British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Current good VPNs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/current-good-vpns-743520/)

Bahtatboy Jan 2nd 2012 7:16 pm

Current good VPNs

I know this has been asked before, but I guess things change. If anyone could PM me with the name of a VPN / proxy that's working fine from the UAE, I'd be obliged.

Thanks in anticipation:D

hnd Jan 2nd 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Current good VPNs

Yeah, right. Like Dushite et al don't snoop?

auzdafluff Jan 2nd 2012 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9816575)
I know this has been asked before, but I guess things change. If anyone could PM me with the name of a VPN / proxy that's working fine from the UAE, I'd be obliged.

Thanks in anticipation:D

PM'd mate.

Bob Jan 3rd 2012 12:02 am

Have a look at the US forum...there's one going free during beta at the mo

iamthestig Jan 3rd 2012 4:31 am

If you are technically inclined, I would consider setting up a VPS, it will cost a little more but give you complete control and maybe bypass the UAE filters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_server

If that's a little daunting, there are plenty of reviews here: http://myvpnreviews.com/all-vpn-provider/

Oyibopeppeh Jan 4th 2012 4:48 am

Open*** is a cracking, easy to install, web based vee pee en.

You can even install it over a normal connection.

iamthestig Jan 4th 2012 5:04 am

Open*** is, if we are talking about the same thing, just an open source vee pee enn client, and requires that you have a corresponding Open*** server to connect to.

On its own it does nothing, I've been using it for years and it is the mutts.

auzdafluff Jan 4th 2012 8:03 am

Originally Posted by iamthestig (Post 9819369)
Open*** is, if we are talking about the same thing, just an open source vee pee enn client, and requires that you have a corresponding Open*** server to connect to.

On its own it does nothing, I've been using it for years and it is the mutts.

Its what I used with my the server I hire. I get 5Mbps easily.

gottheTshirt Jan 4th 2012 12:34 pm

I am a complete luddite, but recently subscribed to Lamnia. Even I managed to install it (one click and a password), works perfectly. Unfortunately it reminded me of one of the reasons to be working overseas: There is also absolutely nothing worth watching on British TV. Shame we have all this technology of 52 inch flat screen HD, 3D, surround sound etc and all we can find to show on it is complete crap.

iamthestig Jan 4th 2012 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt (Post 9820050)
I am a complete luddite, but recently subscribed to Lamnia. Even I managed to install it (one click and a password), works perfectly. Unfortunately it reminded me of one of the reasons to be working overseas: There is also absolutely nothing worth watching on British TV. Shame we have all this technology of 52 inch flat screen HD, 3D, surround sound etc and all we can find to show on it is complete crap.

I think you would be hard pressed to fill an evening watching UK telly, but amongst all the reality garbage there are still a few gems. Some wonderful stuff on BBC4 you wouldn't find produced anywhere else in the world, watched Aiannucci's Tales of Charles Dickens last night, brilliant.

OriginalSunshine Jan 4th 2012 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by iamthestig (Post 9820078)
I think you would be hard pressed to fill an evening watching UK telly, but amongst all the reality garbage there are still a few gems. Some wonderful stuff on BBC4 you wouldn't find produced anywhere else in the world, watched Aiannucci's Tales of Charles Dickens last night, brilliant.

Series 2 Episode 1 of Sherlock currently available on BBC iPlayer.....

auzdafluff Jan 4th 2012 7:12 pm

I agree. I find myself flitting between the documentary/factual channels on BBC iPlayer and 4oD.

OriginalSunshine Jan 5th 2012 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 9820277)
Series 2 Episode 1 of Sherlock currently available on BBC iPlayer.....

downloaded / watched it last night. not bad.

guuuude Jan 6th 2012 8:05 am

why not use the torbrowser? In UAE everything was watchable with them! In Saudi not but this isnt the theme ;-)

lullabelle Jan 6th 2012 3:37 pm

Are you kidding?

I certainly haven't come here for the tv and I work in the bloody industry