Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Construction Projects - delivery management

Construction Projects - delivery management

Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Construction Projects - delivery management

Originally Posted by krado
Thanks Guys. Rest assured I am keeping an open mind about it all as I guess you have to.

I agree Scamp that docking a mans pay is taking bread from his mouth and that of his family and would not be my first course of action.
I have learnt many tricks of the trade over the years particularly when it comes to the enforcement of the likes of PPE and it will be interesting to see how these will work in practice in the ME. I suspect they may have to evolve ( my tricks that is) and perhaps learn a few new ones. K
The sad thing is that working over here is very different to working in the civilised world. Tricks and tips which worked in the UK are unlikely to work here as many of the workers frankly just don't get it, although go ahead and try and you've got nothing to lose. I have been in the region for 7 years now working on several large projects all with a lot of site time. Some sites are excellent and PPE is not a problem (Western Contractors) and some are an absolute nightmare (non Western Contractors). One of my sites has guys working on mod high scaffolding where it is a requirement for them to wear safety harnesses.... will they, will they buggery! I had their boss there the other day and he was arguing that they thought they were safe. So I said OK then, get them to line up along the edge then one by one jump off. If it's safe they will have no problem with that....thankfully none of them did.

It is also beneficial every now and again to remind the senior Contractors that they are in fact responsible for their labourers and they could quite easily end up in jail if anything serious was to happen. That usually gets them moving on the safety front. A few white lies here and there also add to the reaction.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

krado is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jam25Mack for the advice. Sounds like you have earned a few stripes on the field of battle sorta speak........................ ( was going to write some more, but best leave it there. To sad to contemplate) K
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

fining only works for a very short time, you have to educate and get the lads buy in

I have yet to see safety standards anywhere in our company comparable to what we have in UAE and Qatar - the staff are incredibly proud of what they've done
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Sandboy. I fear its going to be an up hill struggle. From my hotel room, as I write, I cringe at what is going on. There is a 30+ story newbuild with all leading edges exposed. Workers, none with PPE lean out over the leading edge - wind or no wind. Curtin walling going on with a poxy little barrow hoist and straps +10 up with ground workers below.

There is a site next door, from the street with a fully exposed edge 3 floors deep. and we all know the driving leaves a lot to the imagination here. Poor buggers across the way working in a hole 2 floors down in direct sun doing formwork, concrete and steel.

The crane boys were my real highlight yesterday erecting the Tower crane. Their method of roping it was a new one on me. "I believe I can fly" looped in my head. The hse would have me locked-up and rightly so if I allowed that to go on.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sandboy. I fear its going to be an up hill struggle. From my hotel room, as I write, I cringe at what is going on. There is a 30+ story newbuild with all leading edges exposed. Workers, none with PPE lean out over the leading edge - wind or no wind. Curtin walling going on with a poxy little barrow hoist and straps +10 up with ground workers below.

There is a site next door, from the street with a fully exposed edge 3 floors deep. and we all know the driving leaves a lot to the imagination here. Poor buggers across the way working in a hole 2 floors down in direct sun doing formwork, concrete and steel.

The crane boys were my real highlight yesterday erecting the Tower crane. Their method of roping it was a new one on me. "I believe I can fly" looped in my head. The hse would have me locked-up and rightly so if I allowed that to go on.

that's why they employ us mate ! it can be done though, we now send people to the UAE to learn about safety, once we tipped that balance there was no stopping the buggers, the day a Pakistani supervisor gave the Regional President an unsafe act report for the tyres on his car I knew we'd made real progress
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

The site I am working on is run by a Western Contractor and Health and Safety is actually at a good level. I have seen much worse in the UK.

People get chucked of site every day if they are wearing the incorrect PPE. It is harsh but it is the only way to get the point across.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sandboy
that's why they employ us mate ! it can be done though, we now send people to the UAE to learn about safety, once we tipped that balance there was no stopping the buggers, the day a Pakistani supervisor gave the Regional President an unsafe act report for the tyres on his car I knew we'd made real progress
V Good deffo a bench mark!!!
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS
The site I am working on is run by a Western Contractor and Health and Safety is actually at a good level. I have seen much worse in the UK.

People get chucked of site every day if they are wearing the incorrect PPE. It is harsh but it is the only way to get the point across.
On small projects, yes I have seen some flaunting of the rules but not quite as blatant as this. I recently did a OG2012 project with dutch contractors where H&S was a nasty word. ( one of them did try to fly. was wearing his harness bit clipped onto a dandelion - Doh!!!)

I spoke with one of the lads - a Dutch subbie who erects green housed in Holland. ( not 6x4's) the told me " Yes, for sure, we work without safety equipment many 20 meters up, and people fall off and die. Every day people fall off and die" i.e, that's the way it is. He was a nice chap Ricard, and did embrace the UK H&S rules and was really chuffed when he received his Olympic award...
Old Apr 16th 2013, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

On small projects, yes I have seen some flaunting of the rules but not quite as blatant as this. I recently did a OG2012 project with dutch contractors where H&S was a nasty word. ( one of them did try to fly. was wearing his harness bit clipped onto a dandelion - Doh!!!)

I spoke with one of the lads - a Dutch subbie who erects green housed in Holland. ( not 6x4's) the told me " Yes, for sure, we work without safety equipment many 20 meters up, and people fall off and die. Every day people fall off and die" i.e, that's the way it is. He was a nice chap Ricard, and did embrace the UK H&S rules and was really chuffed when he received his Olympic award...
You have to understand that most Asians are used to working in their own Country without anything but a pair of flip flops and shorts. If one dies then it means work for another
Old Apr 16th 2013, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Quackers
You have to understand that most Asians are used to working in their own Country without anything but a pair of flip flops and shorts. If one dies then it means work for another
Understanding and acceptance are two completely different things. Though I do understand your logic, accept what your trying to say, I do not necessarily agree with it. But I will take it onboard.

Note to file: Lesson 2, The ways of the world in the ME- like it or lump it.