Driving in Saudi

Old Sep 18th 2014, 3:16 am
Just Joined

akramshik70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in Saudi

Does anyone know if you can drive a car in Saudi on a British license?

Thanks,

A
Old Sep 18th 2014, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Driving in Saudi

Only in certain cases, certain visa(s) will you be on iqama? If so, you need to 'convert' your license/training into a Saudi license (paperwork, simple medical tests, queueing, cash)

Some hire car places accept passports but do you really want to drove uninsured here?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

as long as you don't have an Iqama

I drove for three years - hire car at the airport on the UK license - may have shown an Interntl Driving License one time
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Andyapr is an unknown quantity at this point

i use my uk one.... and i have had no problems.... you just need a some one who had a saudi one too as they will also register that one when hiring the car... only reason is for any speeding tickets or things like that....
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

British + international driving license is OK unless you have (or are in the process of applying for) iqama (in which case you need a Saudi license).

NB If you have a crash and get caught without the correct license you may be looking at a few days in saudi prison...best avoided.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Bigfrank28 is an unknown quantity at this point

How strict are they with speeding?
Old Sep 24th 2014, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigfrank28
How strict are they with speeding?
It's mandatory...drive fast, hard and dangerously. Seems the standard rule.

Seriously - there are more and more speed camera's cropping up, especially on the main roads. More and more red light camera's too at the junctions of main crossings.

Standard fine is 300 SR for speeding. If you're really caning it, goes up to 500SR, but at present no points penalty on your licence, just a fine.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about

The worst offence in my book is when you are at the lights heading straight, there is always at least one twat in the far right lane making a left turn across 3 lanes of traffic who are trying to go straight. This causes endless minor accidents. I blocked one the other day and forced him to go straight.....the look on this drooling imbeciles face was priceless
Old Sep 25th 2014, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

What really does my head in, is when there is a minor accident - and there are shed loads every day. The two cars have to literally stop their cars where they collided. This causes all sorts of problems for the motorists behind and around them, as it just causes chaos. My drive home has to go through loads of roadworks, with lanes narrowed and restricted. Get an accident ahead of you and you're fooked.

Saw one this morning, a small van and a flat bed truck. No damage to either vehicle, but stopped in the middle of the road creating tailbacks behind them.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about

Yeah because Saudi Plod has to come along and decide who has the darker skin and is therefore guilty..
Old Sep 28th 2014, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

super_hans is an unknown quantity at this point

Cameras are highly efficient and the mobile ones well hidden. The system for payment is also highly efficient, I can check and pay through my online SABB banking. Always best to check before you head to the airport as any unpaid fines equals no exit stamp.

I also read last week, that here in Jeddah anyone caught jumping a red light will have to do a night in prison before they are allowed to pay the fine.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, it is a pretty efficient system. Once you register online for the Ministry of Interior website, it's a useful tool. Register your phone number and you can get text alerts of your speeding fines! Luckily, not had one for a while now - maybe it's because the truck I drive probably isn't capable of breaking the speed limit...