Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Driving from Riyadh to Dubai?

Driving from Riyadh to Dubai?

Old May 9th 2010, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Driving from Riyadh to Dubai?

Hi All,

I'm thinking about driving from Riyadh to Dubai. Can anyone advise the best route? There is a new(ish) route through Kharj now isn't there? Is this quicker?
How long should I expect the trip to take? Any other advice about border crossings etc?

Many thanks,

MI.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving from Riyadh to Dubai?

There are a couple of ways to do this.
First you can take the 40 motorway and then team up with the 522.
This will take you to HOFUF.
Thats about 400 kms from Riyadh.
From HOFUF take the 85 and thats swings close to the Qatar Border but it swings in land slightly and runns stright down to the UAE Border and the E111 stright into the Abu dhabi.

As for Border checks, Customs etc.
sorry no idea.
Old May 11th 2010, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Coffin Dodger,

I subsequently found a couple of useful links here:

http://www.simbacom.com/brian/articles/uae.html
and
http://www.simbacom.com/riyadh-ksa/useful/uae.html

It looks like a pretty straightforward run but I think I'll have a GPS with me just in case.
Old May 14th 2010, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Alfi is an unknown quantity at this point

We did this route not so long ago. Take the main motorway (517) towards Kharj, at juntion 7 come off and turn left - follow the signs for Harad. 1st roundabout turn right, 2nd roundabout turn left. Now you head due East the whole way to the border passing Harad which is about 275km from Riyadh. You really can't go wrong. This is the new and most direct route.

The road is only one lane each way and there are loads of lorries heading to the border so lots of overtaking. You will pass a lot of the Almerai farms.

It's about 530km from Riyadh to border. The border can be really slow as they make everyone have a retina scan! It took us 3 hours around lunchtime on a Thursday. I suggest you try to cross early morning or late evening. Coming back we went through early in the morning and it was fine.

Once you're through the border there's a motorway all the way to Dubai.

PS: Really it's a full day's drive. Also remember that there are speed camera's in UAE and an electronic road pricing system in Dubai. There's lots of signs and you can stop and get a card at the petrol station, however I'm sure that you'll ever get the camera fines if you're driving a Saudi vehicle.
It's an easy drive but can be rather long, hot and boring. Have fun!

Last edited by Alfi; May 14th 2010 at 5:54 pm.