention parking and roads!!! birth rate is at 8%, population has crossed a million for dubai, 5 million for UAE, and tourist populace is at 5.5 million.

salary increase? HARDLY!!!!!!!!!!! even if it did, doesnt match the inflation. cost of living is so high, that after spending on basics, people dont have enough left to spend in retail stores, thus dubai is facing a retail recession, born out of dubai's success.

where is all the money going? Buying loyalty. Then Dubai is busy buying the rest of the world. It is financing literally everything. The debt burden [along with the populace] is multiplying and now it is said it approx. stands at US$25 billion.

1 million people are on visit visas seeking jobs, most of them Indians and every job adv attracts 2000 CVs. most of the CVs dont relate to the job, resulting in a huge decline of human resources quality. finding the right people is a nightmare, just like the traffic and parking is. if the right person is found, a decent package is difficult to find.

since house rents are rising [owing to shortage of housing] as govt wants freehold properties to solve the housing problem. Companies are either refusing to pay the employees house rents or are "now exiting from dubai". Y? it has become very difficult for companies to measure their cost of business, as cost in dubai just shoots up unexpectedly every year with no legal respite!!! So relocate to Doha, Qatar.

Even freehold properties and their owners are feeling the pinch as a real shortage in labour [blue collar] supply has forced delays in constructions!!! "Even the Palm Island III is put off by five years!!!

So who is making money in dubai? Simple, the govt and the natives. the expats [most of them] seem to have now become "THE DISPOSABLE NAPKIN" or the gillette razor!

solutions? govt is working on them. they are all long term. dont expect any solution before 2010 coz there wont be any. no matter what the govt does, it is inadequate.

new roads, bridges, buildings etc etc are not enough as all types of population are multiplying. 100,000 people, 144000 cars, less housing, less utilities, and no pay rises, so UAE and dubai which have a 5 million populace produce a waste of a 25 million populace.

CONGRATULATIONS, we have a birth of a new industry. which one? Recycling! Any jobs available? NO.

Y? its all automated, just like Emirates Airline, which operates on a skeleton staff to run the entire automated system everywhere. EK fired many two years ago by terminating contracts silently [it can as its a govt company] and now needs young, sexy and stimulating female cabin staff, to make sure passengers keep coming back.

best regards,
Old Nov 21st 2005, 2:49 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai becoming a victim of its own success!

I'll take issue with you on the EK thing, yes we do run most of our internal procedures on Oracle and Remedy applications. The IT team customised standard Oracle Financials to work in an airline environment which is completely different to the financials of say Banks or manufacturing industries. It is so succesfull that we have now sold the same to many major carriers, BA, Singapore, Air NZ, Virgin - should I go on? And please, the pretty girl thing, come off it.

With regard to your other points, why do you see it so important to knock the fantastic success that Dubai has been enjoying, with all fast growing industries there will always be a struggle to install the infrastructure to keep pace with the growth, at least the Dubai Government is actually trying to do this.

I actually like the way the Authority works, for example, it was noted about 8 months ago that the Beach Road was nearing full capacity, that traffic was grinding to a halt. So in the UK we'd have gone through 10 years of public enquiries at god know's what cost, 17 different plans and still the traffic would have got worse. In Dubai, the head of the department simply authorised the building of an extra lane in both directions and it'll be finished within the next 2 months. Simple.

On this board I can only think of 2 or maybe 3 (depends on what mood *** is in) detractors of Dubai. None of us (who weren't born here) are planning to be here for the next 10 years, so we enjoy the life experience we have here. I certainly wont be going back to the UK in a hurry, chavs, hoodies, asbo's, a huge drug and alcohol problem etc.

Guys, enjoy what we have here, we all know it can be very frustrating, but just think about the positives.

I for one aint going anywhere.

M
Old Nov 21st 2005, 5:06 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
I'll take issue with you on the EK thing, yes we do run most of our internal procedures on Oracle and Remedy applications. The IT team customised standard Oracle Financials to work in an airline environment which is completely different to the financials of say Banks or manufacturing industries. It is so succesfull that we have now sold the same to many major carriers, BA, Singapore, Air NZ, Virgin - should I go on? And please, the pretty girl thing, come off it.

With regard to your other points, why do you see it so important to knock the fantastic success that Dubai has been enjoying, with all fast growing industries there will always be a struggle to install the infrastructure to keep pace with the growth, at least the Dubai Government is actually trying to do this.

I actually like the way the Authority works, for example, it was noted about 8 months ago that the Beach Road was nearing full capacity, that traffic was grinding to a halt. So in the UK we'd have gone through 10 years of public enquiries at god know's what cost, 17 different plans and still the traffic would have got worse. In Dubai, the head of the department simply authorised the building of an extra lane in both directions and it'll be finished within the next 2 months. Simple.

On this board I can only think of 2 or maybe 3 (depends on what mood *** is in) detractors of Dubai. None of us (who weren't born here) are planning to be here for the next 10 years, so we enjoy the life experience we have here. I certainly wont be going back to the UK in a hurry, chavs, hoodies, asbo's, a huge drug and alcohol problem etc.

