Driving in Qatar

Old Oct 24th 2016, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Y.H88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Driving in Qatar

Sorry if this question is in the wrong forum, I have only just registered and have no idea how to use this yet.

I have been in Qatar for 7 months now and am expecting my RP any day, and consequently will apply for my driving licence the moment the RP is with me.

After hours of futile searching,m I cannot find any solid information relating to converting a driving licence in Qatar.

I hold a full UK licence and a full UAE licence (both valid until 2023+). Can I convert either of these to a full Qatari licence without having to take the driving test?

As far as I am aware, the laws have changed recently, so I would really appreciate some guidance from someone who know the process based on the latest regulations.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Qatar

I presume Qatar is the same as the rest of the GCC. Go in and give them your UK one, some cash, 15 photos, 8 passport copies, an NOC from your long dead grandfather and they will do the rest.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the response, but the issue is that Qatar doesn't seem to be like the rest of the GCC.

I could easily transfer my UK licence to UAE & Kuwaiti before, but for Qatar the laws have just changed. From what I hear, no one can transfer a licence unless they are GCC nationals. Further to this, 240 professions are now banned from driving in Qatar.

With this said however, I do hope you're right.

Thanks
Old Oct 24th 2016, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Can't see them banning western expats from being able to get a licence.... So I would query the bit about GCC nationals only. GCC residents maybe, but nationals.... seems unlikely.

240 professions! Awesome! Wonder what those professions are and how what job you do dictates your standard of driving!
Old Oct 24th 2016, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Y.H88
Thanks for the response, but the issue is that Qatar doesn't seem to be like the rest of the GCC.

I could easily transfer my UK licence to UAE & Kuwaiti before, but for Qatar the laws have just changed. From what I hear, no one can transfer a licence unless they are GCC nationals. Further to this, 240 professions are now banned from driving in Qatar.

With this said however, I do hope you're right.

Thanks
You'll need / Qatari I.D / Photo's / Eye Test . Quite an easy process to be honest considering .

Brit's / Europeans / Auz / Can / Kiwi's can change automatically . The Yanks need to take a test as they get a bit confused with roundabouts
Old Oct 24th 2016, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks chaps, that's one less concern for me.

The whole RP process has taken ages compared to some of the other GCC Countries, although that might be down the the Company's PRO and not the Authorities...

Thanks Again
Old Oct 25th 2016, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

have you actually been to Doha??
Old Oct 25th 2016, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

ok my bad just read your post and you been in the sh*thole for 7months.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

T.E.Lawrence is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by co durham boy
You'll need / Qatari I.D / Photo's / Eye Test . Quite an easy process to be honest considering .

Brit's / Europeans / Auz / Can / Kiwi's can change automatically . The Yanks need to take a test as they get a bit confused with roundabouts
Don't you need a letter from yr sponsor (employer) ?
Old Nov 28th 2016, 7:52 am
Just Joined

QS29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Being a holder of a UK license, you will be able to apply for a Qatar license without having to do a test. If you have your RP, you will need to do an eye test and hand over a passport sized photograph. Your PRO should take care of it for you.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

It seems a bit strange to me that you have been in Qatar for 7 months and still waiting to get your RP. This is highly unusual.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 5:25 pm
fth
Forum Regular

fth is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm relatively new to Doha which means that we've experienced things working under current regulations, I lack longer term experience.

Both my wife and I have obtained full long term Qatari licenses based on our Australian licenses. Colleagues have had no problems with their UK licenses.

US licenses are a problem and some websites advise GCC licences held by non-GCC nationals can also pose problems.