Reload this Page >

Doctor Options in the ME - UAE/Kuwait/Qatar

Doctor Options in the ME - UAE/Kuwait/Qatar

Old Apr 2nd 2017, 9:19 am
Just Joined

BritishGP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doctor Options in the ME - UAE/Kuwait/Qatar

Hello all

I'm a british GP, considering future options in terms of career, with a family of young kids.

It would be good to hear generally from UK GPs who have settled abroad in the Middle East - UAE, Qatar, Kuwait - and find out how their experiences have been.

There was a surge in jobs in Qatar in 2015/early 2016 but seems to have completely gone off the radar since then. They were meant to announce new jobs at PHCC/(HMC) this year but they seem to only be looking for Arabic speaking GPs, which I am not.

I have heard Kuwait are having openings soon, but without accommodation being offered. I have not really considered Kuwait before, but looking on this forum, there seems to be a lot of negative sentiments about it. Although I cannot see any consistent reasons why. Is it the lifestyle or generally not much to do?

Is it usual not to be offered allowances / accommodation in Kuwait as jobs offers I've seen elsewhere in the ME have all come with accommodation and education allowances?

Thanks.
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 10:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Doctor Options in the ME - UAE/Kuwait/Qatar

You're a British Grand Prix?
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 11:30 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doctor Options in the ME - UAE/Kuwait/Qatar

Kuwait has publicly stated that they don't really want expats and with little to do, compared to the UAE and even Qatar, it's not a desirable option. It's also dry so that puts many off.

There are several posters with good knowledge of Qatar who can comment far better but it looks like a bit of slowdown.

If you are looking at jobs in the UAE do proper research. The emirates are quite different as are hospitals and clinics in terms of how staff are treated. It is common for hospital staff to be on fixed contract and there are penalties for breaking them if you want to change job or leave.

I don't think any of our regular posters are in the medical profession but some of our lurkers may pop up.