Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Driving Dubai to London via Iraq & Iran

Driving Dubai to London via Iraq & Iran

Old May 10th 2015, 5:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Driving Dubai to London via Iraq & Iran

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Egypt - Greece - Italy.
Latter part of that isn't even that easy to avoid ferries. Can go through bits of Eastern bloc or take the Greece (can't remember if Patras or Piraeus) - Ancona ferry which is 24 hours of.....nothing.

Dad's on it as we speak in fact. We've done UK-Crete and back quite a few times with various cars and vans. The lucky bugger is doing it in an XKR now.
Old May 10th 2015, 5:38 am
cba
Just Joined

cba is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp
Latter part of that isn't even that easy to avoid ferries. Can go through bits of Eastern bloc or take the Greece (can't remember if Patras or Piraeus) - Ancona ferry which is 24 hours of.....nothing.

Dad's on it as we speak in fact. We've done UK-Crete and back quite a few times with various cars and vans. The lucky bugger is doing it in an XKR now.
Road trip in an XKR- Life goals right there. Perfect touring car
Old May 10th 2015, 6:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by cba
Road trip in an XKR- Life goals right there. Perfect touring car
He and I took it down there. I wasn't allowed to go over 100mph. Didn't need to, roof down, Italian sunshine, Dad in the next seat, music on. Heaven.
Old May 23rd 2015, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Bungdit Din is on a distinguished road

I read a blog a few years ago where someone drove from Dubai to the UK via the Saudi route. Trying to find it now, but it's being elusive.

As I remember it, the bottom line was that it was MUCH more difficult than expected between here and Europe, due to issues crossing borders. No matter what visas you have arranged in advance be prepared to pay bribes, expect some overnight (or longer) stays in the car in queues at border posts, and count on a fair bit of luck.
Old May 23rd 2015, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Gobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just have a bath of baked beans, wearing a silly hat and playing a ukulele? Would be a hell of a lot saner than the route you're looking at.
Old May 26th 2015, 1:18 am
Just Joined

Jollyjerm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Take plenty of ammo
Ha! My first thought too.