Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Confused about grace period!

Confused about grace period!

Old Jan 21st 2015, 6:14 am
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough
Default Confused about grace period!

Hello,

I am a little confused so apologies for the long post but I need your help please

My friend who is a British passport holder arrived in Dubai on 24 October 2014 and decided she wanted to extend her stay so on 02 December 2014 (40 days later instead of 30 days as British passport holders have a 10 day grace period) I drove her to the Hatta/Oman border to do a visa run so that she could extend her stay by another 40 days until 10 January 2015.

As she loves Dubai so much she wanted to extend again so this time she went to the DNRD office at Dubai Airport to pay the fee to extend without having to exit Dubai.

I have noticed from the document issued to her that her extension is valid only until 30 January 2015 as they have granted 60 days from 02 December 2014 and not 30 days from 10 January 2015.

So my question is.... Does she have to leave Dubai on the 30 January 2015 as this is only 30 days or can she leave on the 8th February 2015 to include the 10 day grace period as she wants to stay the extra 10 days if possible.

I have visited the DNRD office and have been given a different answer by everyone I have asked

Obviously we want to get this right so that she does not incur 10 days of overstay fines if this is not the case.

Thank you!
Old Jan 21st 2015, 6:26 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused about grace period!

Better safe than sorry if you ask me
Old Jan 21st 2015, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

There's a 10 day grace period? Never knew about that. The border staff went nuts with me when they read off the wrong stamp in my passport and thought I'd been incountry 34 days instead of 14!!!
Old Jan 21st 2015, 1:32 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

There's been a thread about this on another forum recently and it would seem that application of the overstay fine very much depends on the official on the day. Some don't get fined, others do. 😟
Old Jan 21st 2015, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

if you do the border run to oman you have the grace period of 10 days its actually 9 days, if you go on the 10th day they will fine you. if you go into immigration you can extend for another 30 days but if you have already done a border run they take that into account so they usually (in auh at least) dont give you the full 30 days etc, they take off the grace period. but sometimes you get a fine sometimes not! no hard and fast rule unfortunately, you just need to go back on the 39th day each time and accept that sometimes you will be fine sometimes not if you do anything different.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

immigration extension is only allowed once! any government documentation with grace period ie car renewals is the same you must go the day before the grace period runs out.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 9:42 am
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by busybee2
immigration extension is only allowed once! any government documentation with grace period ie car renewals is the same you must go the day before the grace period runs out.
Hello busybee2,

My friend has the immigration extension (after previously doing the Hatta/Oman border run) of 30 days until 30th January as per her documentation issued by the DNRD office at the airport so would she still have the grace period of another 10 days like you would if you were doing the border run?

So in other words could she return to the UK on say 5th February without incurring fines?