Guys, enjoy what we have here, we all know it can be very frustrating, but just think about the positives.

M

I know what you mean, Each time I go to a rest room in Dubai and all i remeber is the hardship I faced in Europe!

In europe a dirty stinky smelly toilet we need to pay 2euro to enter and I dont even feel to wash my hands, its that disgusting! and tell the attendant thank you and she/he doesnt even says welcome!

and on this hand in Dubai enter a toilet in marina or anywhere in that matter and there is some to open the door for you and then hand over to you a napkin! in a clean, neat and mirrored restroom!

And dont even need to say "ThankYou"

Yes we need to look at the positive aspects in Dubai and everything is far better off than anywhere.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 10:51 am
Just Joined

creative is a jewel in the roughcreative is a jewel in the roughcreative is a jewel in the roughcreative is a jewel in the roughcreative is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Dubai becoming a victim of its own success!......

[QUOTE=MJC]I'll take issue with you on the EK thing, yes we do run most of our internal procedures on Oracle and Remedy applications. The IT team customised standard Oracle Financials to work in an airline environment which is completely different to the financials of say Banks or manufacturing industries. It is so succesfull that we have now sold the same to many major carriers, BA, Singapore, Air NZ, Virgin - should I go on? And please, the pretty girl thing, come off it.

This email came from yahoo [adult group]. anyone can check out the group on yahoo. Emirates cabin crew is being recruited through the adult websites too!!!

Reply To: [email protected]
To: "'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE:Re: [choot_boor] Fwd: Erotic style: INDIAN NAUGHTY GIRL
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 5:00 PM

If you are responding to a request from the Emirates Group Recruitment Team, please ignore the message below, if not read further.

This is an automated response, there is no need to reply.

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your e-mail expressing interest in Cabin Crew career opportunities at Emirates Airline. With major expansion plans for the Airline this year and over the rest of this decade we are continually seeking applicants from around the globe to join our 'Cabin Crew team'. All our Cabin Crew are based in Dubai, one of the world's most cosmopolitan cities and a major tourism and lifestyle location.

As we now have a dedicated careers website,( www.emiratesgroupcareers.com <http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com > ), we request that all applications be made through the Cabin Crew On-line Application process contained within the Website. Valuable information on our selection and joining processes are also contained within the Website, along with information on the lifestyle benefits of living in Dubai.

Once you do apply please be aware that processing Cabin Crew applications can take up to three months due to the large number of candidates applying. Should you not be contacted within this timeframe please assume that on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful. If this does occur we apologise that we will not be able to respond to you individually, but you will be able to reapply after six months by updating your On-line application in the Website.

Thank you again for taking the time to e-mail us, and we look forward to receiving your On-line Application so we can consider you for Cabin Crew.

Yours faithfully,

Recruitment Manager
Emirates Group
United Arab Emirates
www.emiratesgroupcareers.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://in.groups.yahoo.com/group/choot_boor/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email protected]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC

None of us (who weren't born here) are planning to be here for the next 10 years, so we enjoy the life experience we have here. I certainly wont be going back to the UK in a hurry, chavs, hoodies, asbo's, a huge drug and alcohol problem etc.

M
Hi,
Ditto that. BTW, we came here thinking we would live here for just 5 years - save money (it's never enuf is it?) and leave - we've done 10 years already and have loved it. But this will be our final stint - when my daughter has to go to Uni, we will be sad that we will leave Dubai then.

But for now, we are very much enjoying life here - and YES it is the best stint we've had so far (we have been in India,Bombay - YUCK, New York - shudder, Hong Kong -give me Dubai anyday).

This place has it's +ves and -ves, but we (as well as a lot of others) are here because the +ves still outweigh the -es.

So, it's make hay while the sun shines as far as we're concerned.

Anya

Last edited by IndieG; Nov 25th 2005 at 11:19 am.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:02 pm
Trust Your Instincts.....

sassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CasaNova
I know what you mean, Each time I go to a rest room in Dubai and all i remeber is the hardship I faced in Europe!

In europe a dirty stinky smelly toilet we need to pay 2euro to enter and I dont even feel to wash my hands, its that disgusting! and tell the attendant thank you and she/he doesnt even says welcome!

and on this hand in Dubai enter a toilet in marina or anywhere in that matter and there is some to open the door for you and then hand over to you a napkin! in a clean, neat and mirrored restroom!

And dont even need to say "ThankYou"

Yes we need to look at the positive aspects in Dubai and everything is far better off than anywhere.

You obviously havent been to the toilets in the arrival lounge at the airport.............. :scared:
Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:29 pm
W10

Or in RAK

Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by W10
Or in RAK
Thats why they have RAK Ceramics.....
Old Nov 26th 2005, 4:07 pm
W10

Yeah but they export those and leave concrete holes in the ground.

It suits the backward, slightly quirky nature of the place.