Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doing Business in Qatar With Cheques ?

Doing Business in Qatar With Cheques ?

Old Jan 9th 2018, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Doing Business in Qatar With Cheques ?

Be careful

detainedindubai
Old Jan 10th 2018, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doing Business in Qatar With Cheques ?

the link appears to be blocked
Old Jan 10th 2018, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

I tried with my company's VPN, it was blocked.

Tried with my personal VPN - worked fine (Mission, the one I mentioned)
Old Jan 10th 2018, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

It's not blocked in Qatar, ironically enough.

Now that's an ouch position to be in.

I will never allow myself to be in any kind of signatory position out here. Nor take on any debt.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB
I tried with my company's VPN, it was blocked.

Tried with my personal VPN - worked fine (Mission, the one I mentioned)
Thanks MAV - i still haven't connected to it - waiting for my frigging Du connection to be completed and then i will give that VPN a go.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
It's not blocked in Qatar, ironically enough.

Now that's an ouch position to be in.

I will never allow myself to be in any kind of signatory position out here. Nor take on any debt.
what's the story yaar?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
what's the story yaar?
Condensed version below.

BRIT JONATHAN NASH FACES LIFE IN QATAR PRISON FOR BOUNCED CHEQUES

If someone was given a 37 years prison sentence in Europe or the UK you’d expect them to be a violent criminal. This is not the case in Qatar as horrified British businessman Jonathan Nash has discovered.. He has been given essentially life imprisonment for nothing more than bounced cheques.

Jonathan Nash, is CEO of Top House in Qatar, he has 27 years of experience in the electronic security systems industry. Top House offers technical, commercial and management services to the local construction industry. As CEO of a company, it is normal practice to write cheques in advance, as assurance of payment in the future. The cheques signed by Jonathan assured millions of Qatari riyals to clients and suppliers. When the company blocked payment, Jonathan found himself personally liable and facing the rest of his life in prison.

Jonathan believes he is the victim of an internal power struggle at his company, Top House. And that he has been used as fall-guy for the covert liquidation of the company’s assets.

While he is held in jail, business partner David Bolger and their Qatari company sponsor, His Excellency Sheikh Saoud Thamer M. J. Al-Thani, are divvying up Jonathan’s stake in the business.

Nash says that a campaign of lies and rumours damaged his business reputation to such an extent that many of his suppliers and clients lost confidence in him and decided to hastily cash cheques Jonathan had written on behalf of the company, in a rush to get their money. But because of an internal disagreement at Top House, the funds were not available from their business accounts to cover the cheques. Now Jonathan is being held responsible.

Despite Jonathan having just completed negotiations with Mashreq bank for five million Qatari riyals which was to be available to cover any debts from 3 days after his arrest, the police have refused to listen to his explanations and plans to cover the cheques.

Regardless of the fact that he had taken measures to cover the cheques, Jonathan Nash was arrested and thrown in jail in March 2015, where he now faces life imprisonment.

The combination of the defamatory campaign against him and the Qatari court system are making it almost impossible for Jonathan to get out. While he is stuck in one of the harshest prisons in the world, Nash says that he has heard reports that Top House assets, including cars and office furniture are being sold off and that the funds have disappeared.

Radha Stirling, CEO and founder of Detained in Dubai who are providing legal support to Jonathan and his family said in a statement, "The shock felt by Jonathan and his family at the prospect of him spending 37 years in Qatar prison is immense.

“The practice of using blank cheques as assurance for millions of pounds of business debt immediately puts business people in jeopardy. Holding an individual personally responsible for such large amounts of corporate debt is not a standard the international business community follows, and certainly a 37 year prison sentence in such a case is beyond all norms.

“Business practice in the Qatar must be reformed to bring it in line with international standards. The cheque system used in the Qatar is antiquated and as many find to their cost, open to fraud even by those with good business reputations.

“In most countries, if someone is innocent they’d have a chance to prove it in court. But because this is Qatar, Jonathan has not been allowed to defend himself or present evidence in his own favour, as he would have been if he had been at home in the UK.”

Because of local practice in the Qatar, a defendant in cases like this is only ever asked three standard questions at the court hearings, to which they may only answer yes or no:

Did you issue this cheque?

Is this your signature?

Have you paid?

This is enough for the Qatar courts, no explanation or defence is allowed. On top of that Jonathan doesn’t get to see any of the evidence against him and has to this day, not seen the rulings of many of the court hearings.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks DXB - dayummm that's well bad.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

March 2015, is he still in jail?