Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Day Of Rage In Bahrain Demonstration

Day Of Rage In Bahrain Demonstration

Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:35 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Day Of Rage In Bahrain Demonstration

Originally Posted by lionheart
Highly unlikely that police would be firing on protesters.
that's what I thought...

check this out though; http://www.facebook.com/pages/14th-F...96431420371305
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice

I spoke to one of my employees last night, whom lives behind the Brit embassy......and he said that his mum told him that the police had found 300lbs of explosives in a village, and said that their was some shootings at a wedding yesterday evening, when the police opened fire when the people from the reception tried going from the wedding to the protests His mum wouldnt let him go out last night because they could hear them all getting ready for today......but I agree with most people's comments, can they really be arsed!!! We will see, my girlfriend read the comments last night, looks like we are going to the bloody British Club tonight!! Lets hope they kick off a bit out here, so we dont have to go !!

Last edited by markinbahrain; Feb 14th 2011 at 4:54 am.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:25 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markinbahrain
I spoke to one of my employees last night, whom lives behind the Brit embassy......and he said that his mum told him that the police had found 300lbs of explosives in a village, and said that their was some shootings at a wedding yesterday evening, when the police opened fire when the people from the reception tried going from the wedding to the protests His mum wouldnt let him go out last night because they could hear them all getting ready for today......but I agree with most people's comments, can they really be arsed!!! We will see, my girlfriend read the comments last night, looks like we are going to the bloody British Club tonight!! Lets hope they kick off a bit out here, so we dont have to go !!
British Club? It's probably the crappiest place in Bahrain on any day of the year - not just on Valentines. I was a member once. Left the membership to expire after the place reminded me instantly why I left the UK in the first place..

Anyway, I doubt there will be any protests in Umm Al Hassam.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Just driven down from Burger king roundabout to Alosra and then onto the Dilmun club and not a single tyre burning mark on the road anywhere. As suspected the idle shites couldnt be bothered getting off their beds or away from their PC's

Definitely sundowners as usual tonight
Old Feb 14th 2011, 7:45 am
need a new teeshirt

heartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the rough

Some clashes in Newidrate near Sitra. Witnesses say police used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse crowd. Think the major demonstations at least around Goverment Road start around 3-3:30pm
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been told that Saudi tanks have been mobilised at the causeway and closed the border - can anyone confirm this? Quite a few drama queens getting excited about all of this and it's hard to discern fact from fiction...
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
I've just been told that Saudi tanks have been mobilised at the causeway and closed the border - can anyone confirm this? Quite a few drama queens getting excited about all of this and it's hard to discern fact from fiction...
My (normally reliable) sources say they know nothing about that. In any case, why would they be needed? They are hardly going to invade, not even to prop up the ruling family.............. are they?
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
My (normally reliable) sources say they know nothing about that. In any case, why would they be needed? They are hardly going to invade, not even to prop up the ruling family.............. are they?
Those were my initial thoughts but my guess is (if this is true) it's about minimising disruption and injury to Saudis - those working on the border and those visiting Bahrain. They're not exactly popular here amongst the Shia community. If they close it for a day as a precaution it's no big deal in the general scheme of things, tanks or no tanks.....
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:01 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Those were my initial thoughts but my guess is (if this is true) it's about minimising disruption and injury to Saudis - those working on the border and those visiting Bahrain. They're not exactly popular here amongst the Shia community. If they close it for a day as a precaution it's no big deal in the general scheme of things, tanks or no tanks.....
I doubt very much this is true, but I'll find out in a couple of hours when I go home from work. If the border is closed I will be a bit miffed..
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by norsk
I doubt very much this is true, but I'll find out in a couple of hours when I go home from work. If the border is closed I will be a bit miffed..
I hope it turns out to be another fairy story - when I said "it's no big deal" I didn't mean to be dismissive of those potentially directly affected. As a daily user of the causeway I have felt the pain of a 4 hour wait amongst a bunch of dickheads who would happily drive over your car to gain 6 feet in the queue.....
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:13 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

If they close it for a day as a precaution it's no big deal in the general scheme of things, tanks or no tanks.....
Unless you are one of the many western expats working in eastern KSA but residing across The Causeway in Bahrain. It may be a big deal for them.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:44 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ctfc
Following Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan and Yemen the citizens of the UAE are now protesting against their government.

An unnamed protester expanded on the citizens’ key demands for this newspaper:

1. Working day for Emiratis to be reduced from 2 hours a day to 1.

2. Holidays for Emiratis to be extended to 200 per annum plus public holidays.

3. Failure to deliver things to be blamed on foreigners without exception, to be formally accepted into constitution as opposed to currently just being best practice.

4. Eating cake to be adopted as national sport.
Hehe...very funny
Old Feb 14th 2011, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I hope it turns out to be another fairy story - when I said "it's no big deal" I didn't mean to be dismissive of those potentially directly affected. As a daily user of the causeway I have felt the pain of a 4 hour wait amongst a bunch of dickheads who would happily drive over your car to gain 6 feet in the queue.....
Reuters article refers to closing the causeway, but in an Iran-related context:

http://www.trust.org/alertnet/news/b...e-egypt-effect
Old Feb 14th 2011, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Just found this forum so I though't I'd contribute what I've managed to find out so far.

this guy is on the ground and seems to be providing the most accurate info, nothing sensational.

http://twitter.com/ammar456

Roads to Bab alBahrain closed apparantly.

http://plixi.com/p/77272678

Some more pics on this page.

http://twitpic.com/search#q=#Feb14&type=mixed&page=1

Haven't heard anything yet really, it's quiet in my part of town as I got the day off today.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

A video posted on The Guardian today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=R3LazFJ0wa4

Great crowd control..I wonder if they have tried kettling yet as well. We all see how that worked so fantastically in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.