Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dress code: female assistant professor

Dress code: female assistant professor

Old Aug 8th 2014, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Maymona is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dress code: female assistant professor

I'm going to travel to Kuwait in few weeks time to start working as an assistant professor. It's time to pack my bags!! I was wondering what do women assistant professors wear to uni? Suits, abayas, casual? In the UK, I'd be comfortable turning up to lectures in jeans but not sure if this would be a sensible idea in Kuwait. Would students think lower of the lecturer if she dresses casually? What I'm trying to say is, do I need to change my wardrobe (most of my clothes are slightly tight-fitted)? What about high heels?

Also, since classes are segregated by gender, are male students generally respectful towards female lecturers?

Please feel free to share any other tips.

Thanks.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 11:34 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dress code: female assistant professor

students are not respectful to lecturers full stop.

just ignore anyone mucking around in class - it's not worth it. try to teach the ones that want to learn, and ignore those that don't.

do not wear slightly tight fitted clothes, if they cling.

wear smart black trousers, black jacket, formal shirt. high heels are almost obligatory for most females, and you can show foot skin if you want pump style high heels rather than boot style high heels.

don't dress casually - it's not done, and it's too hot to wear jeans. you would lose respect.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 2:42 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know exactly what the title Assistant Professor means: are you actually a professor, but lack teaching experience? Are you nearly a professor (whatever that might mean)? Anyhow, given that you have the highest academic achievement in your job title, surely the grey matter you've deployed to achieve that could also be deployed in asking those for whom you'll be working, and presumably the colleagues with whom you'll be working, rather than a bored (sic) without (at least to my knowledge) a professor in its ranks. Or is that asking too much?
Old Aug 8th 2014, 5:05 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

(I'm often asked to be a Visiting Professor in Economics at Grad & Post Grad level, as a job on the side. I'm female.)
Old Aug 8th 2014, 5:05 pm
womble

"Assistant Professor" is what UK Universities used to call "Senior Lecturer"
Old Aug 8th 2014, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I don't know exactly what the title Assistant Professor means: are you actually a professor, but lack teaching experience? Are you nearly a professor (whatever that might mean)? Anyhow, given that you have the highest academic achievement in your job title, surely the grey matter you've deployed to achieve that could also be deployed in asking those for whom you'll be working, and presumably the colleagues with whom you'll be working, rather than a bored (sic) without (at least to my knowledge) a professor in its ranks. Or is that asking too much?
Is it too much to ask people for their advice or do you think they'd lose their grey matter in giving advice?!! What's this forum for? I believe there are a lot of people in this forum who have been in a similar situation as myself and are able to shed some light.

To answer your 'question', an assistant professor is equivalent to a lecturer in the UK. I.e someone with a PhD and teaches at university.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
students are not respectful to lecturers full stop.

just ignore anyone mucking around in class - it's not worth it. try to teach the ones that want to learn, and ignore those that don't.
Thanks OriginalSunshine for the helpful reply! I was under the impression that students in the middle east have a lot of respect for university academics, but not so much for school teachers?
Old Aug 8th 2014, 10:31 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maymona
Is it too much to ask people for their advice or do you think they'd lose their grey matter in giving advice?!! What's this forum for? I believe there are a lot of people in this forum who have been in a similar situation as myself and are able to shed some light.

To answer your 'question', an assistant professor is equivalent to a lecturer in the UK. I.e someone with a PhD and teaches at university.
Just seems totally illogical and at odds with the academic rigour that is no doubt required to attain a PhD to ask a question of mainly non-academic strangers when your new employer knows exactly.

But, what do I know? (It's "similar to", by the way, not "similar as". I'll let the other one ride.)

Good luck
Old Aug 9th 2014, 4:23 am
womble

Oh give her a break. My English grammar isn't 100% perfect either, but then again, I've been studying maths/science/engineering since I was 16 when I chose my A levels.

And how do you know she hasn't asked the University already? It's Kuwait - they probably haven't replied to the email yet, given the Ramadhan/Eid/summer holidays.

Maymona - as I said, Universities will have some that want to learn and some that don't. Just teach to those that want to learn rather than those that are just there to pick up the grades (and don't stress if you are asked to un-fail idiot wide boy/girl - just give them a D instead of F; smile and think of the money).
Old Aug 9th 2014, 6:57 am
Hit 16's

Just warming her up for Kuwait
Old Aug 9th 2014, 10:59 am
Just Joined

stormwynd is an unknown quantity at this point

Just seems totally illogical and at odds with the academic rigour that is no doubt required to attain a PhD to ask a question of mainly non-academic strangers when your new employer knows exactly.

But, what do I know? (It's "similar to", by the way, not "similar as". I'll let the other one ride.)

Good luck
Why should one profession not post questions to a community forums, this is no different than the questions everyone else asks. If you don't like to share your thoughts then don't go through the question threads?
Old Aug 9th 2014, 1:13 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by stormwynd
Why should one profession not post questions to a community forums, this is no different than the questions everyone else asks. If you don't like to share your thoughts then don't go through the question threads?
I did share my thoughts.

ps: "from"
Old Aug 10th 2014, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Something like this would probably work:

Old Aug 10th 2014, 2:21 pm
womble

Maymona: the above is a prime example of the type of "humour" that still exists here in the ME with the so-called liberal Western expats. Don't expect any better.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

jordcov is an unknown quantity at this point

What a top bloke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.