Reload this Page >

Driving license: Catch 22

Driving license: Catch 22

Old Dec 21st 2014, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving license: Catch 22

Hi all,

I've been told I can expect my Abu Dhabi residence visa within the next week (hooray!)

However, I've also been told my Emirates ID might be delayed for over a month (not hooray!)

As far as my research suggests, the minute I have my residence visa in hand, my UK driving license is null and void and I must not drive on it. But I also need my Emirates ID in order to obtain my UAE license.

Am I therefore correct in thinking I should return my hire car (can I even drive it to the hire place??) and take taxis until I get my Emirates ID and can obtain a UAE license??
Old Dec 21st 2014, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Driving license: Catch 22

check with the hire company - but you are probably ok until the hire agreement runs out
Old Dec 21st 2014, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Aero is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting conundrum. Please post back once you have confirmed. Congrats , may I ask you, OP , how long it took to get the residence permit from applying ? I presume it's your sponsor who applies in your behalf.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Aero - asking how long it takes to get a residence permit is a bit like asking how long's a piece of string my company is known to be very fast at processing because it's through the Media Zone Authority.

I applied for mine 2 weeks ago and will have it in 2-3 days, apparently.

But my wife only just got her permit and it was applied for in July!!

Emirates ID is another matter. Could be another few months for me...

Anyway, back on track. If anyone can confirm the rumour that I can just show a copy of my Emirates ID application form to get a license, please do!!
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Jimmy B is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my driving license before emirates ID's had to be shown, but in my experience all places accept the application form and so I think you will be fine to go and get your license when your you have your residency permit.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by driftingaway
Hi all,

I've been told I can expect my Abu Dhabi residence visa within the next week (hooray!)

However, I've also been told my Emirates ID might be delayed for over a month (not hooray!)

As far as my research suggests, the minute I have my residence visa in hand, my UK driving license is null and void and I must not drive on it. But I also need my Emirates ID in order to obtain my UAE license.

Am I therefore correct in thinking I should return my hire car (can I even drive it to the hire place??) and take taxis until I get my Emirates ID and can obtain a UAE license??
yes you are correct once your visa is stamped into your passport you must then use a uae driving licence, if you do not have your emirates id as long as its under processing and you have the receipt that is usually enough for them to issue a driving licence, if you can exchange it to a uae one. otherwise you cannot use your uk licence to drive a rental car here anymore
Old Dec 25th 2014, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

fyi: you do not get the id card anyways same time as your visa stamp... it can be "any" amount of time... so you would have everyone in the same boat... its not a problem showing the receipt for any government department so dont loose it. and no, you cannot just assume that the rental place will allow you to use their card under your uk licence until the agreement is finished... you will not be covered to drive and in this place you must be "legal"... so dont believe that! you will be fine showing your eid receipt
Old Dec 25th 2014, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys. Still waiting for my visa, but got a text this morning from emirates ID saying it's been validated and will now be issued, so I presume that means they've had sight of my completed visa and everything should be on its way soon... (a good thing as I'm supposed to be flying to Sri Lanka on 30th..!)

Last edited by driftingaway; Dec 25th 2014 at 4:21 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by driftingaway
Thanks guys. Still waiting for my visa, but got a text this morning from emirates ID saying it's been validated and will now be issued, so I presume that means they've had sight of my completed visa and everything should be on its way soon...
eid and visa are connected nowadays... wasnt in the beginning way back like 5/6 years ago... the system has gotten much better and quicker than in the beginning..... if you are getting sms thats a newish thing. they are trying now to connect the two things together and eventually all will be connected on your emirates id... like labour card, all utilities etc.... so they have come a long way already. remember tho the last couple of months is always full of holidays which slows down any process.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i can tell you when i went to get my driving licence just a "few" years ago.. it took me like 3 days to get all the necessary paperwork and give them "blood" and eye test and this no objection and that no objection and ........ so the fact that now its all done pretty quick and smoothless unless you experienced the "old ways" you have no idea....!!!!
Old Dec 26th 2014, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Hi, and welcome.

You won't receive your ID card until after your visa is done, (but it will be around a week-10 days not a month, currently), however you don't need the physical card to get your DL.

Your PRO can give you a copy of the ID card paper that has the bar code on it, this is enough to take along with your eye test result (if you do your eye test at one of the clinics linked to Immigration the result will go online automatically), your pp/residence visa and your UK License. Job done, half an hour.

Good luck!