Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Converting UK Driving Licence to UAE - Points Transfer?

Converting UK Driving Licence to UAE - Points Transfer?

Old Jul 11th 2017, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Converting UK Driving Licence to UAE - Points Transfer?

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
the beauty of driving in the UK on a UAE license with a hire car is, yes you (can) get the fine, but no, you don't get the points.
i've had speeding fines while hiring a car in the UK using my UAE license....the local authority where the fine was committed, sent me the fine here in Dubai and it said if i didn't pay it within a certain period ie 2 weeks, the fine would double and i would start to incur court charges....if those were scare tactics, it certainly worked because i paid the fine straightaway...but of course no points, since it was on my UAE license.
If you refuse to pay a fine, i do wonder what the authorities back in the UK can legally do?
Old Jul 11th 2017, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
i've had speeding fines while hiring a car in the UK using my UAE license....the local authority where the fine was committed, sent me the fine here in Dubai and it said if i didn't pay it within a certain period ie 2 weeks, the fine would double and i would start to incur court charges....if those were scare tactics, it certainly worked because i paid the fine straightaway...but of course no points, since it was on my UAE license.
If you refuse to pay a fine, i do wonder what the authorities back in the UK can legally do?
Was this with a big rental company or a small local one? Just wondering if the biggies can't be bothered chasing as they see no value in it whereas the smaller ones would.

I wonder what they can do seeing as generally the postal system here is hit and miss at the best of time if not using a courier. I.e. what could they do if you claim you never received it. Most threat such as those have to be substantiated by a signature upon delivery.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Was this with a big rental company or a small local one? Just wondering if the biggies can't be bothered chasing as they see no value in it whereas the smaller ones would.

I wonder what they can do seeing as generally the postal system here is hit and miss at the best of time if not using a courier. I.e. what could they do if you claim you never received it. Most threat such as those have to be substantiated by a signature upon delivery.
i can't remember which rental company it was, but the fine did come to me via our company PO Box, which is what i always quote when asking to fill in overseas postal home address. I too was surprised when i got it, given, as you say, how shyte the postal service out here can be.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack

Depends. I would imagine the biggies could just ding your credit card for the amount.

I imagine they actually pay the shire or authority, as with an outstanding fine the car could be liable to be impounded, since in all likelihood the local police just have the tag number and not the name of who the car was hired to on what day.

From there, I suppose it depends on the rules of the local authority - the car companies could pursue it, or they could just do what some of the medical companies in the US do, which is sell the debt to a collections agency and let them try their fortune with you.

That is all just speculation on my part, except the first part, I am pretty sure they keep your card on file and just automatically ding you.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Depends. I would imagine the biggies could just ding your credit card for the amount.
They do for somethings. As I said previously, I have been hit with a few fines for driving in a bus lane (had zero idea I was doing it - always happens when I am in Manchester for some reason)...... but I know for sure I've been flashed on multiple occasions over the years and not heard anything from them or been charged. And this is using several of the biggie rental agencies. I'm thinking its because driving in a bus lane doesn't carry a punishment other than a fine, whereas speeding does.