British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dog friendly compounds in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dog-friendly-compounds-dubai-905637/)

HappyBee Nov 9th 2017 8:44 am

Dog friendly compounds in Dubai

We are considering a move to Dubai but have a large dog so need a villa with a garden somewhere on a compound or in an area which allows dog walking. We’ve heard that many compounds and landlords no longer allow dogs. Any help/ advice would be appreciated.

DXBtoDOH Nov 9th 2017 8:59 am

Re: Dog friendly compounds in Dubai

Where are you moving from?

Dubai doesn't really have "compounds" like the ones you find in Saudi Arabia. A "compound" in Dubai mainly refers to two rows of attached villas with a pool in between.

The big master planned communities like Arabian Ranches or Victory Heights or Springs aren't compounds but gated communities (yes there is a difference). I'm not aware of any major neighbourhoods banning dogs outright. Neighbourhoods consisting of independent villas like Jumeirah or Umm Suqeim also don't ban dogs. It comes down to what the landlord will allow and in the UAE they only care about the $$$ and not whether you have a dog and cat.

To make it succinctly clear: all areas have plenty of dog owners, whether in Jumeirah or on Arabian Ranches. And you will see people out and about walking their dogs. The only times I'm aware of it being an issue are apartment buildings. Some allow them, others don't.

HappyBee Nov 9th 2017 10:25 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12378270)
Where are you moving from?

Dubai doesn't really have "compounds" like the ones you find in Saudi Arabia. A "compound" in Dubai mainly refers to two rows of attached villas with a pool in between.

The big master planned communities like Arabian Ranches or Victory Heights or Springs aren't compounds but gated communities (yes there is a difference). I'm not aware of any major neighbourhoods banning dogs outright. Neighbourhoods consisting of independent villas like Jumeirah or Umm Suqeim also don't ban dogs. It comes down to what the landlord will allow and in the UAE they only care about the $$$ and not whether you have a dog and cat.

To make it succinctly clear: all areas have plenty of dog owners, whether in Jumeirah or on Arabian Ranches. And you will see people out and about walking their dogs. The only times I'm aware of it being an issue are apartment buildings. Some allow them, others don't.

Thanks for your response, several of the letting agents had posted things on their websites saying that it was becoming harder to find accommodation suitable for a dog, hence our query.

mission Nov 9th 2017 11:05 am

i have a dog...as DXB mentioned above there are no such areas which ban dogs. If you are looking at renting a villa then it will be entirely up to the landlord whether he allows you to rent the villa with a dog...if you are looking at apartments, then usually the building in which the apartment is in will have a general policy of being a 'no pet building'.