Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Day Of Rage In Bahrain Demonstration

Day Of Rage In Bahrain Demonstration

Old Apr 29th 2012, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Day Of Rage In Bahrain Demonstration

Originally Posted by Brit.Loz
Cheers mate!

I have been in East Africa since 2009 so am currently celebrating (a) 24 hour daily electricity (b) streetlights (c) flat, tarmac roads.

Maybe (I bow to your experience) it will be a madhouse but looking forward to the challenge. Nowhere is perfect and most places have good and bad, so ready to focus on the good and avoid, tolerate and accept any bad.
Jambo bwana loz, habari za safari ? Ag for you Bahrain will be heaven. The maid will not have rifiled the sugar or nyama from the freezer which will not be on a permanent freeze thaw freeze cycle. The disloyals don't have a penchant for machetes either.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

popsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to all

Work Widow - I reckon your son could bike to and from bsb from Real Gardens, no problem, although it might be a bit sticky riding home. On the Real Gardens front, out of interest, have you had a quote from them? I say because I nipped down there a couple of months ago and their first offer was 2000 a month for a villa with pool which I thought was pretty pricey for what you get. Think they were asking 1500 for the other ones, but they aren't so nice IMHO. Oh, and controversy alert - are you dead set on bsb? Again, only my opinion but I think st chris is better if your son is into arts and drama particularly...It's a pain, but takes me about 20 mins to get into isa town in the morning, or the school bus from there would take 50 mins or so. I just think its a better set up school... I will shut up now.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Jambo bwana loz, habari za safari ? Ag for you Bahrain will be heaven. The maid will not have rifiled the sugar or nyama from the freezer which will not be on a permanent freeze thaw freeze cycle. The disloyals don't have a penchant for machetes either.
But do they put put a tire on you, douse you in petrol, set you alight? Life for criminals can be pretty arduous in Africa.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
But do they put put a tire on you, douse you in petrol, set you alight? Life for criminals can be pretty arduous in Africa.
You mean only people who are definitely guilty of something get that treatment?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Define definitely....
Old Apr 29th 2012, 8:03 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Define definitely....
Depends on who are the definers.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by The Dean
My last experience, some guy had been robbing all the caddies going to work..so they chased him around the golf course, caught him, and gave due punishment. life in Africa is always fascinating and cheap. But I found, in lack of an enforcing police force, social justice was handed out with relatively due diligence.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Brit.Loz is an unknown quantity at this point

Tockalosh, you surprised me with the swahili response. The journey was fine thanks! And you are so right about the frozen/unfrozen/re-frozen food cycle, never a good thing at all!

I won't get in to it, but Africa does have a rather different way of punishing crime, generally vengeance being taken by 'associates' of the victim.

As for the domestic staff, it is often the case as you say, but we actually had some good ones (husband and wife) and they have been 100% reliable and honest. I'd like to think this was because we treated them very well.

Back on topic, still all good here. Just one more question: is it commonplace that despite the extensive and expensive medical tests done in UK, I must now have more medical checks done here? What else does this involve?

Last edited by Brit.Loz; Apr 29th 2012 at 9:53 am.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Tockalosh, you surprised me with the swahili response. The journey was fine thanks! And you are so right about the frozen/unfrozen/re-frozen food cycle, never a good thing at all!

I won't get in to it, but Africa does have a rather different way of punishing crime, generally vengeance being taken by 'associates' of the victim.

As for the domestic staff, it is often the case as you say, but we actually had some good ones (husband and wife) and they have been 100% reliable and honest. I'd like to think this was because we treated them very well.

Back on topic, still all good here. Just one more question: is it commonplace that despite the extensive and expensive medical tests done in UK, I must now have more medical checks done here? What else does this involve?
It's 2 hours of bollix for your visa mate. Off to al razi med centre near central market, another dose of x rays to the chest, quick eye test and something else I can't remember. You'll be lined up with ma Tcns and it smells like a long drop on a summers day. Regardless of appointment time they give you, get there for 0720 to be first in line.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Well that was all done and very easy. Eye test, blood pressure, chest x-ray and heart. Arrived just before 9.00 and was out of there in 10 minutes.

To be fair, you were right, lots of people waiting. But it seems that my company have good contacts and queues can be bypassed

Was due to start work tomorrow but found out it is a public holiday. Now, if only I knew where to find somewhere showing the football tonight, I could enjoy my first serious venture out.

Staying on topic for any observers, I've still not witnessed or heard anything in any way negative in this part of the island, and I'm pleased to be here.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:16 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Well that was all done and very easy. Eye test, blood pressure, chest x-ray and heart. Arrived just before 9.00 and was out of there in 10 minutes.

To be fair, you were right, lots of people waiting. But it seems that my company have good contacts and queues can be bypassed

Was due to start work tomorrow but found out it is a public holiday. Now, if only I knew where to find somewhere showing the football tonight, I could enjoy my first serious venture out.

Staying on topic for any observers, I've still not witnessed or heard anything in any way negative in this part of the island, and I'm pleased to be here.
You could do worse than JJ's in Adliya or Champs in Juffair for watching the football. Taxi drivers will know where both places are..
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by norsk
You could do worse than JJ's in Adliya or Champs in Juffair for watching the football. Taxi drivers will know where both places are..
Thanks Norsk. I will check them out on the map, both are safe zones at night and nice atmosphere?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:24 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Norsk. I will check them out on the map, both are safe zones at night and nice atmosphere?
yes. both are in what are considered to be safe zones.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by norsk
yes. both are in what are considered to be safe zones.
Thanks again. If I can find somewhere to get some cash, or at least an ATM, this 'billy no mates' may well head off to one of them tonight! I guess there could be an ATM at one of those locations anyway?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again. If I can find somewhere to get some cash, or at least an ATM, this 'billy no mates' may well head off to one of them tonight! I guess there could be an ATM at one of those locations anyway?
There's an HSBC close enough to JJs, get the cab to stop on the way. It's not a bad place to go on your Jack Jones either - should be easy to get chatting to people in there.

Good luck settling in mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.